What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

true cure VS terps. sugars and flushing.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
speaking of interesting tidbits, does anyone have any theories why flowers that were hung to dry with the trim still on, only the fan leaves removed, taste better then the buds that are defanned and trimmed and then dried?

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
speaking of interesting tidbits, does anyone have any theories why flowers that were hung to dry with the trim still on, only the fan leaves removed, taste better then the buds that are defanned and trimmed and then dried?

I would say it's because terpines are volital and the trim holds back some of them onto the flowers, where as trimmed flowers let's some of the terpines escape.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It hangs (pun intended) on the drying environment being off. Leaving the fan leaves on provides a higher level of humidity, which sort of fixes the problem. When you hang trimmed and untrimmed in the same drying environment... I'm unable to tell which is which in a joint or bowl.

My impression could be wrong though, try it for yourself. :D

clearheaded

likely 2 part. like others have said slowing evap of terps protect them from air and light and slow the drying. but also when trichs are wet they break easier hense sticky fingers and strong smell trimming wet. if ur smelling it ur loosing it so man handling wet buds allows terps to evaporate as u break the membranes of trichomes.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
likely 2 part. like others have said slowing evap of terps protect them from air and light and slow the drying. but also when trichs are wet they break easier hense sticky fingers and strong smell trimming wet. if ur smelling it ur loosing it so man handling wet buds allows terps to evaporate as u break the membranes of trichomes.

I switched to trim dry vs wet to keep my fingers from
getting sticky with my product.

Much better now.

I did a whole plant hang (with large fans removed) and a wet trim hang side by side and the whole plant hang is by far the louder and tastier smelling plant. from now on I will always do a whole plant hang no matter what. everything seemed to dry a lot more uniformly with the whole plant hang as well.

lizzy3

Interesting how some people react to contrary information.

What you're seeing (with maliali) is a fundamental disconnect I've noticed in a lot of growers. It's really not their fault, their upset hinges on a lack of awareness. When you've never been exposed to sugar, blackstrap molasses is pretty dang sweet. When the best, of the best, of the best you've experienced is "meh" in quality, your awareness of what is possible is limited.

I've actually run across several growers with over 2 decades of growing experience, who still suffer from this syndrome. Having maintained a steady diet of their own cannabis, and rarely being exposed to other quality levels, their idea of "Fire" cannabis is flat out horrible. They take a big toke and say how smooth and flavorful it is, then exhale smoothly. You take a toke and it's hot, harsh and tastes like nutes and leaf... making you cough your brains out. You, apparently, don't have their iron throat and lungs from smoking such contaminated cannabis all day, every day.

Cannabis smoke is smooth, soft and packed full of flavor and aroma when fresh dried off the plant. ZERO need for a cure to make this happen. When you get anything else, you're overfeeding and it doesn't matter what the food source is. (People believe my cannabis is organic and I have to correct them it's 100% hydro.)

The cure? The cure is where polymerization of the flavor/aroma chains happens. Over time this creates a more complex smell and flavor bouquet. The cure is not for making poorly grown cannabis *better*.
:tiphat:

lol
perspective is a mofo!
the internet only adds to this.
i have run into symilar ppl

lol
perspective is a mofo!
the internet only adds to this.
i have run into symilar ppl

I'm not saying its right in every occasion but I definitely like the taste of a less cured bud. Sure, if you cure it for a while it'll have a higher THC content, but a nice wet bud tastes so good.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran

Someone posted something a year or two ago that seemed like a valid technical explanation, that the plant moves things we don't want in it to the leaf.. Unfortunately I failed to save the link.

Lots of good info here, I also agree that whole plant drying of flushed flowers can result in perfect weed on day 1, I wish I could show you some shocked faces I have seen when I explained that some bud was "only in the bag for an hour"

But, I am still suspicious that Sativas gain something, but I havent been able to do a sensible side by side due to the logistics and adventures of harvest time here.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Someone posted something a year or two ago that seemed like a valid technical explanation, that the plant moves things we don't want in it to the leaf.. Unfortunately I failed to save the link.
This makes sense. This would also explain why I, personally, don't see a difference. As far as I'm aware, there really isn't anything in my cannabis which is NOT wanted. (I've spent 10 years working on making it this way. lol) So, there isn't a change when I do it. Interesting.
Lots of good info here, I also agree that whole plant drying of flushed flowers can result in perfect weed on day 1, I wish I could show you some shocked faces I have seen when I explained that some bud was "only in the bag for an hour"
This is what my cannabis is like. Cut it, Trim it. Throw it on a plate and let it dry. Awesome. ;)