What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$$$ Saving Tip for Budget Hydro Growers

InjectTruth

Hello everyone. Just wanted to pop in and put this down before I forget.

Many of you are probably familiar with the dual outlet air pump from walmart (~$10). These pumps are pretty damn strong for $10, and in many cases, getting a number of these pumps equivalent to the dollar amount of another, single, stronger pump is more cost effective and provides many outlets. However, the little white spigots that you connect the air hose to seem to always break off when removing a hose. I am convinced it is these little pieces being made so cheaply that lets them sell a decent pump for so cheap.

Another piece that seems to break when removing from the hose are the little blue airstones from the same company. I have found a way to make an omelette out of broken eggs.

Whenever your airstones break, remove the blue stone part and save the small black male-male piece.

Now, when you buy a new pump, cut pieces of hose about 2 inches long, and plug them into the pump. Now put one of the black adapters into each hose.

Voila! Now, when you need to unplug the hose for cleaning, moving, maintenance, etc, you just pull the hose off the end of the adapter. The small piece never comes off, so you never run the risk of breaking it, making your $10 investment stretch even further.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Interesting fix to your issue, I use these pumps, lots of em, and have never had this issue. I am sorry, but I have to ask, because I am very stoned, do you have the same issue removing your tube from the missus by any chance? Sorry, that is a brain fart, and I do feel better.
H

green_grow

Veteran
a penny saved is a penny earned ... i'm just starting to mess around with air pumps (switching from soil to hydro soon) so the 'heads-up' is appreciated.

G

interesting idea!
i hate how the little piece breaking renders the pumps largely innefective, so maybe this will solve some problems.

InjectTruth

I've even tried using a small bead of silicone around the white part when I first get them to hold the piece on. To no avail. This solution has extended the life of my pumps a great deal.

I cant tell you how many broken pumps with one outlet lying around.