What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Care for Your Glass Bongs/Pipes

L

LolaGal

Puffin on your glass pipe or bong means one thing! Dirty GLASS!

Yuck! Although I have been smoking for many years, there are things about glass that I only recently learned. Here's a few tips I have learned on caring for your glass.

1) CLEANING- Glass is cleaned the easiest with KOSHER salt and 70%-90% rubbing Alcohol. Just put one teaspoon of salt in the bong or pipe and add a little alcohol. Shake and empty. If done DAILY, this only takes about 5 minutes total.

(Acrylic bongs best cleaned with vegetable oil).

2) OILING THE GLASS!!!!!! Yup this is the most important part. If you don't oil the glass where the joints touch, they are gonna STICK in there! Once they stick, it is a bear to get them back apart.

Just take your finger and dip into a little olive oil or vegetable oil. Wipe your finger on the bottom of the glass BOWL and also on the join of the glass DOWNSTEM. Go easy! There ain't no need to get oil all over everything! Just the parts where glass touches glass!

Nobody bothered to tell me this in any book, or thread that I read and I kept getting the durn things stuck! Just a little bit of oil will make this problem go away forever.

Anybody got any more good tips?

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of people already know this but i'll throw it out there again for anyone that dont.

Here is a very very very easy way to clean all you smoking devices with out any hard work ( scrubbing/ shaking )

- Find a cooking pot that is big enough to put all you smoking devices in
- Fill the pot up with water and use 1/4 simple green
- Let it cook ( sit there ) for some good time
- Take all you smoking devices out and rinse em well
- Take a look and you'll be amaze ( they will all look brand new )

cheers,
red.

2Lazy

I hear a drop or two of orange oil in the alcohol salt mixture goes a long ways to keeping it cleaner for longer :)

immaculate

Yeah, I'd just be careful with boiling. I've heard boiling can negatively affect some fuming and certain colors of class (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, it's not very practical for anything besides a spoon.

I think the most important thing is to start taking care of class from Day One. Otherwise just do the EPSOM SALT/90% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL cycle for resin that is old and caked on. Get 90% ALC. whenever possible. 70% really does not do the trick compared to 90% and IT IS A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE!

The one thing I'm interested in, do any of you neo-hippies have any methods of freshening a tube? Are there natural oils can be added to the cleaning process like lavender to take that resin/alc. stench away?

PEACE N LOVE PRAISE JAH :tiphat:

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I never understood the boiling thing. where does all the resin go? I imagine it sticking to sides the pot. haha that would be fun

iso and salt. then rinse. vinegar. then rinse

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You forgot to tell them that it stinks to holy hell when you boil them though.

I never had a problem with the smells when it come to boiling,
I've done this many many time and it works 100% of the time with out stinkin up my house.

For those who ask why boil and whats the point, i guess you have to try to find out.

cheers,
red.

Che

Veteran
I use Orange Chronic's Super Soaker to clean bowls and diffusers, and 99% ISO and Coarse salt on my tubes. They don't have any odor or residues once they've been rinsed thoroughly.