What's new

Bill to Legalize Marijuana is Up In Smoke!

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Religious Faithful, Law Enforcement and Activists Hail Victory

The California Legislature formally proclaimed Assembly Bill 390 "dead on arrival" today as lawmakers rejected an 11th hour plan to save it from demise. Opponents of the measure hail the news as a resounding victory for the people of California.

"Tom Ammiano is trying to spin his committee's endorsement of the bill as a major breakthrough that will lead to a national legalization movement; yet his own colleagues in the Legislature are unwilling to take it any further than the seven-member Public Safety Committee," said an elated John Redman, executive director of Californians for Drug Free Youth (CADFY). "In deciding not to advance this measure, the California Legislature recognized that AB 390 was bad public policy. And, in spite of the four Bay Area legislators who voted for its passage in committee, the majority of lawmakers didn't even think the bill was worth taking up in subsequent committees or the Assembly floor."

Procedurally, the Assembly Health Committee had to act on AB 390 by today, January 15, 2010, to keep it alive. Since members chose to miss that deadline, AB 390 will not reach the Assembly floor, effectively killing it.

"This victory is really for the children growing up in California's neighborhoods," said Bishop Ron Allen, founder and president of the International Faith Based Coalition, who admits to being led down a destructive path of cocaine addiction that started with marijuana. "Our grassroots efforts paid off in reaching California voters to support our dream that our communities become free of drugs and are made safer for our kids."

"I nearly lost everything - my home, my family and my reputation - as a result of taking that first puff of pot, and I have lived to regret it every day," said Allen, who resides in drug-infested Oak Park, Sacramento. "We've made it our mission to stamp out this destructive drug once and for all, and we will not relent until our work is finished."

As a recognized public safety expert and retired veteran CHP officer and assistant chief, Assemblymember Danny Gilmore (R-Hanford) voted against the bill. "We're going to legalize marijuana and tax it and then use that money to educate our kids about the harms of drugs? You got to be kidding me!"

Added Redman, "Plain and simple, taxing marijuana is blood money. I think the Legislature came to its senses in realizing how ridiculous it would be to turn to drugs to balance the budget. There are legitimate ways to get our economy moving again, and this is not one of them."

SOURCE International Faith Based Coalition

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bill-to-legalize-marijuana-is-up-in-smoke-81751932.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip

Veteran
This is sad. Looks like it's up to the PEOPLE to make marijuana legal cause politicians are being controlled by special interests.

Now we're gonna be stuck with the Gang of Four's initiative...

Damn. I was really hoping this bill would pass.
To save the kids? Really? Do they not realize the laws they have in place now make it easier for kids to get weed? The bill set the age limit @ 21 just like alcohol.
Nd I'm tired of the damn gateway excuse. The weed did not tell you to do cocaine. You took the choice to snort it up your nose. I've seen family members steal from each other b/c of cocaine. I've seen ppl tweaking on crack, didn't look like fun. I would NEVER do anything other than weed nd alcohol.

K

Kola Radical

Friggin' worthless republican churchies.

Piss on a republican today!

itisme

Veteran
Wussies, weasal, scondrals, scallawags and swine! That is what it amounts too :( Sad to say that NOBODY THAT CAN GAIN A POSITION OF POWER WILL KEEP A BACKBONE ON LEAGAILZATION EITHER!

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Assemblymember Danny Gilmore (R-Hanford) voted against the bill. "We're going to legalize marijuana and tax it and then use that money to educate our kids about the harms of drugs? You got to be kidding me!"

No, not kidding.
Makes me think of another drug that is legalized and taxed. Then that money is used for education on the dangers of...
duh, duh, duh, nuh!
Al$%hol.

The former coke head probably doesn't realize that it was the drug dealer not that drug that was the gateway. You still can't buy coke at the dispensary, but the unregulated drug dealer is out of weed, so here try this.
Also, as a former AA attendee, he must have forgotten the thing about trading one addiction for another (e.g. coke for sex, coke for excecise, coke for coffee, or coke for a crusade to bring meaning to one's insignificant life.) Besides, he probably fingers little boys at the altar. No harm done there.

On the bright side, it will take that much longer for Cali to depress the price on a national scale.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Fucked up fucking strange world. Fuck it !

Bishop Ron Allen is an ignorant moron! I can't wait for him to get caught giving a blow job to a trucker at a highway rest stop.

A

arrg

It is defiantly a victory for the kids. Anything that keeps a black market going increases their access. Someday when it is legal it won't be a must have for coolness factor and be harder to get when law abiding citezens don't want to sell it to underage kids. But until then all the kiddies will have easy access.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
These Conservative Parents opposed are just jealous that their teenagers get better pot than they can get... It has always been that way...!!! haha....

But seriously, we would be best served, IMHO, at this point, if we waited until the 2012 elections to vote on this... More like-minded people will be mobilized by a National Election process to vote. That can only help our cause.

UNfortunately, it looks like an inferior bill is all we have left for now, and if it got voted in we would NOT be well-served by it.

I'd rather wait.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is sad. Looks like it's up to the PEOPLE to make marijuana legal cause politicians are being controlled by special interests.

Now we're gonna be stuck with the Gang of Four's initiative...

Your absolutely right Skip. If we want it it's up to us. I hope we all get out and vote in November.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I've seen this before, when a bill calls for major changes, instead of small ones its seen as radical and is easier to shoot down.

The path to legalization IMHO is small steps, Medical MJ, Personal Use, Personal growing, etc.. then restricted sales.. etc.. This makes more sense to me.

When I see a 50 state mMJ law, followed with a federal recognition of MMJ, the legalization push will be easier.

wopuVR

I am appalled that they try to spin the Bishop as some sort of reformed pot smoker who "knows" its bad, because hes been there. He's nothing but a hypocrit. He was never a true smoker. It seems the reason he got into cocaine is because hes a moron, with no direction in his life, and little capacity to think for himself. Pot -> coke -> church. I bet he feels reformed too, he probably feels like he should be spreading the good word of his discovery, telling people how bad it was when he was a druggy and how faith has changed him. I think hes still the same stupid person he was before, except now he feels like he needs to convince others to be stupid too.

Any true smoker of ganja would quickly acknowledge that cocaine is a completely different drug, with effects on the complete opposite spectrum of things. I know many people who have done coke, didn't really care for it, and still continue to smoke marijuana. Many of these people are also against drinking. I personally would say, legalize marijuana, prohibit alcohol, see how that works out for a decade or so... Cocaine is more along the lines of caffeine or nicotine, and millions of Americans love feeling sped up and cracked out. I don't. I wan't to relax after coming home from all the noise, my brain being barraged by advertisements and lies and having to witness these millions of cracked out morons do illogical stupid things, say moronic things, hate for no reason at all, and behave like ignorant scum. I could drink, which would clear my mind of all thought, like a nice brain flush down the toilet. Or I could smoke and dissolve into my own thoughts, meditate on all those lame things. I get the feeling, someone doesn't want me to think about these things, or to meditate on them, they want me to just do whatever without thinking and not ask questions.. I see how it is.

If half the people in this country actually thought... wow. I'm living a dream, I'm living a dream.

*two thumbs down*

I knew it wouldn't pass though. Our only hope this year comes in November. All of us Cali-Heads need to vote this year!!

Kushables

Brainwashed masses full of corruption led by the wicked, blind to their own actions and the life of manipulation they've lived for so long. To see so many still asleep and under the control of this draconian agenda saddens me. Turned against one of the keys for our survival, the most beneficial plant this planet has to offer, I can feel my heart chakra pulsing. May we all elevate in vibration and see one another in true light, one love :joint:

StevenSteve

If this is the land of the free we need to separate from the haters and legalize it ourselves in our own communities just like Breckinridge Colorado did

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
If this is the land of the free we need to separate from the haters and legalize it ourselves in our own communities just like Breckinridge Colorado did

Its not that simply.

Everything comes with a price, even "freedom" (which I can heavily debate whether or not we're free).

A lot of these bills would restrict people in ways that they do not wish. IE County decisions on distribution. The inability for renters to grow legally without landlord permission. Only big business having access to the resources and passing the restrictions to be able to produced for the public.

I could go on, but I just don't see the positives outweighing negatives.