What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trump administration hints at ‘greater enforcement’ of marijuana laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-NUT

Veteran
We need a president that isnt rich and doesnt want to be. Hillary would have fucked us all just as much as the idiot in charge. Bernie would have won for sure. Everybody should harass and publicly shame debbie "the **** whore" wasserman shultz. She should be held accountable for fucking bernie and america over. If she runs for office again in fl I will show up at a campaign stop to fuck her good time up and let eveybody know trump is her fault.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
We need a president that isnt rich and doesnt want to be. Hillary would have fucked us all just as much as the idiot in charge. Bernie would have won for sure. Everybody should harass and publicly shame debbie "the **** whore" wasserman shultz. She should be held accountable for fucking bernie and america over. If she runs for office again in fl I will show up at a campaign stop to fuck her good time up and let eveybody know trump is her fault.

People can be thrown in jail for 30 years, for victimless crime, and those political whores screw 300 million people, and could cause millions to die from their actions, and nothing is done.

Ready4

Veteran
Funny how blind people can be to connecting events.

The same week the the Trump administration did the topic of this thread, the also took away the action that blocked the building of any new private prisons.
Amazing coincidence ? I think not.

5% of the World's population, 25% of the World's prisoners.
Building new private prisons enriches who ?
What we have in the Trump administration is simply billionaires taking action, for their billionaire relatives & buddies, to profit more billions.
No swamp draining. No fighting the establishment.
The billionaires in charge will try to control the MJ completely for the same benefit of the same billionaires.

iBogart

Veteran
Published: Feb 27, 2017, 4:09 pm • Updated: about 3 hours ago

Sessions: More violence around marijuana than ‘one would think’

Attorney General says he doesn't think America will be a better place with "more people smoking pot."

By Sadie Gurman and Eric Tucker, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department will try to adopt “responsible policies” for enforcement of federal anti-marijuana laws, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday, adding that he believes violence surrounds sales and use of the drug in the U.S.

In a meeting with reporters, Sessions said the department was reviewing an Obama administration Justice Department memo that gave states flexibility in passing marijuana laws.

“Experts are telling me there’s more violence around marijuana than one would think,” Sessions said.

The comments were in keeping with remarks last week from White House spokesman Sean Spicer, who said the Justice Department would step up enforcement of federal law against recreational marijuana.

Sessions stopped short of saying what he would do, but said he doesn’t think America will be a better place with “more people smoking pot.”

“I am definitely not a fan of expanded use of marijuana,” he said. “But states, they can pass the laws they choose. I would just say, it does remain a violation of federal law to distribute marijuana throughout any place in the United States, whether a state legalizes it or not.”

Eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for recreational use. The Justice Department has several options available should it decide to enforce the law, including filing lawsuits on the grounds that state laws regulating pot are unconstitutional because they are pre-empted by federal law.

Studies have found no correlation between legalization of marijuana and violent crime rates. But law enforcement officials in states such as Colorado say drug traffickers have taken advantage of lax marijuana laws to hide in plain sight, illegally growing and shipping the drug across state lines, where it can sell for much higher.

Pot advocates say the officials have exaggerated the problem.

“You can’t sue somebody for a drug debt. The only way to get your money is through strong-arm tactics, and violence tends to follow that,” Sessions said.

Sessions said he met with Nebraska’s attorney general, who sued Colorado for allegedly not keeping marijuana within its borders. That lawsuit was dismissed by the U.S. Supreme Court, but neighboring states continue to gripe that Colorado and other pot-legal states have not done enough to keep the drug from crossing their borders.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/27/jeff-sessions-federal-marijuana-policy/74493/

Jhhnn

Veteran
“You can’t sue somebody for a drug debt. The only way to get your money is through strong-arm tactics, and violence tends to follow that,” Sessions said.

It was always that way with the black market. Sessions & Trump can make it that way again everywhere by closing the pot shops in legalized states.

I did enjoy the way that the SCOTUS stuffed the Oklahoma Nebraska lawsuit against Colorado. They deemed it so frivolous that they didn't even comment.

The one takeaway from all this that people need to heed is that the Feds will co-opt local authorities in their war against interstate operations. We've seen a lot of that in Southern Colorado. With more legalized states we'll see a lot more of it & we may see more federal money for Staties to break travelers' balls.

SMS65

It doesn't matter if the president is rich or not. Right now, the president has too much power, this country turned the office into almost a God.
The president is supposed to be just one of three checks and balances. If Senators and Judges don't need to fly and drove around with a small army, neither should the President.

What we need is to go back to the way it was supposed to be, with a small federal govt. But that won't happen.

paper thorn

Veteran
fuuny to hear people act like Trump is some kind of 'rabid' conservative. Remember how in the primaries the right was bitching that they were never trump and Trump was not a conservative?
BTW jhhhn, Mitt lost because millions of guys like me did not vote for him, just like we would not vote for McCain or Dole or any other RINOs. We hated Bush too. both of them.

Trump's base is a bit different than you think. much more like me than the classic old republican.
not saying we have no worries, but all this lunatic, sky is falling Trump is a dictator crap is, well, crap.

Trump's real opposition are establishment RINOs.

btw, Hillary said, as has been pointed out here, that she wanted to move MJ to sch2.

pulling my hair out about that one.

nice company next to meth, cocaine and valium and oxycodone, etc. No pot docs. Pharmacies only to dispense, no flowers or dabs ever. only pills and patches.

I know that down the road from me is a giant disp. cultivation center that is OK with legalization, but just as OK with sch2. WHY? because with rec they'll make billions, but the competition is cut down ssooo much if it goes sch2 that they'll make even more. They are already into pills and patches, so they're down with that. they welcome it.

So, we need to logically and deliberately contact senators, Reps, the AG, Trump, and plead our case. Not scream, not go on about Anslinger and racism, just tell them about the positives.

Trump will change when he's shown he's wrong on something.
remember he was cool with waterboarding till Mattis and Kelly talked to him, then he deferred to their experience and judgement and said he was no longer for it.

It'll probably take MPP types to make any high level contact with the admin, but will take us on the legislative end, calling, emailing, etc our reps. flood the AG with calls too. but not the nasty 'you guys are nazis' insaneness the left has shown so far. remember LOTS of us on the right are pro MJ.
we were Trump's base, not the old right you're thinking of.

Ever since I saw that Hilary was running for president, I had a really bad feeling. Ever since I saw Hilary do the "whore smile" during a presidential debate, I knew she was only a puppet.
Trump is in there to do what needs to be done and get our country back on track. Bernie would follow what anyone tells him to do, he has no backbone. Only trump tells his intentions without constantly changing his mind. The facts of topics change, but overall I believe what he says is his own decisiveness. With politicians nowadays they mostly follow popular opinion and that's not good for a country that has so many problems to be solved. Even Bernie and Hillary promise to make weed less illegal, we need a better leader to run this country.

As for this statement about recreational marijuana. We have to continue to handle things within Congress to change the laws. Look what happened with Trump's laws he signed into effect, they were stopped by Congress. What's the point to putting a president into power that agrees with one topic but can't make any real changes without the approval of the other branches of government? That's why USA is considered a free country with a progressive governing system. The power is distributed between the branches so the majority has to be on board to change the laws.
To be in this industry, you can't be timid.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh stop making sense Thorn in their sides. This place is very left wing of course, pot forum? duh... Trump still thinks waterboarding has a place but did defer to his Generals, does not mean he agrees, just not pushing it forward. I bet it will still be used but very restricted.

Let the hard left implode some more, they are doing a great job of it. Nazi, racist, con man, he uses a spray tan! wahhhh!

Trump is a populist and moderate, not hard right at all. The majority of people wanted immigration limited and illegals stopped. Not right wing, right down the middle. I think pot will follow, hands off but interstate or whatever, well.... Hard drugs, he is still going after that, though I think the complete war on drugs is a disaster.

Hildog would have thrown us a bone by rescheduling and letting states decide, but considering how far left she is now, what a let down that would have been for the lefties.

If he lets Sessions or other drug warrior dipshits have their way with pot, I will admit I was wrong. Quite sure that ain't gonna happen.

Ready4

Veteran
Today, Session's doubled down on what Spicer said that started this thread :

Attorney General Jeff Sessions hinted that the Department of Justice might begin more aggressive enforcement of federal laws against recreational marijuana, even in states that have legalized it.
Speaking at the National Association of Attorneys General’s annual winter meeting on Tuesday, Sessions said that the agency might enforce laws in eight states and Washington, D.C., that have legalized recreational marijuana.
“States, they can pass the laws they choose,” he said. “I would just say, it does remain a violation of federal law to distribute marijuana throughout any place in the United States, whether a state legalizes it or not.”

For those of you that do not think that they will do nothing substantial against MJ, my advice is do not bet any of your $ on that.
My question to you is, if Sessions does what he is hinting/threatening, will you criticize Trump for the incredibly horrible pick of Sessions ? Or is it just going to be a free pass ?

Good day to all ! :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Appears the nation will be going in a retro direction and not to the benefit of ordinary citizens. All progress made, tax dollars funding programs from MMJ, recreational for much needed programs (school, rehab)...poof! Gone.

Genghis Kush

Oh stop making sense Thorn in their sides. This place is very left wing of course, pot forum? duh... Trump still thinks waterboarding has a place but did defer to his Generals, does not mean he agrees, just not pushing it forward. I bet it will still be used but very restricted.

Let the hard left implode some more, they are doing a great job of it. Nazi, racist, con man, he uses a spray tan! wahhhh!

Trump is a populist and moderate, not hard right at all. The majority of people wanted immigration limited and illegals stopped. Not right wing, right down the middle. I think pot will follow, hands off but interstate or whatever, well.... Hard drugs, he is still going after that, though I think the complete war on drugs is a disaster.

Hildog would have thrown us a bone by rescheduling and letting states decide, but considering how far left she is now, what a let down that would have been for the lefties.

If he lets Sessions or other drug warrior dipshits have their way with pot, I will admit I was wrong. Quite sure that ain't gonna happen.

Trump is a moderate?
than why is he picking right wing sociopaths to run government agencies?
trump is an extreme capitalist.
His political agenda comes directly from the right wing super conservative think tank called the Heritage foundation
http://www.heritage.org/

only in america where there is no leftist party could trump be called a moderate.

Public opinion is very much in favor of full legalization and is becoming more so everyday. Attempts at prohibition on something that the public supports will only backfire and cause more people to support congressional action on legalization. The tide is turning and nothing will turn it back. The cats out of the bag...

one love

Cannavore

Veteran
"trump's a populist and a moderate."

1483.gif

best joke i've heard all month.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I don't wish this on anyone, but I KNOW it's going to happen....and on that day I'm going to not shed a tear.

Some Trump voter is going to get popped for marijuana in this era of heightened concern about it's recreational use.

I'm not even going to have to say "told 'ya so", cause that person will do it to themselves while they navigate the draconian courts trying to prove their innocence. Usually to the tune of a coupla thousand dollars for lawyers if you're lucky, then the probation, and the stain on your record forever.

Will you have deserved this fate? No, nobody...even the dummy, cognitively challenged Trump voters don't deserve that ignominious issue.

Sessions hasn't even been in office for more than a few months and he's already come out swinging with his statements.

Enjoy the next four years.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I apologize in advance for repeating myself, but for those that did participate in the other thread, here is what I posted there--

My two cents--

1. If legal weed is "medical" and illegal weed is "recreational", then the lines between the two will become more blurred...and distinct. Having a medical card can only help your legal defense, should the need arise (call it "insurance"--people buy life insurance not so they can "collect" on the policy, but "just in case").

2. Federal Government is NOT required to enforce it's laws "uniformly", so US Attorneys can can proceed against one "class of people" (recreational pot users) while ignoring another class (medical pot users).

3. All this costs money. It takes money to defend and money to prosecute--those with the biggest stack of cash will usually win. Feds always have more money.

4. Rather than focus on "executive directives"--which EVERYONE now sees can change colors overnight when a new executive is placed in charged. Instead, cannabis activists should redirect their angst towards removing cannabis from Fed's Schedule I of Controlled Substances. This is the REAL problem...and happens to be the only REAL answer...remove it from the list and all enforcement disappears.

5. Never trust your government. Officials/representatives are permitted/authorized/instructed to LIE to it's citizens...but not vice versa. Lie to a government officials/representatives and say good bye to your freedom.

6. Posturing. Magicians always flash a "shiny object" to distract their audience as they do the "real trick". How much of this "recreational marijuana" rhetoric coming from Washington is about something else (shiny object)? In the mean time, Trumpy is telling "sanctuary states/cities" to start following federal immigration laws? Hmmm...funny how many "sanctuary states" are also "recreational pot" states. I submit one is about the other.

Now, last weeks Quinnipiac Poll found majority of Americans support legalized marijuana.

Legalized Marijuana

Marijuana should be made legal in the U.S., voters say 59 - 36 percent. Republicans are opposed 61 - 35 percent and voters over 65 years old are opposed 51 - 42 percent. Every other party, gender, education, age and racial group listed supports legalized marijuana.

Voters support 93 - 6 percent legalized marijuana for medical purposes if prescribed by a doctor.

The government should not enforce federal laws against marijuana in states that have legalized medical or recreational marijuana use, voters say 71 - 23 percent. Voters in every listed group support this position.

Source: https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2432

IMO, all this supports my theory that the legalized marijuana brouhaha is really about forcing the "sanctuary states" to "follow the law of the land" regarding illegal immigrants. Why would he go against: States rights, public opinion, and more importantly "waste money" on something that very few people want? Especially his "base".

Besides, any and all prosecutions for "recreational pot" will be in Federal Court (appointed Attorney Generals)--not in state court (elected District Attorneys), so the game is stacked against the Feds if they start prosecuting "recreational pot" cases.

Ahhh, I say ignore the "shiny object" in his left hand (recreational pot) and look at his right hand (sanctuary states/cities...or ????).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts