What's new

"Mini PPK Grow" - Jacks 15-12-26 - Coco/Perlite

Ravenboy

feed your working reservoir via a float valve connected to an elevated mixing /volume tank and your add back and topping off days are over.

with experience you can steer the working part of the solution from the mixing tank by varying the nutrient amounts and ph adjustment.

for example, if i see 6.4-6.5 at 1250-1300 i will run a load of water only ph'ed to about 5.2 into the working part from the tank.

because it is being fed by a float valve the changes in the working part occur slowly and gently. it will have a very small immediate effect but over the course of a few days will correct to acceptable levels.

what you input and how much to correct is dependent upon your water supply, nutrient choice, uptake rates, environment, etc.

this allows me to go through an entire grow without doing a mass change out.

float valve!

Good idea but you missed an element of my design

I have no working res ... These are self contained . A 5 gallon res under each pot . No drain lines . No central res . Each PPK has its own pump .

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Good idea but you missed an element of my design

I have no working res ... These are self contained . A 5 gallon res under each pot . No drain lines . No central res . Each PPK has its own pump .

why are you working so hard?

Ravenboy

why are you working so hard?

thought i could source fittings locally so didn't get needed stuff last july when i went to USA, i was loaded down as it was

could not get any fittings here in Buenos Aires, and I can only receive two international packages a year - so not worth ordering.

needed to get the grow going now so not to end up in flower in 95 degree temperatures. its nearly spring here already.

i am looking for decent rubber hose so to do a main res without uni seals or bulkhead fittings (av8or style) - i think 3/4" rubber hose for car cooling systems would work. when i go to a main res, it will be one per tent, 4 PPKs each. and Ill keep the individual pumps so i have complete control over feeding on a per plant basis. each pump already has its own cycle timer (10 dollars each - eBay)

so i just need to drill and plumb the drains on the bottom buckets, run drain lines to the main res, and lengthen the pump to drip ring hoses. I made the retaining "pools" around the tents deep enough to hold the volume in the event of a bad leak, and they are larger than the tents, the main res and all hoses can sit in the retaining pool with the tent. thats why its one main res per tent, not one for two tents, i don't want any lines crossing the open floor, and any drain lines running between the two pools would have to rise up and over the 6" high sides of the retaining pools. and no, i could not have both tents in the same pool - i didn't smuggle enough pool liner to do the whole room.

i do agree i need the main res her tent. i will have it before the run is finished i am pretty sure. so far i am not working very hard, but the res's are stable

but these plants aren't very big yet though ...

and compared to hand carrying ten 3 gallon hempies to the kitchen to water, checking on 8 5 gallon reservoirs is a cake walk.

so far

thanks again for all the info and help. i am SO happy i went this route.

Ravenboy

Subbed up . Hey ravenboy nice to see and follow your thread

hey man

could not take it anymore over on that other forum. I start a PPK grow and guys right away telling me such a system cant work, this is wrong, doesn't have that, and this from guys who think having a wet/dry cycle (as in soil) in coco top feed DTW is a GOOD thing.

it gets plenty weird here here in ICMag forum too, but there are so many long time growers its pretty easy to find quality folk to hang with and follow

i still read one thread over there - ant dog - good guy i think

and i read another from time to time just to see a whole group of guys struggle with re-inventing the coco/perlite wheel

but i be here these days

Ravenboy

I agree ant is cool and genuine and openminded to new ideas. Some people are real ignorant some times.

check out the other guys thread, he's switching base nutes now. his so called method hasn't ever remained unchanged for more than a couple weeks.

liking these PPKs, its amazing how quickly the plants recover from a heavy round of LST....

the one thats the farthest along has covered the pot in horizontal stems, and about 20 tops are reaching up. it will take about ten days before i flip for this and two other plants, during which time i will connie to try to keep an even canopy while the new tops from the spread out laterals catch up with those on the other side (growing from the two tops, which are making their way horizontally around the pot)

I have a vibe about the two that are doing best.... not a good vibe. i am growing 5 Mount Cooks. 2 are absolutely growing at amazing rates. the other 3 lag behind. ITs been this way since they were seedlings.

many times this has happened to me: the best growing best looking fastest plants turn out to be males.

I hope not, these are nice plants. But if the other three are female, thats great..... I am hoping for at least 2 females from the 5

picts later, they are still sleeping.

islandgrower721

I will check it out sounds interesting. I love how you have it down to the science of it all. I am just a beginner but can't wait to be able to go the indoor route. For a complete grow . Weather by me dictates I will definitely have to have an a/c installed just to keep the temps at 80f . And that is anytime of the year. Temp difference is no more than 5°C . 30°C is the average temperature year round

Ravenboy

Here in Buenos Aires, i skip growing in December, January... usually by feburary its starting to get reasonable

my apartment AC is a small split, and its in the wrong part of the apartment to help - and run a mister to raise humidity, the door is shut.

I need a portable AC but I already have 10 lights and two circulating fans in there - its noisy enough (have neighbors - bedrooms above and blow my grow room)

so not adding any more noises in there.

Ravenboy

Looking good. Last night I upped the flood duration on the 4 first PPKs to 9 seconds, about 1.3 liters every 90 minutes, and this morning they look fine.

I LSTd them yesterday morning. already they are needing some more LST

my humidity is far from dialed in, my mister head failed, and there is a new one waiting for me at the international post office. But i was too busy building out PPKs to go get it.

even with RH swinging from 38 to 60, the growth rate is amazing.

photos soon.

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Looking good. Last night I upped the pulse duration on the 4 first PPKs to 9 seconds, about 1.3 liters every 90 minutes, and this morning they look fine.

I LSTd them yesterday morning. already they are needing some more LST

my humidity is far from dialed in, my mister head failed, and there is a new one waiting for me at the international post office. But i was too busy building out PPKs to go get it.

even with RH swinging from 38 to 60, the growth rate is amazing.

photos soon.
RB, 38% to 60%RH? 60% is good, no? 38% not so good, no? maybe iben bass acwards for some time.:dunno:

Ravenboy

photo time

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Ravenboy

this on is the farthest along on the LST. The top pf the pot is covered in horizontally trained stems, lots of tops growing. In a couple of days i will stop so much training and just let the tops reach for the light panels

maybe ten days until flip? i think i will flip at 10-12" high.

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the whole thread is a great demonstration showing speed of growth! thank you! excellent pics and beautiful plants!

Ravenboy

the whole thread is a great demonstration showing speed of growth! thank you! excellent pics and beautiful plants!

Hey man, thanks for dropping in

its amazing - I am already getting to the end of the "busy part" of LST on the first 4 - should flip those in a week, maybe ten days. they are 6 weeks old . Pulsing them 1.3L every 90 min.

the second four are about 11 days younger, and have now been in PPKs 5 days.

its rare that i get this excited about growing - its rare i have had it this relaxing.... and simple. only jacks. not even any PH down needed - my tap water is perfect for this

and no hand watering.

islandgrower721

You are really killing it so far .
Those ppks seem even better than dwc.
Got me thinking for when I am ready for a exclusive indoor grow. Have a few things to get in order first though. My temps are ridiculous all year round here.