What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"shallow" DWC + SOG, is it possible?

mordgrow

I'm thinking of using a 7" deep 20 wide 40 long container with 36ish plants (container is mY DWC resivoir) recirculating with a rezivoir, is this too shallow ?

I'll have at least 2 airs stones per contaner

chosen

Veteran
7" deep will be rough. You will probably have to tie some weights on the plants and mount the light on the side. Not sure if you know what I mean. If you were looking inside of the cabinet, the x's are plants and the L is the light. You just bend the plants toward the light. At 7" in height you could also do some amazing training. Yet, it would be rough.

x
x
x L
x
x

mordgrow

Man, if i could just post my pictures it'd make so much more sence..

my room is 5Lx6Wx8H feet., i plan on putting 4 of these containers on the floor and hanging my 2 400w HP's over them, the containers stand 7" off the floor, so there would only be around 5-6 " of solution in the container for DWC.

no training or LST, just a clone that goes strait into flower for 8 weeks, either perpetual harvest style or all 120ish clones at once.. (prolly perpetual.)

stick this in your browser for some pictures :)

forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/176635-8-week-flower-cycle-sog.html#post1872683

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
It sounds possible... Ebb/flow trays arent that deep, but still they yeild and work nicely. So why not.. But maybe rootgrowth is too heavy with o2-pumps, I dont know...

Heres an extreme example, although in e/f, but wth..

16542-15004sog.jpg

Thread

Last edited:

mordgrow

haha, SWC (shallow water culture)? instead of DWC?

it seems very counter intuative.. not having the Deep, in DWC..

anyone have an informed opinion

Last edited:

chosen

Veteran
It would work no problem as long as you run some sort of res. Once the plants get up to a certain size, you will have them drinking quite a bit. It will drink around a gallon every other day or so especially with 30 plants in a 2 x 4 area(roughly). I use a 2' x 4' aero setup. The only difference is that I run about 40 gallons. So, i'm use to that roughly 4 plants per square foot setup. I put my plants into flowering around 7" from clone. They end up around 2' or so on the average.

G

chosen is on with what he said, yet you're using a rez so thats not really an issue. It definitely works. I finished 4 small plants in 1 1 gallon 5" deep SWC bubbler. The hydro roots don't care where they're going as long as they have a healthy environment.

The only big issue you'll find is that if you get a sick plant that dies you have a problem because the roots are matted and tangled so you kinda either have to cut off chunks of other plants' roots to get out the dead roots or you just have to let them rot out and clean/filter/change the rez every day until the problem is fixed.

I like using pool noodles for small plants. The stem can expand out all it needs to with the foam (just use a small chunk of pool noodle stuff into the hole in the noodle to loosely hold the plant in place unntil the stem fattens up). They're cheap and convenient too.

Another nice way to use the pool noodles is rather than leaving that soild hole, you cut towards the middle at a sharp angle and it makes two opposite facing wedge shapes that squeeze together nicely to hold the plant more securely.

chosen

Veteran
Dead on Irish... I keep hearing about these pool noodles. I've been using crappy white plastic lids that don't thrill me. I got to check out the noodles.
Thanks

alphacat

Not to mention that gro-rocks (hydroton, whatever you wanna call 'em) can foster mold and salts buildup. SWC = making the whole thing just a little bit simpler.