What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"no ceiling" effect

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Can someone help me to understand the strains with "no ceiling"?
I have read that once my cb receptors are full, THC (or CBD) will know longer be absorbed.
So is it the terpenes that are allowing someone to keep getting higher the more they smoke?

I have also heard that most of the strains that have no ceiling are Sativa. I have never tried a pure sativa, although I have a few in the works now.

Is this just "bro science"?
What is actually going on?

G

GatorGumbo

In my opinion based on my experiences, high THC and extremely low or linear CBD profiles will have the least amount of ceiling. I've only ever experienced it in high percentage sativas. I have zero scientific evidence or even anything beyond hearsay to support that, and everyone is different, but that's my observation.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hope this helps:

CBD modifies THC but not in a positive way for most folks that want to get higher.
CBD delays onset of the THC effects, reduces peak experiences, and makes the reduced effects last longer. Some like this but it does not make THC stronger. THCV is similar.
When we developed THCV only varieties the higher the THCV and the less THC the worse the smoke was for recreational use, we all hated the THCV only varieites they were like smoking hemp. They did have almost a 100 to 1 ratio of THCV to THC, much higher in THCV and much much lower in THC then your variety. Even a concentrate would be less then 1% THC.
We did get high from THCV/THC varieties that were closer to 1:1 but you also get high if you smoke 1:1 CBD/THC varieties but no one or few think CBD makes THC stronger or better for recreational use unless THC only varieites do get them to high and paranoid, and they use the CBD/THC to prevent that. That I understand, as long as they do not claim that CBD gets them higher.

-SamS

White Beard

I’m familiar with the no-ceiling effect from the days when no-one knew for sure what any of it was or where any of it came from. Everything was assumed to be sativa unless it was hash. It’s a thing I prize, and it seems to be really rare these days.

I’m formally skeptical of the THC/CBD puppet show, so I choose not to speculate about the effect ‘as if’; I suggest we still don’t know enough about how the cannabinoids interact and combine to affect either healing or consciousness - or to even evaluate the effectiveness of one form of administration over another. We can really only overcome the lacks in a normalized environment, one in which cannabis use is simply not an issue either for the researchers, the participants, or for the institution hosting/sponsoring any given study.

Drewsif

In Heaven theres is a Sativa planted before time that has yet to flower. We are all just microbes banished to the root zone, awaiting our return to the branches of Eden in the celestial spring.

Understanding no-ceiling: Long flowering. Full of microbes. Not very commercial so getting high fell out of fashion.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Hope this helps:

I've read that before, but also read Sam's post that said most western flowers had no CBD.
I realize that that's an old post. More and more western weed has CBD levels now. But at the time, no CBD, but weed with ceiling.
That's why I thought it must be the terpenes modulating the high to a "no ceiling" buzz.
I guess I should try to compile list of no ceiling strains and see if they have been tested and then compare profiles.
I found a thread from 2009 of no ceiling strains. Guess that's a start.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
In Heaven theres is a Sativa planted before time that has yet to flower. We are all just microbes banished to the root zone, awaiting our return to the branches of Eden in the celestial spring.

Understanding no-ceiling: Long flowering. Full of microbes. Not very commercial so getting high fell out of fashion.

You mean the tree of knowledge! Wasn't an apple that opened up Eve's mind.

Being that long flowering strains aren't very commercial, will probably make it harder for me to find terpene profiles for those strains.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I’m familiar with the no-ceiling effect from the days when no-one knew for sure what any of it was or where any of it came from. Everything was assumed to be sativa unless it was hash. It’s a thing I prize, and it seems to be really rare these days.

I’m formally skeptical of the THC/CBD puppet show, so I choose not to speculate about the effect ‘as if’; I suggest we still don’t know enough about how the cannabinoids interact and combine to affect either healing or consciousness - or to even evaluate the effectiveness of one form of administration over another. We can really only overcome the lacks in a normalized environment, one in which cannabis use is simply not an issue either for the researchers, the participants, or for the institution hosting/sponsoring any given study.

Yeah. The no ceiling effect could just be from an unknown minor cannabinoid that we don't test for. Could be in such small amounts, that we can't see it. Hard to test for something when you don't know what you're looking for.

Maybe Phylos could help. Lol
:biggrin:

White Beard

I've read that before, but also read Sam's post that said most western flowers had no CBD.
I realize that that's an old post. More and more western weed has CBD levels now. But at the time, no CBD, but weed with ceiling.
That's why I thought it must be the terpenes modulating the high to a "no ceiling" buzz.
I guess I should try to compile list of no ceiling strains and see if they have been tested and then compare profiles.
I found a thread from 2009 of no ceiling strains. Guess that's a start.

Interesting...but I had numerous ‘topless’ experiences back in the bagseed days...and I have every doubt that terpenes were a factor in those experiences

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Interesting...but I had numerous ‘topless’ experiences back in the bagseed days...and I have every doubt that terpenes were a factor in those experiences

So if skeptical of the CBD/THC, and doubt it's terpenes, what do you think?
Undiscovered cannabinoids like I said earlier?
Or something different?

G

GatorGumbo

THCV can modulate the effect of THC. IIRC there is a happy medium level of THCV that enhances the ceiling of the buzz a great deal, too much or too little and you have a drawback in the ceiling though.

WelderDan

Veteran
It's been a long time since I've smoked weed with no ceiling. The top shelf Sativa's of the day were where it's at. Colombian Gold, Thai, Jamaican Lambsbread. Colombian Red was not in that category. Good pot, but it had a ceiling. The absolute best was a Colombian Gold/Thai/Acapulco Gold hybrid that just made you higher, and higher and higher until it got sorta scary. Smoke enough and you'd be seeing shit out of the corners of your eyes. People now days would call it trip weed. Haven't had the like since the late 70's.

I tend to prefer more narcotic strains due to insomnia and the aches and pains of getting older. Not sure I'd even enjoy those potent Sativa's anymore.

Look at Ace or Cannabiogen for pure equatorial Sats, that's where you'll find that no ceiling type high.

Gry

Currently experiencing it with a cross of Jack's Cleaner and GG4.
Been a while since I have experienced this, and I am wallowing in it.

Hempy McNoodle

Ciskei from Tropical Seeds Co definitely had that "no ceiling" effect. As well as a very stimulating electric body buzz. It also was a strong appetite suppressant. I wonder if this combo of effects are due to the same cause. I had been wondering to what extent thcv may be playing a roll.

Nexus7

I'm thinking it's due to a relatively low but pure thc strain without even a trace of cbd. It's usually associated with euphoria/happy high ime.

Like a tropical sativa with 5-8% thc and no cbd at all.

The low dose thc allows for a shorter high enabling you to de-stone and get high again quicker. You're not actually getting higher and higher you're just getting high again. So the CB receptors must be returning to their default state more quickly.

Thcv possibly plays a part too.

N7

White Beard

So if skeptical of the CBD/THC, and doubt it's terpenes, what do you think?
Undiscovered cannabinoids like I said earlier?
Or something different?

Undiscovered cannabinoids are a distinct possibility. I think we’ve all bought into the THC story, to the exclusion of other active and effective compounds - in which cannabis is well-endowed. And as I suggested before, I think we’re pretty ignorant about what the actual mix of cannabinoids in any given sample is, and we have no provision for even trying to keep track of it, much less reliable evaluation of the samples.

So, TL;DR = cannabinoids are the specialty of cannabis, it has lots; we spend time distracted by THC and now CBD, we don’t really pay attention to the rest like we should. Keep looking for markers.

Mr. Lovebuzzed

I disagree. "no ceiling" effect means that you are high as kitty, smoke again and you get even higher, while you thought its not possible. its just prove its very very rare, even if you grow narrow leaf varieties. original glue definitely doesn't deliver this kind of effect.