What's new

HOT HOT HOT to bloody HOT

random70

Help me please

Setup

In attic

Grow tent

with 400watt light

2 pc fans(there lies the problem maybe?)

My room is too hot it is reading 35 Degrees Celsius.

Is it the fans are just not goods enough 0.3amp 5" pc fans

Or is it that im drawing the air from the loft that is too hot in the first place? Its about 22-26 in there at the moment.

I think its both rubbish fans and air is to warm to start with.

So what do you recommend guys?

Do I find a way to draw air directly from outside? But what about on warm days yes we do get them here in England now and again. Plus what fans would people recommend Most of my budget is gone but i have approx another 100quid or so to spend if needed

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
There are potentially two issues
(1) Your attic is too hot
(2) Your attic is fine, but your tent is too hot.

If (1) is your problem then nothing short of installing AC or drilling a hole in a wall and drawing air from outside (or a cooler part of the house) is going to fix your problem. In the latter case you will definitely want a larger and more powerful fan. If you can't do either of these two things, then it is probably best to shut down. If (2) is your problem then a bigger extractor fan for your tent will definitely help.

Pine

K

Krshna

I just rigged something up that has dropped my temps by about 5-7 degrees F. I got a cool mist humidifier, put it outside my tent, then duct taped one of my 6" intakes to it, so that all the air blows right into my tent. I think my problem was partially my exhaust fan, but something with this setup is like a swamp chiller, the air blowing into the tent feels really nice and cool. I was thinking if i needed to cool the tent even more (which i dont now) that experimenting with putting ice in the humidifiers res might chill it even more. good luck!

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
An attic... :noway:
After battling the heat all summer, 2 summers back, whilst growing on the second story of a 2 story house, (also in a tent), I definitely sympathize...
Thankfully we moved and they are in a nice cool basement now.

I feel for you Random, Good luck! :canabis:

Dr. D

Veteran
Why do people think that a pc fan is gonna be any good for extraction?
You need to be drawing air in from the upstairs area and out into the loft with two decent extractors and a carbon filter.
If you can't draw air in from the upstairs area then you need to extract out of the loft i.e. the chimney with good circulation you might be ok this way my room gets up to 27 with two tents in there on warm evenings, probably a little too hot in there but they do just fine with plenty of air movement...Peace

random70

Thanks for responses.

Action plan is drill hole from built in wardrobe and install an air brick in said wardrobe and draft air from that to the grow room and continue to exhaust in the attic.

Or draft from the outside up in the attic somehow not sure how to make it stealthy though. Any ideas?

Unfortunately the attic is my only space to grow

So what fans am i going to need to make enough pull.

Regards Random

I appreciate all your help cheers

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
.3 amp 5" fans are pretty beefy. An inline or blower would be better. You really need multiple exchanges per minute.

You'll get better cooling if you use passive intake. IMO, you'd have to grow enough weed to offset the energy costs of drawing cooler air from inside. It's not unlike leaving the fridge door open 24/7. It wouldn't run 24/7 but the figure on your power bill will look like it does.

You could cut an intake on the shade end of the house. Run a a duct directly to the tent intake. Doing this would minimize the hot, attic air-draw into the tent.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
I'm having a similar problem with heat. Have tried a similar solution which is holding temp down to 30 degrees C but now the humidity is climbing to 70%.
What to do!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
1. Run your lights at night.

2. Intake nighttime air if possible, always going to be cooler than daytime.

3. Change to real fans... the higher the outside temp air... the more air you're going to have to move to keep things cool. I would look into a 6" fan for your setup... lots of airflow for a 400w light.

4. Switch to a 4K spectrum Ceramic Metal Halide bulb? Less infra-red output will lower some of the heat generated by objects within your tent.

5. Minimize the dark or black objects within the tent that are exposed to the lamp. They absorb infra-red and give off heat. White everywhere is the coolest. :D

6. Run a humidifier or some other humidifying device at your intakes... as long as your humidity doesn't go over 40-50% during flower.

Keep at it and you'll figure it out. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

BattleAxe

Don't take this the wrong way but I would highly suggest that you read the sticky ventilation 101 here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862&highlight=ventilation+101

Ventilation is a bitch, we have all been there, this thread along with helpful input from others helped me solve my woes.

Since you are in the attic, I would recommend looking into those big attic fans, it's gonna require a hole to be cut in the side of the attic but wouldn't look out of place, you could draw cool air from outside, through, your tent and exhaust either out of your chimney or the opposite side of your attic with another hole with I think what is called a gable.

GL guy.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Action plan is drill hole from built in wardrobe and install an air brick in said wardrobe and draft air from that to the grow room and continue to exhaust in the attic.

that is your solution. my cabs sre also in the attic and drawing air up from the house means its more of a comfortable temp for plants whether your problem up there is too hot or too cold (i have both - summer and winter)

you'll need a 4" or 5" inline fan to cool the cab, dont forget the carbon filter. exhausting into the attic is fine.

VG

Kanye WeED

Heat rises my friend......I'd say invest in some cool equipment.....if u have the fans running and its still to hot.....yea I'd say they ain't working.....lol....try running your lights @ the coolest part of the day.....that helps.....and try more fans......or maybe a small portable air condition unit....