What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Less Expensive Grow Lights

I guess the initial question here is, are any of these lower-priced full spectrum LED grow lights on Amazon worth trying? Budget is very limited and LEDs are preferred because of heat factor. Also looking to buy several lighting setups for several different projects.

I'll narrow down a few examples of these lights and post the links in a jiffy.

Only other consideration here is, the simpler the setup the better, I'm taking care of patients in a not-so-friendly state so the easier to work with the better for my sake & theirs.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I feel your paranoid frame of mind. I wouldnt say what state I was in for many years. Although Florida has come to be a Medical State, it is still not been completely accepted by law enforcement. It is also a no grow state. Stateing what miserable state you're from isnt as exposing as it used to be... just saying..

Getting to your question.. I went with the expensive LED, it died a year later and now I'm too paranoid to bring it somewhere to be fixed... you didnt say how strong an LED youd like to have but 'you get what you pay for'. I'm using CMH 315w bulbs. each bulb is supposed to emulate a 600wHPS bulb with half the heat. I spent big on the LED and it failed.. many last quite a while. The one I had was/is 600+W. The argument that a watt is a watt and each watt will produce the same heat is bounced around and each side (like politics) has their own point of view, good and bad. Me, I like the benefit of replacing a bulb for much less than a decent LED..
I like the light penetration of the bulb but the safety of the LED from fires is a strong argument for them. Good luck with your endeavors..

I went with the expensive LED, it died a year later and now I'm too paranoid to bring it somewhere to be fixed...you didnt say how strong an LED youd like to have but 'you get what you pay for'...I spent big on the LED and it failed...many last quite a while...The argument that a watt is a watt and each watt will produce the same heat is bounced around and each side (like politics) has their own point of view, good and bad...I like the light penetration of the bulb but the safety of the LED from fires is a strong argument for them.

Definitely all considerations that have been bouncing around my head.

I'm not nearly as paranoid as I used to be, though I do live in the absolute worst part of the state.

I didn't state what strength of light I wanted because I need several, I'm running mothers & fathers, some bonsai some not in my 2' x 4.5' closet, as well as a 4'x6' perpetual micro-SOG with freshly rooted clones that are flowering, and a 4'x8' grow tent I'll be running huge 100-gallon LOS no-till ScrOGs in. So I need multiple wattages, I'd imagine.

So here are a few of the actual lights that I am talking about, I realize that none of these are likely as strong as they state, even in wattage equivalents but are any of them powerful enough to get the job done in my several setups?

I'll post some more links later..too:

highydroLED 100W Full Spectrum E26/E27 Socket

Cholas 66W LED Grow Light Strips

Phlizon 600W LED Plant Grow Light kit

Giixer 1000W Full-Spectrum LED Grow Light

RECORDCENT Full Spectrum 1000W LED Grow Light

Bozily Full Spectrum 300W LED Grow Light

NOAH-S 1000W Full Spectrum Grow Lights w/ Bloom and Veg Switch

BLOOMSPECT 600W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Cold hard truth good buddy, unless you are willing to pay North of $200 and South of $500, you may want to rethink. I wouldn't in all honesty waste my money on what you have listed.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
They will grow weed but you might have to have them very close to get the penetration and then have to buy more than you wanted to get the spread and then be using ungodly amounts of wattage when you could buy a high energy efficiency system such as the samsung diode strips and boards that are popular

The latest gen diodes cost more to manufacturers so often go into better designed 500-1000$ plus lighting systems but buy some heatsinks some meanwell drivers and strips or diodes of cree cobs/x2 diodes or osram oslon ssl etc etc... samsung boards are very popular because they are so easy to fit.. and you save 1000s.. or get much better pot in a smaller grow and save 100s in wattage over years and a better lifespan due to lower heat output from more sensibly powered chips. These cheap high wattage are running the chips very hard and thermal management needs to be excellent for long lifespan.

Just adding some extra red to a 4k quantum board will grow some awesome pot..

The amount of converts on here gobsmacked by how good quantum boards are should testify enough.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You'll want to remove the affiliate links, since icmag will remove your account for them. Otherwise, it's a decent question.

Cold hard truth good buddy, unless you are willing to pay North of $200 and South of $500, you may want to rethink. I wouldn't in all honesty waste my money on what you have listed.

I get that, and accept that critique, my question is, for my setup (3 different environs) with a mother room that is 2'x4.5'x6.5', a micro-SOG that is 4'x6'x4', & a grow tent with two LOS No-Till Beds running ScrOGs that is 4'x8'x7' what is the least expensive light, that can produce the greatest gram/watt, with least amount of extra ventilation because of heat that can be bought? Or the best you could think of Switcher?

...and then be using ungodly amounts of wattage when you could buy a high energy efficiency system such as the samsung diode strips and boards that are popular.

Got any links, to that effect?

The latest gen diodes cost more to manufacturers so often go into better designed 500-1000$ plus lighting systems but buy some heatsinks some meanwell drivers and strips or diodes of cree cobs/x2 diodes or osram oslon ssl etc etc... samsung boards are very popular because they are so easy to fit.. and you save 1000s.. or get much better pot in a smaller grow and save 100s in wattage over years and a better lifespan due to lower heat output from more sensibly powered chips. These cheap high wattage are running the chips very hard and thermal management needs to be excellent for long lifespan.

All of that sounds absolutely amazing, but also sounds like it was translated to Chinese before I read it *so confused*

Just adding some extra red to a 4k quantum board will grow some awesome pot..

The amount of converts on here gobsmacked by how good quantum boards are should testify enough.

That, right there, that...I want to do that, maybe I should seek some DIYs for that.

After looking around I found this article breaking down quantum board vs. COBs, that had this to say:

LEDgardener.com said:
What are the Advantages Over COBs?
Here’s the question most skeptics are asking – why should I go QB over COBs? Well, you can sort of think of each of these boards as one giant COB. A typical COB has hundreds of individual diodes mounted to its little board, packed very tightly together. There are hundreds of diodes in these QBs as well, but they’re spread much further apart. The principal of harnessing the power of several small lights to produce one powerful source of light is the same, but the QBs just do it on a larger scale.

The main advantages for QBs are:

Thermal management is much simpler. The board can be mounted to a thin piece of aluminum with no active cooling and the diodes stay nice and cool.
More uniform spread of light. Compared to a COB that blasts all of its light from a surface 1″ in diameter, these boards are producing even light over the span of a foot.
Greater efficiency. At 50 watts, these boards are getting 180+ lumens per watt. Highly efficient COBs like the Cree CXB3590 average 160-170 lumens per watt at 50W.
What are the Disadvantages?

A few of the disadvantages I can think of are as follows:

There’s currently only one supplier and right now they’re completely out of stock.
These boards are more difficult to DIY than COBs are (if you want to build the actual board yourself).
Though light spread is better than typical COB setups, overall intensity in some areas is bound to be lower.
Cost. The price of COBs has really come down lately and even factoring the cost of a heat sink per COB, you could get 3 decent COBs for the same price as one QB with a heat sink.
Conclusion
It’s great to see manufacturers innovating and trying new things – these boards look really promising and I’m very excited to try this tech out. Since HLG was out of stock, last night I ordered 600 of these Samsung LM561C diodes from Digikey and I’m going to try and build something similar myself – we’ll see how it goes! Once I’ve had the opportunity to test these things out, I’ll be sure to share my results.

Does all of that sound right, and if so would it make more sense to use Quantum Boards & COBs together, and if so, do you have any recommendations on specific parts to buy & tutorials to walk me through the processes?

Rodehazrd

I ordered 1k rated led grow lights from walmart. 70 bucks each or so. They have a hundred ten watt led's or dual 5 watters. I like them in veg quite well but for flower I went back to the HPS after one run. They cover about 2x2 each. They claimed 4x4 at 20" but I use 3 in a 4x6 veg area and it works pretty well. I tried using two to replace the HPS 1k and got really fluffy lightweight buds. It was cheaper than a 1k hortie bulb but not worth it for flower. If I expand my veg area I would use them again in there but not anywhere else. For flower I think you just have to pay for the better spectrum.
:tiphat:

I found this DIY on another forum...seems legit, and I think I can get some of these supplies through my job without raising suspicion (I work at a sign factory, the other side of the shop uses thousands of LEDs/week.

some other forum said:
Have a micro cab? Thinking of building one? Frustrated with hot, bulky CFL lighting? Confused by inferior, expensive LED lamps? You've come to the right place.

DIY LED lights are perfect for space-restricted micro cabs. They're small, customizable, efficient, and (best of all) COOL. No more overheating PC cases!

I made this light with leftover supplies from a much larger light. It was fun to assemble and took about an afternoon. The design is meant to be as cheap and efficient as possible. This light can be used standalone for micro grows, for vegetative and/or mother cabs, or to supplement specific areas of a larger garden. Build the light as pictured, or expand it over a larger heatsink. The basic concept is the same whether you have 4 or 40 LEDs.

Before embarking on this adventure, be advised that it helps to have soldering experience BUT it's not necessary. A beginner should watch a couple youtube tutorials, then practice soldering wires together until they get the hang of it. A basic knowledge of electrical concepts is helpful as well, although if you've ever wired a DC fan to a wall-wart it's really not much more complicated than that.

Without further ado, let's get started. Here we have our supplies (counter clockwise from top left):

Osram Golden Dragon Plus LEDs 660nm red and 6500K bright white (~$5-$7 each from Mouser, more if you buy in bulk). These have a nice, wide coverage angle (170 degrees) and are easy to solder. You can get the plants nice and close without burning them. For a flower light, 3500K warm whites should be used in place of 6500K; also add a royal blue if you have space. For flowering I use a ratio of 5R:2W:1B.
Pre-stripped wires (from Rapid LED)
Molex connector that I'll cut in half to use for the plugs (also from Rapid LED)
Meanwell LPC-35-700 driver Readily available and cheap (~$16) that will drive up to 48V of LEDs at 700mA. Features short circuit and overcurrent protection in the form of a xener diode. Basically they're rock-solid. One of these will drive up to 12-15 LEDs on average.
Wakefield thermal pads, 173-7 series (also available from Mouser, very cheap, very thin @ .007", great thermal conductivity)
Copper CPU heatsink Any finned heatsink (aluminum or copper) will do; check ebay for a wide variety of cheap ones. This one is just an old one I had lying around. The bigger the light, the bigger the heatsink needs to be. A good rule of thumb is 9 square inches of heatsink surface area per watt for actively cooled lights; and 27 square inches for passively cooled. If your heatsink is too small, the area beneath the LED will get too hot, and your light will be less efficient.
Kapton tape to isolate the leads from the heatsink (couple bucks from dealextreme)
Thermal adhesive 2 part epoxy, non-conductive. I use Arctic Silver.
Multimeter for testing
Soldering iron & solder
Scissors, exacto knife (or razor) and tweezers
Extension cord (not pictured) You'll need this for the plug, so you can wire up the AC end of the driver.

First we pre-tin the leads on all the LEDs and wires. This ensures a solid electrical path and makes connecting them to the wires much easier once they're mounted to the heatsink. Simply melt a bit of solder on the end of the gun and touch each lead for 3-5 seconds, or until the solder transfers over and becomes shiny. Go slow and be careful not to burn the plastic housing. After you tin, GENTLY bend the leads upwards a bit. This gives us more room to press the LED down onto the thermal pad in the next step. Pre-tin your wires as well.

Next, cut the thermal pads to size and glue them to the bottom of the heatsink with the thermal paste. Ideally they should be slightly larger than the metal slug at the bottom of the LED. Apply pressure while the epoxy sets up; about 5 minutes is enough. Once it's dry you can trim off the excess goo with a razor.

Put a small piece of Kapton tape on each side of the thermal pad. This electrically isolates the leads from the heatsink.

Dab a bit of epoxy on the top of the pad and attach the LED. Again, apply gentle yet firm pressure to the sides of the LED while it dries (about 5 minutes). If a LED comes off, scrape the dry glue from the bottom and re-apply. If the epoxy is stubborn, clean the area with alcohol and start over. Attach each LED with the cathode (negative) side facing the same way. See that little dot to the right of the light? That's the cathode side.

Once you've attached everything let it sit for awhile as the epoxy sets up. Within an hour or two the epoxy will be 90% hard and you won't be able to remove the LED without risking damage to it.

Almost there! Now we need to wire them together in series. Remember back in high school learning about AC/DC current, and parallel and series circuits? Well, LED lights are simply a series DC circuit. This is why it's important to keep the cathode facing the same direction. Since we pre-tinned all of our leads, this should be easy. Bend the wires where you want them to go, and touch the soldering iron to the leads, connecting positive to negative all the way around. They should adhere within seconds. Again, this is where your super excellent soldering skills will come in handy, so practice up a bit! As you can see, mine are not perfect, but it's good enough.

I always add a molex plug just to make life easier, or if you want to use a different driver in the future. Speaking of plugs, now is a good time to cut off the plug end of your extension cord. Wire it (with caps or solder directly) to the AC end of the driver, which is blue (negative) and brown (line). The other end of the driver is the DC end, wire that to the other end of the molex plug. Here's the finished light ready for testing:

Want to test the connections? Put the multimeter in diode mode and touch each side. The LED will light up if the connections are good. Series circuits are like old Christmas tree lights: If one connection is bad, the whole thing won't light. Here's me testing a bigger light. It's good!

If the connections check out, plug it in! Be careful, it's super bright!!

That second pic is a flower light, complete with warm white and royal blue LEDs. It was built in much the same way, except using two drivers.

There you have it. Your own tiny LED light. It's not pretty, in fact it's pretty ghetto. But you built it, it will grow plants, and now you have the materials, knowledge, and manual dexterity to build more. Here are a couple fun shots of plants grown under these lights.

Pardon the lack of pics, but what do you guys think of that build?

Last edited:
G

GatorGumbo

FWIW I've used the Amazon blurple LEDs for a year before and they worked just fine for the money. Everything that has already been said about them is true, but in the end you can still get dank shit out of them.

Earlmarne

I found a low frequency square wave ballast and hood 630 cmh for 180 on ebay.
Got 2 philips bulbs ordered from walmart.
Im in it like 3 bills and some change.
Best light in my grow.
Ive got 2 solis tek a1s right next to it. Philips bulbs alao. Freakin lights cost me like 5 bills a peice after bulbs and have honestly been way too much lamp for my needs.
3 or 4 months of 24/0 on the cmh without a hiccup. Ill end up replacing the solis teks with the ebay jobs. Great freakin light

Thank you, I need more FWIW opinions, they are so much more existentially useful than your standard opinion on these forums...simple fact here my budget is very limited which also mean my budget for control the heat load is extremely limited so I need to figure out the least expensive way to properly light this garden, with enough adequacy to handle my various grow environs with ease.

Latest posts

Latest posts