What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is QWISO better than BUBBLE or BHO?

THC123

Veteran
i prefer dry sift , trim shaken onlky for a few minutes , this gives nice full melt and is the tastiest

then for me it is bubble hash 73 micron first run

and then come the solvent based extractions

i just dont want to smoke this cuz i am convincend you can never purge it 100%

but if i had to pick it would be iso made with denatured alcohol cuz that is non toxic

butane is poison

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
I've been followin these threads as I have some patients who are terminal. We hav been putting the oil in caps after purging. Patients are very happy with these meds! The testin was done 'in house' of course....

Duckmang

Having nearly perfected our extraction and purging process, I'd put our BHO up against anything. Bubble has too much micro contamination, and alcohol dissolves more stuff than I want in my oil....BHO all the way.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
QWISO for the head, bubble for sales
I just started making qwiso and prefer it for smoking, seems more potent and better captures the flavor of the strains, but well made bubble is very nice, people are calling super good bubble "solventless wax" in denver....

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
1st QWISO attempt... I think it went well!

1st QWISO attempt... I think it went well!

Just finished my 1st quiso session ever...thanks for the help labtec!! I think it turned out fuckin awesome...but then again it's my first time. I definately got a nice amber color out of it, and she is definately potent! 2 hit's ripped my head off for the afternoon. I used sugar leaf from 9 or 10 different strains and the high from this stuff is a mind melt! :woohoo: thanks for any input guys! Peace and love, Stagger

Piel

Veteran
If I want to make Green Dragon with QWISO does it need to be decarboxylated first? How would that be done?

whiteberrieS

Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31306&pictureid=715377&med=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31306&pictureid=715376&med=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31306&pictureid=715373&med=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31306&pictureid=715372&med=1]View Image[/url] Just finished my 1st quiso session ever...thanks for the help labtec!! I think it turned out fuckin awesome...but then again it's my first time. I definately got a nice amber color out of it, and she is definately potent! 2 hit's ripped my head off for the afternoon. I used sugar leaf from 9 or 10 different strains and the high from this stuff is a mind melt! :woohoo: thanks for any input guys! Peace and love, Stagger

can only imagine man. Good idea. Damn good idea. the 10-strain hash. gotta roll me up a piece of that.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I want to make Green Dragon with QWISO does it need to be decarboxylated first? How would that be done?

QWET would be a better choice for Green Dragon than QWISO, and I recommend Brown Dragon instead, for its improved flavor.

QWISO is made with Isopropyl, which is is an branched isomer of the simple alkane alcohol propanol, and is both poisonous in large quantities, and metabolizes into acetone and attacks the auditory nerves.

QWET is made from the simple alkane alcohol Ethanol (EtOH ), based on the ethane molecule, plus one oxygen atom, which metabolizes into Tetrahydroisoquinaline, and though also poisonous in large quantities, it doesn't attack the auditory nerves like ISO.

If you want it fully psychoactive orally, it needs to be decarboxylated.

You can do that ahead of time in an oven, or you can evaporate off the alcohol and decarboxylate the oil, before mixing enough alcohol back in to make your tincture.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If we are talking about well made extractions, I love them all!

I am thinking that comparing QWISO to BHO is apples and oranges, because one is a polar extraction and the other is mostly non polar.

I've found our own polar extractions to have more floral flavor, with hashy undertones, but be harsher than the non polar extractions, which will be smooth, mellow, and more hashy with floral undertones.

Comparing yield is apples and oranges, because both systems pick up non actives, but the polar extractions pick up more. On average we yield about 23.5% BHO Absolute Amber with the Mk I Terpenator, with our all time record slightly over 27%.

My best QWET was about 16% on the first cycle and 21.6% total using two cycles. I've tried three cycles, but the added yield was low and the product starting to turn green.

Except for experimenting, I only use QWISO on trim for topicals, so I don't have a good yield number, but it is more aggressive than Ethanol, so I use 15 second frozen soaks with Iso, as opposed to 3 minute frozen soaks in Ethanol.

QWISO can also be cleaned up somewhat by re-dissolving it in Ethanol and allowing some of the non actives to precipitate out, before distilling off the Ethanol. The precipitation can be sped up by winterizing.

For what it's worth, our volunteer test panels voted fresh frozen BHO the most flavorful vaporized, followed by QWET from cured material.

Our QWISO was rated less tasty and harsher when vaporized than our QWET and our cured BHO Absolute Amber from dried material the smoothest when vaporized.

Our Hexane extractions are even smoother, but they also include some saline washes, etc, so they have little floral flavors left, besides the cannabinoids.

pip313

The real advantage of qwiso is yeild, if you soak longer with iso that was chilled with dry ice you can get a better yeild and since the water is frozen you don't get the chloroplyll. I used to freeze the iso like normal then add dry ice. This shit is cold, handle with care, no joke instant frost bite is very posible. prefer hexane hash though, even longer soak and less nasties, basically the same as butane but its not a gas at earth's pressure and room temperatures.

Plant matter and iso both contain atleast traces of water. Chlorophyll's ability to be absorbed into a solvent even one that has polar tendencies is directly related to the amount of water in the solvent and plant matter.

I will try to find the scientific paper I read that explains it all. They manage to use construction paper to make a fake leaf that they deposited chlorophyll on and with and without water hexane did and did not extract chlorophyll. The point is thet got construction paper to mimic a leaf in its "ability" to hold chlorophyll, proving chlorophyll is avaliable for extraction but it takes both polar and non polar acting solvents to extract it. They were thinking that chlorophyll was hidden in special pockets in plant cells, not the case.

Also a easy way to get higher alcohol content from 70% iso is to add salt, iso seperates from brine.