What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Δ9-THC's closet 4 bucket DWC

Sauce

Check your ppm rise/fall if you think you may have overfert problems.

PPM is a tricky measurement. Some elements will read more than others because they conduct electricity better. As mentioned, organics also don't fully read in ppm. Check your rise/fall and monitor it, it is important.

There was a thread on OG where someone trimmed a bunch of fan leaves that were blocking bud sites and on another plant trimmed nothing. In the end I believe there was a gram difference in yield. So in the end, I'd have to conclude that energy (light) is the overall determining factor in yield (provided equal conditions) and that trimming, tucking, etc isn't really going to mean much in the end. I've never done it myself so can't really say whether it helps or not.

Your leaves look pretty good. Maybe the start of a slight overfert but nothing major. Depending on the rise/fall you can decide on how much, if any, you want to back off on the nutes.

Good luck :yes: :smoker:

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

Sauce: What do you mean rise and fall of nutes?? Good to hear about the trimming not having an effect, less work for now! (Though the experiment sounds like a poorly designed one..)

Admittedly, I don't adjust them every day, and I haven't installed a float valve to top off the reservoir. I diluted my nutes to 1000ppm and added KoolBloom up to 1200ppm, slightly less than the recommended dose. Hopefully a P & K boost will help bulk things up a little.

R

rule35sub1

Delta, don't worry about the smaller buds. Some strains really pack it on in the last 2 weeks.
I use a 400w and never get huge fat ass nugs. If you want them, get a 1k.
As far as your ppm being too high, it's fine. In bio buckets, My ppm's have been as high as 3100 ppm without any nute burn. The beneficials are awesome!

Sauce

rule35sub1 said:
My ppm's have been as high as 3100 ppm without any nute burn. The beneficials are awesome!

Sorry but this means nothing. All plants, strains, nutes, and situations will be different. Just because you can run up the nutes doesn't mean another person will be able to. And beneficials are not going to stop deficiencies or toxicities.

By ppm rise/fall I mean exactly that, the rise and fall. Example: Today the ppm is at 1000, tomorrow it's at 1200. This would mean the plants are drinking more than eating, and a toxicity may occur. If your ppm is 1000 and the next day 800, that means they are eating more nutes than drinking water, and a deficiency may appear. If you can keep an equilibrium that is ideally the best situation.
Obviously a bigger rise/fall is more dramatic than a small one. Example: Today the ppm is 1000, tomorrow it's 1001. This is not a large difference and you don't need to change anything.

However this is a rule of thumb. If the ppm is rising (or falling) and the plants show no signs of overfert (or deficiency), then you probably can stay at your current ppm or may only need to decrease/increase it by a small amount. Rise/fall + watching your plants will tell you how much to give them and when to give them it.

Hope this helps :smoker:

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

Rule: Thanks for the insight man. I think I'm too used to seeing everyone here on IC growin massive nugs! I'd love to get a 1000w lamp and go bigger, but the power bill is killin' me already. I'll post some new pics once I can tell if the KoolBloom is helping at all.

Sauce: Thanks for the post. I realize that things are going to be different every time. I try to be responsive to my plants, but it's hard when they look really healthy except for not growing very large buds! I've never seen my plants use up more nutes than water, but this could be because I have a fairly large volume of nutrient solution in the system. I backed off from 1400ppm a little, so hopefully I'm in an okay range currently. I'll have to check the pH, too.

Truth

Hmm, I get some fairly large sized nuggets with a 400w. Larger than my fist around, and as long as my forearm. but I only veg 3 weeks :)

your buds will fill out soon enough. How deep into flowering are you?

you know, you could always buy a 1000w and your bill will only be a little bit more than if you ran your 400w for 24/0, if you run it 12/12. You'd be surprised how much you can grow under a 400w though. My suggestion is get a 600w, and run both the entire grows, that way you can fit more plants, and give them plenty of light. with those two lights, you will be pushing 1000w, and about 130K Lumens give or take, and since it is 2 lights you can spread that light over a larger area than a single light. Use one for veg(clones), another for flower, and do a perpetual harvest...these are all options.

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

Truth: Thanks for the post. I'm 5 weeks in, so probably 2 to 3 left?? Some people say that's when the plants put on some weight. I've got no more money to invest in lights at the moment, but you've got a valid point for the future. Mixing lamps (MH + HPS) might give me a better growing spectrum than a 1000w MH or HPS alone.

Dungeon: Sup, thanks for the post. You're serious about the bulb? I don't need a 'conversion' bulb or anythin like that? I don't suppose you've tried this?...

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
No point running a 430w in a 400w since you are still only getting 400 to the 430. Just keep up what you are doing but keep an eye out for tip burn with that Koolbloom. Its strong stuff! Overall your plants look great and a healthy plant will yield as much as it can. Maybe its just a light yield strain/pheno? Im not familiar with Blueberry or Grapefruit but I dont recall seeing any huge yields from them....

EDIT: also just noticed you are running MH so that 430w HPS suggestion should be ignored. You would have to get a conversion HPS bulb on top of running a higher wattage bulb. Not good advice.

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

Could be genetics. The blueberry is making some noticeably larger buds than the grapefruit. Another thing is that I was expecting my plants to get taller than where they are right now. They're only about 2ft tall, max (haven't measured). I didn't top them or anything, but they could probably be about a foot taller and still fit in the cabinet. I suppose I should let em veg longer or let them stretch a little next time.

G

Hello Delta and everyone..... been gone and catching up...

Hello Delta and everyone..... been gone and catching up...

:wave:

They are looking good..... Leafy but definitely healthy.....

Sauce-- great input on the rise and fall of the ppm or EC. That is exactly how I gauge my feeding and I think the best way to optimize it. Delta... that is a definite technique you should master to maximize yield. Kind of if they are leaving food on the plate... don't feed more but if they are eating it all you need to keep adding until they leave a little food. Of course this doesn't tell you which exact nute they are eating or leaving on the plate but the stage should give you an educated guess. Sauce have to give you some Karma or rep for that post...

Rule-- Damn that ppm is so damn high I would doubt it but have seen your posts so I know it it is real. I think plants adjust to a point to take such high ppms. Those are definitely eating tons. Do you use CO2 supplement? I can't remember from other posts.

IGT-- Excellent tutoring of Delta. Cool to see the old timers really school the newer enthusiasts.

Delta-- Part of it may be the MH is better at growing "lettuce" than the buds. My ladies drop shaded leaves when no longer deemed important by the ladies themselves. I do tuck and tie to position where each main branch gets the optimal light the garden allows. HPS seem to add weight but I know that is a controversial point. The buds will definitely add mass in the next couple weeks. IGT's advice on the supplements is definitely what I would say too. Remember your next grow will usually be exceptionally better than the last in the beginning.

Peace

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Bree said:
:wave:
IGT-- Excellent tutoring of Delta. Cool to see the old timers really school the newer enthusiasts.
Peace

Haha thanks Bree but Im far from an old timer. My aero thread is my FIRST mj grow ever but Ive soaked up a ton of info and its easier since A9 is pretty much at the same point in the grow that I am. I can pass on what I have been studying and trying.

Δ9-THC

IGT: Heh, new or old school, it's all help to me, so thanks!

Bree: Thanks for the post. I think everyone concurs on the PK addition for late flowering, so hopefully the KoolBloom will help me out. I am seeing some of the lower leaves brown out and drop off as expected. Maybe I have a poor judgement for how much weight is on these plants, just have to wait and see. I'll likely start another round of plants after these are done. I have 4 clones waiting, but I think I'd like to get some different genetics for fun. I'll try to post up some bud shots as soon as I get a chance.

R

rule35sub1

Hey Sauce, bio buckets have beneficials that take care of your plants, I have never encountered any kind of toxicity in them.
I have grown many strains and always push the ppms way up there, never, not once have I had any ill effects from it. I can't say the same thing about soil or dwc, always had gotten nute burn cause I like to feed my babies.

Hey Bree, never used CO2. People do not realize that the beneficials completely coat the root system, thus protecting your plants. Your beneficials digest all the nutes and then your roots feed off that digested food, therefore no nute burn.

Last edited:
G

Delta...... what do ya think of some AK-47 from Serious......

Delta...... what do ya think of some AK-47 from Serious......

My Blueberries look thin compared to the AK I am use to. I guarantee you will not be displeased. Love that shit. Excellent Sativa high with baseball bat colas.
Don't go for the posers though..... Serious AK-47. Swear you will only grow others for variety.........

Your buds will definitely put on quite a bit of weight in the next two weeks. The ladies know what they need and what they don't. They will drop the bottoms when they are no longer beneficial.

Peace

dungeon420

Δ9-THC said:
Truth: Thanks for the post. I'm 5 weeks in, so probably 2 to 3 left?? Some people say that's when the plants put on some weight. I've got no more money to invest in lights at the moment, but you've got a valid point for the future. Mixing lamps (MH + HPS) might give me a better growing spectrum than a 1000w MH or HPS alone.

Dungeon: Sup, thanks for the post. You're serious about the bulb? I don't need a 'conversion' bulb or anythin like that? I don't suppose you've tried this?...
I have personally seen a 400w PFO HQI Aquarium ballast fire a 430W HPS bulb. Do it!!! ;) Its the best kept secret out there. HEHE no need to have conversion bulbs. Thing is a 400W HQI is a 430W SON AGRO BALLAST!!! lol

dungeon420

ItsGrowTime said:
No point running a 430w in a 400w since you are still only getting 400 to the 430. Just keep up what you are doing but keep an eye out for tip burn with that Koolbloom. Its strong stuff! Overall your plants look great and a healthy plant will yield as much as it can. Maybe its just a light yield strain/pheno? Im not familiar with Blueberry or Grapefruit but I dont recall seeing any huge yields from them....

EDIT: also just noticed you are running MH so that 430w HPS suggestion should be ignored. You would have to get a conversion HPS bulb on top of running a higher wattage bulb. Not good advice.

You obviosuly dont know what you are talking about yourself sir. A 400W HQI aquarium ballast is a 430W SON AGRO. I know I am in the aquarium business. They buy them and overdirve the MH bulbs for extralight output to grow corals. LOL Cmon man get your facts straight before telling him my advice is bad.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Hmm I guess I dont know what Im talking about. Can't say Ive ever been dumb enough to stick the wrong bulb in the wrong ballast to "see what happens". Never been a big fan of cleaning up glass and putting out fires.

Δ9-THC

Heh. It sounds plausable. Only thing is... Metal halide ballasts dont' have an ignitor, which the Sun Agro ballast will. I'm in the aquarium business as well, which is why I have PFO HQI ballasts laying around, haha. I used to do a bit of aquaculturing corals.

dungeon420

ItsGrowTime said:
Hmm I guess I dont know what Im talking about. Can't say Ive ever been dumb enough to stick the wrong bulb in the wrong ballast to "see what happens". Never been a big fan of cleaning up glass and putting out fires.
Did you read my post? a 400W HQI ballast is a 430 Son AGRO . Smoke another one. Stoner...... lol