What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Δ9-THC's closet 4 bucket DWC

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Hey delta, nice start to your grow.

Charcoal can usually be found at pet stores in the fish section. Activated charcoal.

I lollytop (like that term) my blueberrys all the time at around 20 inches all the time before I flower. I think that is a wise choice with the 400 and sized closet.

If some kind person is kind enough to clone good plants for you, it would be silly to grow them yourself unless it was a cost or genetic issue.

Δ9-THC

Hey Japanfreakier! :wave: Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to cut some of the lower branches from the blueberry for clones as soon as I can get some RW cubes or a cloner set up. But clones are about $12 each at the clubs, but it can be a hassle getting them sometimes. Maintaining good disease free clones of my own is probably not a bad idea, I just don't know if these are two genetic lines I want to hold on to or not.

Oh also, activated charcoal always seems really expensive locally, but I do have a small amount that will probably get me by for this grow. The 5gal buckets on ebay are the cheapest I've seen, I just gotta find a friend that will order it for me.

Last edited:
R

rule35sub1

Any way to get your light lowered, it seems rather far from your plants.

Δ9-THC

I think I'm going to buy an air cooled hood. The local hydro shop said ~$90 for their bottom of the line model. Hopefully that will cool the lamp enough that I can seal the cabinet a bit better (stinkin up the house) and vent the cab out through a charcoal scrubber. Maybe I'll get around to that this weekend and take some clones too.

Δ9-THC

I bought a new reflector (due to popular opinion! haha)

I bought a new reflector (due to popular opinion! haha)

I finished sealing up the cabinet seams today. I also picked up a ValueBright reflector at the hydro shop along with necessary flanges and some white poly to cover the face of the cab. I hung the fixture ~12" above the plants, but my concern now is that the light is concentrated mainly on the middle two plants now :confused: . I'll hook up the vent system for the reflector as soon as I can pick up a fan for it. I'm going to take some clones this weekend too. Won't have pics for a couple weeks :frown: , sorry guys... sucks having to borrow a camera. I guess the upside is... there should be some buds forming by then! :woohoo: Peace.

Δ9-THC

Woohoo I got a camera! (3 weeks flower)

Woohoo I got a camera! (3 weeks flower)

I'm not sure whether I'm more stoked about my camera or my girls! wait... no.. I lied.. definitely not the camera. :joint: . Anyway, here are some new pics. The two directly under the lamp are doing much better than the outter two as expected. I took some clones and have them rooting in rockwool, which I for some reason forgot to take pictures of. I'm 3 weeks into flowering, but things are still looking pretty small in the bud department.

lighting hood

Less than 10" from plants, air cool hoods are a must, you guys are right.

Thanks for lookin! Any thoughts? Timetable??

G

Hi Delta..... Congrats on the updates.....

Hi Delta..... Congrats on the updates.....

Some nice looking ladies there. Don't worry because they are small.... in the next week they will definately burst into hyper budding. Love that stage. They sort of just stand there for a week and then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.
Can't wait to see them in the next pics. Congrats on the camera too. I am ordering a special macro lense just for my ladies close ups.

Glad to hear things are going so well.... they definately look healthy and happy.

Peace

Δ9-THC

I can't seem to get the humidity in my room down. The guy at the hydro shop said just vent it out... but it's the same humidity in the whole house (and outside, since it rains a few days outta the week). Does anyone know of a small dehumidifier unit that would work well for such a small grow? I'd like to add as little power consumption to the setup as possible (bill is HUGE).

Truth

Δ9-THC said:
Hey, just thought I'd post a few more pics. I'm at about 4 weeks of 18/6 and I think I'm going to switch to 12/12 at lights out, think they'll stay short enough for the closet? Too short perhaps? Sorry, I haven't gotten to covering the lids yet! I'll do so, I promise. Nutes are around 1400, I've been topping up the rez with DI water and correcting to 1400 with bloom only.

..and grapefruit

And here's the only real problem I've had to far. All of my plants show this to some extent, but this one (far right plant of 4) is by far the worst. What is this? I tried to rinse off the infected/damaged region of the stems with peroxide a couple times a day, but it didn't seem to help.

Peace. :joint:

FYI, Im surprised no one mentioned this, but that looks alot like stem rot. excessive and prolonged moisture causes this.

Δ9-THC

Ya, I posted asking about that a ways back. I had this problem from the getgo, and I don't think it was due to humidity (perhaps due to sitting in a saturated rockwool cube??) The stems have since grown over and formed an extremely woody section where the battle wounds were.

rule35sub1: RH has been around 70% at lights out and 75% when I open the cabinet back up in the morning (seal it up to prevent light leaks in). My whole house is above 65%. :pointlaug

R

rule35sub1

You could always throw a large jar of silica inside your cabinet. That is the stuff they put in pill jars to keep moisture out.

Δ9-THC

I've got a fan that blows air around the cabinet, and I'm working on a ventilation fan that will pull out air through a carbon scrubber. I leave the front of the cabinet open when the lights are on, so it can vent into the room.

Rules35sub1: Any idea where I can get the stuff?

I may also try to cover up the hydroton where the water circulates back into the bucket so as to lower evaporation which would raise humidity. Does high humidity usually just come from the plants respiring?

Δ9-THC

I currently have my hygrometer sitting outside.. and it's reading 63%... so venting anywhere does me very little good... this is a bit distressing. If this is such a problem, how come my house doesn't grow a whole bunch of mold? I don't see any way to beat the problem except to seal off my cabinet and put a dehumidifier inside.... :confused:

Truth

It would be very easy to get down your humidity, throw a regular household box fan right at the end of the reflector, blowing towards the light bulb and plants. Even the lowest settings on it should keep it at 45% humidity. That little fan isn't going to cut it, but I usually have my lights within 6 inches from the tops.. temps stay in 70's, humidity doesn't go over 55%, stays mostly at 45%. Remember, plants need airflow above too.

16634lights2-thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

I have an air cooled hood, so I have a fan that removes the heat from the lamp housing. I don't think blowing air into my cabinet from the room is going to help, since the room is around 60% RH. Hence, the lowest a fan could get the cabinet would be the humidity of the room.

Thanks for link rules. I gotta think about what will work best. those dehumidifers aren't all that small, so I'm not sure I can fit it in the cabinet.

Last edited: