What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is ISO a quick wash but ETOH is a long soak?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
As best I can tell from my reading, the standard MO for ISO is referred to as a "Quick Wash". Depending on the read, a few seconds to a few minutes.

However, when I read about extracting with Everclear (ETOH) it says to either soak it a month in your closet, or to use heat (water bath, whatever) to enhance/assist in the transfer.

I took wood shop instead of chemistry but if I do remember right, the ETOH and ISO are very much the same. Why is it the standard MO for one to be a long soak and another to be a 'quick wash'?

Thanks

Also, I am constantly is search of an edible that doesn't taste like shit. That Everclear is some nasty ass shit. No matter what you mix it with, that horrible burn seems to work it's way though. I am doing a test with some standard Skyy Vodka (86 Proof, 43% alcohol). I put 14 grams of decarbed pot into 2 cups of vodka and I have it soaking in a jar.

Anyone have any luck with this low of a content alcohol?

Thanks again

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Simple, your instructions for etho are wrong. LOL I remember reading the same thing about isopropyl years ago.

Cold and quick is your cleanest option. I use iso for pest control, not extracts. hehehe ;)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I read somewhere that if you soak your weed in room temp water first (24-48hrs), you remove much of the chlorophyll because it's water soluble, THEN make your quick wash.

Anyone?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
As best I can tell from my reading, the standard MO for ISO is referred to as a "Quick Wash". Depending on the read, a few seconds to a few minutes.

However, when I read about extracting with Everclear (ETOH) it says to either soak it a month in your closet, or to use heat (water bath, whatever) to enhance/assist in the transfer.

I took wood shop instead of chemistry but if I do remember right, the ETOH and ISO are very much the same. Why is it the standard MO for one to be a long soak and another to be a 'quick wash'?

Thanks

Also, I am constantly is search of an edible that doesn't taste like shit. That Everclear is some nasty ass shit. No matter what you mix it with, that horrible burn seems to work it's way though. I am doing a test with some standard Skyy Vodka (86 Proof, 43% alcohol). I put 14 grams of decarbed pot into 2 cups of vodka and I have it soaking in a jar.

Thanks again

ISO is 99.9% alcohol, while grain alcohol has 10% water.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You can do a long soak with isopropyl and it will be just as good as (or sub-par as) a long soak with ethanol. You are comparing two different concepts. If you want concentrate that you can scrape up and dab, it needs to be a quick wash, regardless of which of those solvents you go with.

But if you do a long soak with either of those solvents, the end result will be similar. It's just, at that point it's only good for edibles, and if I were making an extract for edible purposes I would go with ethanol over isopropyl, so that I wouldn't have to worry about making sure I purge all of the solvent out.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I read somewhere that if you soak your weed in room temp water first (24-48hrs), you remove much of the chlorophyll because it's water soluble, THEN make your quick wash.

Anyone?
Tycho,

Anything else to add good buddy? I recently made some RSO with 1oz of AC/DC )with alcool 94%, man that liquid was green. Tried something someone shot a video of sitting in the sun for a day to get rid of "the green". No avail! Other than that good shit.

Thanks for the tip, I will be using your method next run.

Drewsif

ISO is 99.9% alcohol, while grain alcohol has 10% water.

The strongest ISO most people buy is 91%, the Gem Clear is 95%. Iso is for cleaning, nearly impossible to purge, I wonder how many people have fucked themselves up with RSO.. Nasty.

Ethyl is still qwethyl.. Those Rick Simpson plant tars are nasty shit

White Beard

Anyone?

I’ve never tried a water wash, mostly because of the (perceived) need to then dry the herb. If you just dump the wet weed into either alcohol, you’ll be diluting it and reducing its effect as a solvent. Also, the water in the weed will not be suddenly replaced by the alcohol, so you’ll miss anything. So, drying it after the wash would be necessary to let the weed be frozen, and to let the alch. penetrate the vegetable parts and capture all the goodness.

You could combine a slow dry and a slow decarb: just remember that once you hit 220f, your conversion will already be 80-85% complete.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwiso/

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

are you trying to use everclear in a tincture ?

extract first in everclear, evap/purge then add vodka to a desired consistency
it will be much less harsh. for edibles I would recommend using butter or oils for extraction

then use those infusions for your treats
good luck

For Ringodoggie:

Cold quick wash is the tech. Whichever alcohol you choose to use. Using vodka fails because it’s only 40-45% alcohol, the rest is water. We don’t use iso and everclear for their flavor but for their strength.

Decarb first, then freeze your weed overnight. Freeze enough of your solvent to cover the weed overnight. Next day, remove lid on weed, add solvent, secure the lid on the weed, shake it hard for 10 sec, put it back, close the freezer.. in 10 minutes, shake the jar again for 10 sec. the alcohol should have a golden color and not much green. If there’s no green, put it back in the freezer another 3 min, then shake again. If the gold has gotten deeper, and the green is less than or about even, immediately strain and filter and press the weed. Put the lid back on the jar and return it to the freezer.

Evaporate the alcohol from your run and what remains is your bounty. Collect it, dab it, mix it with butter, salt, and lecithin. Personally, I love the flavor of cannabutter.

Consider doing a second wash of your weed.

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
use fresh material ie: not dry material. you can soak longer and lose less.
concerning the difference, i believe ISO is more agressive...

Winterizing ISO, Methanol, and Denatured alcohol extractions:
Even though Ethanol is polar itself, it can still be used to remove some of the undesirables they pick up, because it is not as aggressive a solvent as Isopropyl and Methanol. By re-dissolving their extracts in hot ethanol and then placing that in the freezer overnight, some of the undesirables will precipitate out and may be filtered out.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

i suggest evaporating as much solvent out as possible

Jammal

I go about 5 min. on a wash with 95% everclear from the freezer turned to full blast.

turns out really good.

I'm very stoned.

I need to make it again soon, I'll try to think about a demo.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks

Thanks again.

QWET is the ethanol version of QWISO. The secret to both is to them at subzero temperatures to reduce chlorophyll pickup.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=200660&highlight=QWET

As far a burning, try mixing it in something to dilute the 190 proof, to below 80 proof, like sipping whiskey. I sometimes take 190 proof ethanol tincture in a Frappaccino, and you can taste it, but no burn at all.

Extracting with lower proof works, but not as well and water is harder to get rid of than alcohol, and you pick up more water solubles.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I’ve never tried a water wash, mostly because of the (perceived) need to then dry the herb. If you just dump the wet weed into either alcohol, you’ll be diluting it and reducing its effect as a solvent. Also, the water in the weed will not be suddenly replaced by the alcohol, so you’ll miss anything. So, drying it after the wash would be necessary to let the weed be frozen, and to let the alch. penetrate the vegetable parts and capture all the goodness.

You could combine a slow dry and a slow decarb: just remember that once you hit 220f, your conversion will already be 80-85% complete.

Yes it has to be dried before the wash.

Rico Swazi

The secret to both is to them at subzero temperatures to reduce chlorophyll pickup.
thanks GW as that was the game changer for me ...freezing before extraction.... huge difference in the taste.

Not tinted green, a bit more like Amber Dragon

Still don't use it for edibles tho, too expensive , better bang for my buck to extract in oil or butter

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Thanks gang. Awesome feedback.

So, I was wrong about the long soak? I have read so many posts about leaving it in the closet for a month and on and on. Small wonder it always tasted like shit. LMAO

I don't have the equipment for sub-zero work but my food freezer is at 0F so that is probably, at least, better than room temperature. Unfortunately, there is only one place in this white trash town to buy dry ice so that's not a great option, either.

Most of my butter/oil/Everclear is used on rosin chips and ABV. After reading this, I am thinking a quick/cold wash of the rosin chips with EtOH will be my best bet. Then, dilute the Everclear as needed to make the taste bearable. Any suggestions on a mixer? Is citrus best? M&B Fruit Punch?

Another thing suggested is to use dry sift with EtOH. Sounds like a great idea. Especially since I have a few jars of dry sift sitting on the bench.

Again, thanks so much for all the great info.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In addition to pre-freezing the cannabis and your working tools, an iso and dry-ice bath will chill your ethanol quite low. No need for extravagant dry-ice purchases, since a couple pounds will chill a rather large bath. ;)

At the right temps you can do clear gold extractions with a few minute soak time.

Rico Swazi

I'll bet much of what you read is from the past
Long soaks were the way it was done....in the 70s
Some very smart and generous people have let us know there is a better way to attain a better product

Why would you wash your rosin chips Ringodoggie ?

Edit- just noticed you were using ABV and that is another possible source of a nasty tasting extract, possible the key word
I've used peppermint schnapps for flavoring in the past

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts