What's new

☺☺ Plants Too Tall - 1st SCROG Questions ☺☺

s0cK3y3

I have a purple sativa strain that just did not produce huge buds like I had hoped for. I did yield about 1oz. per plant but want to yield more this next time around. I am growing two mothers that are approximately 4ft tall, the stalks are huge like a small tree at it's base. I know this strain gets tall, so I tied tight string like chicken wire to train the plants onto. I assume that my plants that got about 12 inches from the glass and got too hot, hence the smaller yield. I hoped to cool things down by trying SCROG. Any tips are appreciated☺

My setup is as follows:

HydroHut Original (4x4x7)
2 400w HPS in Aircooled Canopy System
Deep Water Culture w/Top Drip
Temperature at screen level is approximately 26°c

My questions are:
One of the mothers very big. After pruning the bottom half of the plant, the thing looks like a ficus tree or something. The base is so thick it worries me to think about how large it will get. When you prune a SCROG do I allow there to be lots of under branches? How much do I leave if so? I am curious how far up the base I should chop. I want BIG COLAS not massive amounts of small buds like last time. Does any of that have to do with how I prune it?

I intended to use tomato clips to guide the branches onto the screen. I started flowering a week ago and the plants began that flowering touching the bottom of the screen, I am afraid they are going to be too damn tall again. Can I complete an entire grow with the plant branches being horizontal? If so, does it affect the yield?

Are there any other techniques one might utilize when the height is an issue? The air cooled lamps can only go so high due to the fact they are held up by chains anchored from the sides. This limits how high they will go. I appreciate any help, thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Outdoors the T•Haze x Skunk #1 grows 7-8 feet. With ScROG, I've got it under 22 inches (although cold temps in early stages may be partly responsible) Whether with seedling or new clone, 12/12 ASAP. Keep it under the screen until buds start showing in some quantity (I let them through at the first sign and that was too soon by maybe a month)

There were a couple of times I thought I'd cropped it to death but, she came out fine.

Canopy control was attained best by bending stems like a Candy Cane tied to itself. Topping just pissed it off. It laughed at Super Cropping.

Define huge buds? Sativa isn't known for thick, dense buds; One of many reasons it's so commonly mated with Indicas. Just under 2" diameters, several of the colas are 12-14" long.

Daemon

^^I concur. I've got a sativa dom. flowering right now and I used Freezerboy's advice as far as "candy caning" the main stem; worked great!

s0cK3y3

I bought an air conditioner today (stand up kind) Can I pump cool air straight into the HydroHut? Or should I let its passive intake pull the cool air in?

rr14

I usually have my screen about a foot from the top of the container my plant is in (I grow ebb and flow). I also grow in a hydro hut. I love tall plants because what I'll do is have two, one on each side of the tent and then bend them over and run them across the net horizontally. I'll tie off branches as the plant goes across the screen. With this method, I can fill a 3/3 hydro hut net 75% with only two plants. Plants are about 3 1/2" feet tall when I put them into the net. I'll try to get some pics of my plants in flower for 2-3 days.

s0cK3y3

rr14 said:
I usually have my screen about a foot from the top of the container my plant is in (I grow ebb and flow). I also grow in a hydro hut. I love tall plants because what I'll do is have two, one on each side of the tent and then bend them over and run them across the net horizontally. I'll tie off branches as the plant goes across the screen. With this method, I can fill a 3/3 hydro hut net 75% with only two plants. Plants are about 3 1/2" feet tall when I put them into the net. I'll try to get some pics of my plants in flower for 2-3 days.

sounds good - i will take a picture tomorrow too - go easy rr14