What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to create an air-gap to prevent continuous water flow/backflow

IngFarmer

Hello guys, I'm having some problems recently, I updated my resevoir to a 100 liter tank..in which my feed pump lies in connected to a timer and at intervals feed the girls, who all have a single personal feed tube connected to one big main tube which goes into the 100 liter tank.

the problem is that after feeding...there is this continuos flow, commonly known as water backflow but in my case is the same direction...seeking online the way to stop it is to create an airgap, but I don't know how to go about that...
I went to the local hardware store to buy a no-return valve...forgetting that my case is not a backflow but a continuous forward flow...
so this no-return-valve I bought has been practically useless...because it will work in case the feed water returned from the pots but not in the inverse case...
so now what I do is I have to go personaly to lift the pump out of the tank to make some air go into the tube to stop this..of course this is not possible for long...

how do you guys solve such a problem?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Put a backflow preventer on a high point in the system, installed vertically with a "T" fitting.

If I understand your issue correctly.

IngFarmer

Put a backflow preventer on a high point in the system, installed vertically with a "T" fitting.

If I understand your issue correctly.

yes I bought the backflow preventer, what I called the noreturn valve... but what do you mean by installing it with a "T" fitting..can you explain how to go about that? this is the picture of the backflow preventer I bought...
at the moment is it pretty much useless in that position..so I will do with some good instructions on how to go about fitting it to prevent the water in the black tank to go on feeding even though the pump is off..

Attachments

• IMG_0041[1].jpg
    IMG_0041[1].jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 8

Asslover

Veteran
Very simple, punch a small hole in the line that is in the tank right above the water line and insert a small tube so that while your pump is on the water drip back into the rez. When the pump stops, air will get sucked into the line and stop the siphoning.

IngFarmer

Very simple, punch a small hole in the line that is in the tank right above the water line and insert a small tube so that while your pump is on the water drip back into the rez. When the pump stops, air will get sucked into the line and stop the siphoning.

yeah I think that will do... thanks..

IngFarmer

nice one AssLover, thanks a lot...your nick and avatar got me rolling on the floor though..hahaha...thanks again..have a good evening :D

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes I bought the backflow preventer, what I called the noreturn valve... but what do you mean by installing it with a "T" fitting..can you explain how to go about that? this is the picture of the backflow preventer I bought...
at the moment is it pretty much useless in that position..so I will do with some good instructions on how to go about fitting it to prevent the water in the black tank to go on feeding even though the pump is off..

Installed above the reservoir/table height, creating a branch with the T fitting to which you would attach the backflow, making an antisiphon. Easier with rigid piping system.

However, the suggestion to stick a small piece of pipe in is a simpler solution.

This. I have this on my res too and it's cheap and works perfectly.