What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wild hemp or old strains?

viu

Greetings from Finland.

(I wasn't sure if it were better to write in English or in Swedish, feel free to answer in any language; I can read slowly nynorsk/bokmål).

I seek all kind of information on hemp used in old days for fiber or food, and especially I am interested if you have hemp that spread from gardens and feelds into the wild.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I grew up in South Dakota in the upper west of the Midwest section. There is a wild hemp growing along the railroads in this area called ditchweed. I always heard hemp was transported by train for the WWII effort. I heard it was used to make rope or something. My town picked it as it was a nuisance and piled it in huge piles and burned the piles. I remember birds flying through the smoke and falling down dead on the other side of the fire so I figure there might have been something in the ditchweed there. I picked and smoked some and all I got was a sore throat and cough from it.

viu

Thank you, Bombaycat, just the kind of information I need :) I took a peek in Wikipedia and the latitude is around 42N, and that gives me a light cycle. How about the weather there were you grow up? Continental climate as it is in the middle of a continent, and northwest is semi-arid and southeast is semi-humid.

Hemp for non-recreational uses has very low THC, the genetics studies show two separate lines: one with THC and the other without, but with other good qualities. Some strains might have CBD, but not much.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
The state is a rectangle with the East third typical flat farm land with lots of rain to grow corn. The middle third is arid ranchland with less rain. The western third is sort of mountainous with big rolling hills small mountains and forests with a little more rain then the middle. I have only heard of ditch weed in the Eastern part. The entire state is about 300 miles by 250 miles. There is feral hemp (ditch weed) in the whole Midwest scattered about in different places so maybe someone else will chime in. I am about 4th generation Norwegian and the only words I know are Scogg Katt which means forest cat I think.

viu

Ah, famous Norsk Skogkatt, fabulous creatures! Yes, it is Norwegian forest cat. Specially yellow ones remind me strongly of lynx whI ich have around my house a lot. And I like them a lot, my cats a bit less. They aren't fond of their cousins that have only nutritional family values in mind.