What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane/Propane Ratio

HWY36

Is there a way to tell the butane to propane ratio inside the tank? Iv'e seen a chart posted on here before with temperature and PSI that seemed to reveal the ratio by gauging both. My gauge only has one needle for both. Do I need a temp gauge that goes down to the liquid? Do I need a separate PSI gauge? Is this an accurate way of determining the ratio or was I misunderstanding that chart?

HWY36

Is there a way to tell the butane to propane ratio inside the tank? Iv'e seen a chart posted on here before with temperature and PSI that seemed to reveal the ratio by gauging both. My gauge only has one needle for both. Do I need a temp gauge that goes down to the liquid? Do I need a separate PSI gauge? Is this an accurate way of determining the ratio or was I misunderstanding that chart?

Anybody.....out there? Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me; is there anyone home?

Old Gold

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

Ideally you do want a probe to reach the liquid, but if you have to, let the tank sit in a steady temperature water bath for a few hours until the temperature is even throughout. Then check your tank pressure. It'll help to chill the tank below the boiling point of each of those to ensure no atmospheric pressure or N2 pressure (if you use it) exists.

Is your gauge one of those stupid ammonia refrigerant gauges? Pay no attention to the temperature reading if so....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The chart OG posted shows the pressure at different mixes and temperatures.

If you soak the tank in a bath long enough for it to stabilize at that temperature, it should ostensibly be close enough.

HWY36

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

Ideally you do want a probe to reach the liquid, but if you have to, let the tank sit in a steady temperature water bath for a few hours until the temperature is even throughout. Then check your tank pressure. It'll help to chill the tank below the boiling point of each of those to ensure no atmospheric pressure or N2 pressure (if you use it) exists.

Is your gauge one of those stupid ammonia refrigerant gauges? Pay no attention to the temperature reading if so....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Do you have a recommendation as to what gauge to use instead of the useless ammonia refrigerant gauge?
Is there an ideal temperature for the water bath?