What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uploaded photos rotate

M

Mr.Doe

Hey when I upload photos that I had taken from my iphone to my computer everything looks fine. When I upload the photos to icmag the automatically rotate left 90*. I tried to rotate photos 90* to the right before upload and then they still upload to the same position. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mr.Doe :tiphat:

GSPfan

Veteran
I use a photo editor and save my pics as a jpeg. I don't know shit about computers so I'm not aware how this works but it does for me.

Skip

Veteran
Try renaming and saving the image after you rotate it. If you don't, you are just uploading the original image.

Also check the settings on your iphone's camera, there could be some options there.

It's a common problem with mobile phones since everyone now seems to take vertical pics instead of horizontal.

Yes, we highly recommend editing images before uploading. This allows you to crop, color correct, rotate, resize, etc.

You don't need to upload 5mb or bigger images, when 150k is big enough and uploads in a second and doesn't put a load on our server to resize it.

OldPhart

I've noticed that as well, has something to do with the way the images are converted when uploaded, it seems to ignore the rotation flag that is added by the camera. Easy fix for a PC, just open the image to the size you want it on the screen in some kind of viewer program, then just use the snipping tool to capture the image, and save a jpg. Yes, I know there are much better ways, but this takes no software or computer savvy.

OP

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My photos are upright on viewer but after upload they are rotated.

Help..
as allready been mentioned, it has nothing to do with the upload but the rotation flag.
you're probably using an iPhone, right?
if you'll transfer the pics to a PC, you'll notice that they'll be rotated exactly the same way as
it happens with the upload.
The easiest way -for PC users- to fix them is to open them with the Windows-Fotogalerie,
rotate and save them before upload.

OldPhart

as allready been mentioned, it has nothing to do with the upload but the rotation flag.
you're probably using an iPhone, right?
if you'll transfer the pics to a PC, you'll notice that they'll be rotated exactly the same way as
it happens with the upload.
The easiest way -for PC users- to fix them is to open them with the Windows-Fotogalerie,
rotate and save them before upload.

Well it may or may not work as expected, it all depends on how the software handles the EXIF meta data. Speaking of meta data, there can be all sorts of crap stored in a picture, from location, to model and serial numbers .. simplest way for my lazy ass, is to just use an old ass point and shoot, or just do a screen capture of the image while being displayed on the screen. If you are not really worried about print quality images, it is good enough, and it will not include any meta data.

OP

EL1M1N80R

Well it may or may not work as expected, it all depends on how the software handles the EXIF meta data. Speaking of meta data, there can be all sorts of crap stored in a picture, from location, to model and serial numbers .. simplest way for my lazy ass, is to just use an old ass point and shoot, or just do a screen capture of the image while being displayed on the screen. If you are not really worried about print quality images, it is good enough, and it will not include any meta data.

OP

Good point a lot of people might not consider EXIF data.

I read about that

Skip

Veteran
At this point it is WISE to always store your image on a computer or backup device, rather than letting them live in the cloud. Cloud storage is iffy these days and we don't recommend it.

So copy your images to your backup device, then choose those that are BEST (no duplicates), crop/color correct, rotate, resize, remove exif, then upload. If you have the right program, you can easily do batches of images at once.

I know it's work, not very convenient, but one day when the Clouds disperse, you'll at least have your work backed up in your possession! :)

Don't rely on third parties to keep what is yours safe.
Once you upload it to the cloud, THEY OWN IT!
Remember, your access to the cloud can be terminated at any point for many reasons.
As has been shown, the Cloud(s) can be hacked and ...

Skip

Veteran
OK, so I was going to add an option to rotate images...
Then I found out that cameras/phones (esp. iphones), use the EXIF to determine which way to orient the image.

So that means when you upload your images to ICMag, we automatically strip out the EXIF, so the orientation info goes too, hence images are sometimes sideways.

So what you could do, if you can, is find the option to turn off EXIF. You really don't want to record that info unless you're a professional photographer.

Then perhaps (not sure), your image will align properly. You might want to check it out and let us know if you can find the EXIF setting and if it works to shut it off...

I could make it so the viewer has the option to rotate the image, rather than rotating after uploading.

Of course you could always rotate images in phone before upload as described earlier in this thread.

seeded

OK, so I was going to add an option to rotate images...
Then I found out that cameras/phones (esp. iphones), use the EXIF to determine which way to orient the image.

So that means when you upload your images to ICMag, we automatically strip out the EXIF, so the orientation info goes too, hence images are sometimes sideways.

So what you could do, if you can, is find the option to turn off EXIF. You really don't want to record that info unless you're a professional photographer.

Then perhaps (not sure), your image will align properly. You might want to check it out and let us know if you can find the EXIF setting and if it works to shut it off...

I could make it so the viewer has the option to rotate the image, rather than rotating after uploading.

Of course you could always rotate images in phone before upload as described earlier in this thread.
What people really need to do is just save the original picture as a new file because you force the new picture to choose between the original orientation and the corrective orientation information when making the new file. Since the server makes a new file for every picture we upload by converting the original if there's the corrective data present it'll rotate.

If people just took the same approach and made a new file for themselves by converting the file format, saving the original to a different folder, etc. they'd see the pictures rotate before they upload them. Before then however it doesn't matter how much you crop or edit the original picture because it's corrective data will always have the final say on the orientation. The only solution is to rewrite the orientation from the ground up and the only way to do that is by making a new picture.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Ever since I started cropping my pics down a bit before uploading ( just cropping off the background crap, and empty space) it solved any sideways issues.
Hope this is of help.

Skip

Veteran
What people really need to do is just save the original picture as a new file because you force the new picture to choose between the original orientation and the corrective orientation information when making the new file. Since the server makes a new file for every picture we upload by converting the original if there's the corrective data present it'll rotate.

If people just took the same approach and made a new file for themselves by converting the file format, saving the original to a different folder, etc. they'd see the pictures rotate before they upload them. Before then however it doesn't matter how much you crop or edit the original picture because it's corrective data will always have the final say on the orientation. The only solution is to rewrite the orientation from the ground up and the only way to do that is by making a new picture.

Yup that should work! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Bump having this issue here on an iPhone as well. How you correct this without using a computer?

I use an iPhone for uploading photos, if you crop the pics a little on each side before uploading ( just remove some background/ empty space) it seems to solve the problem