What's new

TheJointedOne's seed garden 2017

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hey all. I wanted to start this thread to share a garden I will be growing this season.

I've not grown here, and it is not my main focus this year. I am a independent contractor of sorts, and elsewhere run a couple commercial gardens for some folks. Those gardens are from clone, and it's pretty generic, in terms of variety.

So...this garden I'll be documenting here is a side project. I'll be here just 2-3 times a week, which will be plenty.

The plan is for 20 65gallon smart pots, with a goal of 60lbs. I'm going with 65s for a few reasons, ill touch on that later when the time comes. Also I'm giving a % of my yield to the old man that owns this property, fwiw.

It will be all from seed (edit- clones, and fem seed are also a possibility here, what im running is up in the air still). I'm thinking of going with 4-5 different varieties. Pop 50 beans and pick 20 females. So that means choosing 5 packs out of my collection, which will be tough, I've got lots of goodies. Here's what I've narrowed it down to; "its all up in the air"

So I've got some decisions to make, any input you all might have is always appreciated. I'll probably start seeds in mid April. I'm not in any rush to plant this garden, and won't put anything in its final home till they show preflower sex anyways.

Soil will be made on site. I'm torn between Toms mix and Coots mix. I've run Coots before with success. Lots of time to figure that out on this garden. I could probably go straight into the ground, but the property has gophers, so smart pots it will be. Please don't hate, I run huge mounds and long fat rows in ground at my other spots.

OK well more info later as I get the place cleaned up and ready to plant.

Here's some pics of how I found it. Couple little spots I'm gonna put 10 plants in each area.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for coming by!

p5150

would you mind sharing your thoughts on in ground vs above other than gophers??? i'm new and can go either way??

theJointedOne

Veteran
would you mind sharing your thoughts on in ground vs above other than gophers??? i'm new and can go either way??

There are various pros and cons for each. I'll refer you to the "Growing large plants, outdoors " thread. It has much of this discussed over years of posts, as well as tons of other pertinent information for new growers.

Cheers beanz, happy to have you. Forgive me if the updates come in slow for another month or so, after that I'll try to dedicate some time every couple days to updating.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good luck this year TJO, hope you are doing well man.

def go with the jungle spice, i have been smoking congo pine x mothers milk for what seems like a year straight and i don't get sick of it. super complex odor lemon pine/sweet vanilla with a nice high.

HillMizer

I've run coots and toms. I'm partial to not using all the rock dust that's in coots, waste of money for just one season for sure.
I say something like Tom Hill's mix but instead of using black gold use 65% peat 25% lava rock and 10% compost. There was a little too much nitrate and potassium in my tom hill mix made with potting soil. Yes to gypsum and yes to bonemeal or dical. I love using the nutri-rich 4-3-2 pellets instead of straight manure as well. I get them for a better price too.

jtk707

Love the goal you set of 60 elbows . What size pot wil you start them in and what size pot will you gow them in till they show sex . Good luck

theJointedOne

Veteran
I've run coots and toms. I'm partial to not using all the rock dust that's in coots, waste of money for just one season for sure.
I say something like Tom Hill's mix but instead of using black gold use 65% peat 25% lava rock and 10% compost. There was a little too much nitrate and potassium in my tom hill mix made with potting soil. Yes to gypsum and yes to bonemeal or dical. I love using the nutri-rich 4-3-2 pellets instead of straight manure as well. I get them for a better price too.

Right on, thanks for the info. I definitely see your point. Note taken.

Love the goal you set of 60 elbows . What size pot wil you start them in and what size pot will you gow them in till they show sex . Good luck

Thanks, honestly id be stoked on 40 since this is a side project. 40-60 would be great. Im planning on starting the seeds in soil flats. Then once they sprout transfer those to 1's, then 3's or 5's.

theJointedOne

Veteran
haha yea you got me. I guess the goal is 60, but still stoked on 40 lol. Honestly it will be pretty barebones in terms of effort and input.

GanjaRebelSeeds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bet you could hit 2.5 plus for each 65, especially if from seed. stoked to see what you do.

When do plan on popping seeds? I'd look into the new moon in April. Bet you could plant April 12-21 and still hit 2 per if you get the soil mix right.

I'm in!!

I'm doing something eerily similar. Same pot size too but I'm going to go with between 50-99 plants. We're the same time frame too. Its like you're my soul brotha lol. Best of luck man
How are you handling the watering situation?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Apc34v2.gif

great roster of strains! i have packs of several of those. dont know much about the Old Betsy, what's the story with that? I'm really curious about Faceoff bx2 for outdoors, my friend did the Dosidos last year and turned out great so the faceoff must be something special

theJointedOne

Veteran
I bet you could hit 2.5 plus for each 65, especially if from seed. stoked to see what you do.

When do plan on popping seeds? I'd look into the new moon in April. Bet you could plant April 12-21 and still hit 2 per if you get the soil mix right.

Thank you bro. I'm considering popping seeds mid to late April, trying to have them plugged in homes no later than June 1st. Garden is gonna be about half Rebel Grown!

I'm in!!

I'm doing something eerily similar. Same pot size too but I'm going to go with between 50-99 plants. We're the same time frame too. Its like you're my soul brotha lol. Best of luck man
How are you handling the watering situation?

Thank you. Well you'll have to start a thread and we can share notes. As far as watering I've got a mainline running right to the patch and I'm probably going to water by hand each time I visit this property, so about 2-3 times a week I'll give them a good soak once they are established and in need. Going to do a thick layer of mulch too to cut down on the evaporation. What are you growing variety wise?

View Image

great roster of strains! i have packs of several of those. dont know much about the Old Betsy, what's the story with that? I'm really curious about Faceoff bx2 for outdoors, my friend did the Dosidos last year and turned out great so the faceoff must be something special

Cool bro, thanks for coming by. I wish we had more time to chat and burn one at the cup, maybe next year. The old Betsy is a San Diego cultivar from around the late 90s I believe. I personally think it's a nl x skunk or something basic like that. It gets huge, done oct 15th. I had a handful get over 10 last season, and pumps out forearm colas that have a overly sweet mango babyshit smell (byf's smell description lol)

jtk707

How big are the two areas square footage wise I have a spot that's 30 by 50 or 150 square feet using the same size pots as you . just wondering how big each of the two areas you have are thanks

plantingplants

Does all that peat need some liming material?

TJO, looks like fun. I was thinking of doing Tom Hill mix, but buying all that black gold makes it stupid expensive. I like Mizer's idea of using a peat mix as a base but I'm not comfortable guessing at 40 yds... no time to test a small batch.

theJointedOne

Veteran
How big are the two areas square footage wise I have a spot that's 30 by 50 or 150 square feet using the same size pots as you . just wondering how big each of the two areas you have are thanks

hey man, I think you meant to say 1500 ft2. For me one plot is about 30x15, the other about the same, approximately. Thats just a guess.

Does all that peat need some liming material?

TJO, looks like fun. I was thinking of doing Tom Hill mix, but buying all that black gold makes it stupid expensive. I like Mizer's idea of using a peat mix as a base but I'm not comfortable guessing at 40 yds... no time to test a small batch.

Yea i hear ya, im on the fence about a lot of things in this garden, soil being one. I may go the easy route and just do peat perlite and dr earth ammends, with twice a week foliar feeds.

One thing about this place is its a one season spot for me, just a side project. But that being said i know the guy who owns the land and he definitely would take advantage of any soil I did leave behind. Investing in a decent mix knowing i wouldnt really get to utilize it's full potential this year isnt a huge downer, since the soil would be used after me by others.

Im also considering making this a clone garden haha, which would nullify the title of this thread. But who knows. It would be much easier for me in this instance to know what to expect ie harvest dates yeilds ect. I could throw 20 clones of something excellent thats not a late finisher. And at the end of the day if i am looking for anything on the backend in the fall or winter, it makes everything much smoother having lots of one or two as opposed to 10 diff thngs of two or three each...The only problem with clones is this site is off grid, way off grid, and i would not be able to run a supplemental lighting setup, so id have to plant around early june, and hope that through some proper shading techniques the first week or so, that they dont go into flower straight off. Ive planted clones mid june before without supp and had no problem, but its a risk for sure any earlier than that. Maybe ill go fem seed route...ive got quite a few from nspecta and i know some of the dna and other lines are proven. Also it would realy cut down on the waiting game waiting for the seeds to show preflowers ect....hmmmm

I'll have to decide in about a month.

So far nothing is really happening. I'm going to go up there and trim some bushes and put up a fence in a a few weeks. Hope to have soil in pots by first week of may, and plants planted june 1st, maybe earlier if i go with the fem seed route.