What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Big Boy Grow

Sazugt

Alright, so this is my first real grow and I'm just trying to get a feel for what is "normal" so please excuse my ignorance and thanks for your help!

First off my grow set up is a 4x4x7 tent with 2x 20000 lumen output T5HO fixtures with 4x bloom bulbs in each. All plants are in organic potting mix supplemented with perlite in 5 gallon smartpots. The current nutes these guys are taking is 15ml/ gal of Gen Hydro BioThrive Bloom and 30ml/ gal of Terpinator. I have 3 Acapulco Gold and 4 Sour Kush in the tent. Palnts are on the standard 12/12 lighting since February 4th

Question 1: The below picture shows a close up of one of the flowers, most of the main flowers are about this size and in this stage of development. They still seem small to me. How do they look for Day 1 Week 4 of flower?
picture.php

Question 2: This image shows a pic of my canopy. I am concerned that the canopy isn't even, and as you can see there is a plant growing straight up between the two lamps! I am worried I should raise the lamp but wonder if that will result in a loss of weight for all the lower canopy which is where most of the flowers are. So should I raise the lamp or is there another canopy management technique I am missing?
picture.php

Question 3: Lastly, there are white spots showing up on a few of my lower canopy leaves as shown in the image below. Are these normal or are there bugs or something in there causing this to happen? I have one yellow sticky card hanging from the top of the tent that has been collecting small gnats so I think that might be my problem, but like I said I'm new!
picture.php

Thanks in advance for all your help gang I truly appreciate the knowledge you guys give to empower others to grow their own!

-SAZUGT

Sazugt

14 views and no replies? Show me some love man, someone has got to have some words of wisdom to share!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
No pics is working against getting answers.

Using T5 fluorescent units for budding has proven doable but the yields are light and the buds will be airy. Replacing half the bulbs with Zoo Med's "FloraSun" bulbs will fill in some needed spectrum, long wave red and UVB as well as continuous full spectrum.
But more intensity is needed. A PAR meter against the glass of most T5 grow bulbs reads 350-550 umol. For comparison, the minimum for secondary branches in the budroom is 700 umol with 900-1000 on top.

Scrog is for gardens where the canopy has to be smooth across the top. Too tall happens a couple times per year where a cola will be a foot or more taller than the rest of the canopy. My solution is to let it go between the lights and give it a quarter turn every watering.

With no pics it is hard to tell, but white spots are often caused by clusters of Spider Mite eggs glued to the underside of the leaf. Tiny things a magnifying glass can easily identify.

In the photo the plant silhouetted on the left ended up a full foot taller than the bottom of the reflector. The cola is less than it could be but the overall plant health is unaffected.

Attachments

• The plant in foreground has three weeks left.jpg
    The plant in foreground has three weeks left.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 19

Sazugt

Alright, I had the album set to "private" and maybe that's why you couldn't see them. Are they working now?

Sazugt

I attached the images this time... hopefully that helps. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Attachments

• 20170226_095000.jpg
    20170226_095000.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170226_095012.jpg
    20170226_095012.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170226_101820.jpg
    20170226_101820.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes buds look small...chalk it up to not enough light. Inspect leaves w a magnifying glass or handheld scope. Many bugs are hard to see without aid of magnification.

Lethal

Hi Sazugt,

according to the pictures my guess would be spider mites based on the white spots on the leaves as thats the first sign you can usually spot they started leaching on these leaves. How to be sure? Turn the leave upside down if you have ok eyes you should be able to spot things which don't belong there tiny white parts are eggs and you might even see some little movement around these are the mature ones. Other sign are tiny webs. Well if its them start eradicating them. One thing they dont like at all is humidity but it won't stop them just slow them down. Use some pesticide on them organic or chem make your choice there are planty of possibilities, but you want to stop them asap as they can really ruin your crop.

Trich_Tyson

I think with a TV you are going to want a little bit more of an even canopy.. Scrog is probably your move. Those lower buds are pretty far.

How far along are they.. you can probably still pull down those tops.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Alright, I had the album set to "private" and maybe that's why you couldn't see them. Are they working now?

Yes, we can see your photos. As somebody said, you need to have better /stronger lights for flowering- that's why they're kind of stretching, and it's why your buds are kind of small for four weeks.

I can't help you with the spider mites, never had to deal with those personally.

Don't give up, it takes a few rounds to get dialed in. You're on the right track.

Sazugt

I think with a TV you are going to want a little bit more of an even canopy.. Scrog is probably your move. Those lower buds are pretty far.

Yesterday was their first day of their 4th week in flower. The distance from the very top of the canopy to the lowest buds is about 24".

Thinking about switching lamps after this run and using these guys in my organic greens grow. What lamps would you guys reccomend? I know the MH HPS lamps seem to be the standard but heat is a huge problem in my space. Thinking about going to LED panels but they seem expensive... Either way it seems clear I need to switch those bad boys out...

Sazugt

Yesterday was their first day of their 4th week in flower. The distance from the very top of the canopy to the lowest buds is about 24".

Thinking about switching lamps after this run and using these guys in my organic greens grow. What lamps would you guys reccomend? I know the MH HPS lamps seem to be the standard but heat is a huge problem in my space. Thinking about going to LED panels but they seem expensive... Either way it seems clear I need to switch those bad boys out...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I use CFL's. Cheap, easy to find and effective. Check out a thread called CFL Cub.

Trich_Tyson

You can dial in t5 or cfl.
I'd recommend mh or hps. Heat is definitely the issue there. Usually where there is a will there is a way tho

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Yes Ya lights r weak but give it time...Where is the gold from????? Col and Acapulco gold are pure sativas n take much longer to initiate flower n finish compared to a sour kush.......

Sazugt

Yes Ya lights r weak but give it time...Where is the gold from????? Col and Acapulco gold are pure sativas n take much longer to initiate flower n finish compared to a sour kush.......

The AG I got from when I worked for a dispensary. We had another strain hermie and it pollinated the AG we had flowering. The cross is unkown but I'm pretty sure it was one of our Sour Kush plants that was the father.

I should have done more research. It seems like I'll need to harvest the Sour Kush once it's ready and just wait on the AG....

Sazugt

So I've been watching the plants closely and have positively identified the culprit responsible for the leaf damage. It's thrips. That said, does anyone know any management strategies I can use late in flower? So far they haven't gotten near the buds but I gotta hold them back for another 3-4 weeks at least!

I sprayed with neem as a first step but I'm worried to keep using it as the buds ripen, I'm not too keen on smoking poison... I read that spinosad is a good product to use but just looking for your guys recommendation and management strategies. Thanks!

-Sazugt

onavelzy

Veteran

If you're looking for a low cost, high intensity, low heat output lighting system, take a few minutes and look over what Terpene has been doing with screw in LED light bulbs..

Even his simple set up was more work than I wanted to do so I just got a 4 ft power strip, some plug in sockets and an 8 pack of 8.5W LED bulbs (HD, i think they were $13 for the pack). My total cost for one strip was about $50. The light out put at 18 inches is the same as my 630 CMH has at 4 feet. No heat build up at all.

picture.php

get two or three of those strips to light a 4x4 area. Your biggest issues will be: is this too much light? and what to do with all the money you didn't spent on the fancy pants lighting set ups and electricity bill

Best of luck with your grow!

Ona

Last edited: