What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Mini PPK Grow" - Jacks 15-12-26 - Coco/Perlite

Ravenboy

After two weeks of gradual decrease I am now down to using no calcinit . A few plants are well into the "shutting down new pistil initiation" ... everything I am growing is about an 8 weeker, so odds are that something will be flushing in a couple weeks

I haven't had any issues ... I DID have a tailpiece looking like it was wanting to gag , but I drilled 5/16 holes all over the bottom of every medium container and the roots stopped flowing the only route out ( the tailpiece) and instead started following the wAter out of 40 5/16 inch holes

So no clogging since the root problem is dispersed over the whole bottom rather being concentrated in the teailpiece

I highly recommend this modification , the drainage rate is noticeable improved and I think it helps the oxygenation of the root zone ( as the rapidly draining water level pulls air in behind it )

islandgrower721

Hey raven how are things coming along. Havent seen anything lately and would love to see the progress. I hope all is well with you. Oh and Ant_Dog says hey as well.

Ravenboy

Yesterday I chopped and trimmed three of the biggest plants I have ever grown in a 1 meter square tent . I have three more in 9 weeks of flower

I took photos and will post I promise . I am waiting in line at correo international for a package from the USA with the supplies for my central res !! No more hassle from the individual 4 gallon reservoirs !!! It proved to be doable but a bit of work .

Still it was less work than hand watering more than once a day

I can't even estimate the yield . I'd guess its double or more than my average hempy produced . They were in veg for the same length as time as I always do ( 8 weeks , i have a way of training that requires a lot of LST to get 20 or so tops per plant) . And two were plants I have experience with

Nutrients were same as my last hempy run , same size pots, same medium

so I am not quesing when I say that the the increase is all due to having changed to PPKs

islandgrower721

Awesome . Good to hear cant wait to see the plants still to harvest . I am seriously considering a ppk system myself. Which jacks do you use ? Looking on amazon right now. 15- 12- 26. + calcinit?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hoe lee ship! Amazon has it??? only 4lb tub but $49.99?? I remember paying that much for 25 lbs.. but that was years ago.. heres a link http://www.jrpeters.com/products_/16491/17592-jack-s-professional/16387-5-12-26-hydroponic-.html

contact them direct for pricing.. GL

Just found the 25# bag.. $89> free shipping. still good deal.
I been running 4 plants in PPKs for ??? 5 years ??? maybe more on the same 25# bag..
and have another 25lbs of each on the shelf, just in case..

C.O.B.

RB hope all is well. I pilfered your no central res idea. For my veg'n ppks. Makes things a lot easier while I transition away from the last of my fabric pots. Thank you! Salute!

Peace.

Ravenboy

i hated it totally and only did for the one grow in this thread. and ONLY bevause i had to pay too much for suitable hose here in argentina...

i made a trip to the usa and since december have been using the central res.

central res rocks, IMO. way more free time on my hands... .my system isnt big, maybe 25 gallons total for a 5 plan tent... but jacks has been VERY stable for me. i will say that NOT using a central res taught me a lot about how plants in jack's behaves in TINY reservoirs (4 gallon last gro) , it was stable enough, i just got tired of filling 6 buckets every day with a gallon of fluid each...

because of the ease of proper PPK growing (that meaning, with all the plumbing). this time around i have had enough time to work on the growroom controller i am wrting to run on an arduino Mega 2650.

the core of it is up and running. its running the room now... no slick UI or iphone app yet (had to finish the guts first) ... it controls the 10 pumps for 10 ppk sites, ten LED panels, 1 circulation pump, 2 exhaust fans, a heater, a humidifier, an AC, water leak sensors, and sends alerts and takes commands via SMS messages or a terminal progrom on a PC. needs a nice UI.

lots yet todo, but today i added hooked up the UVB panels and Far Red panels into the system, after finishing the timers (in the arduino code) for them last night... and i still have about 7 pins left for more sensors (one of which can be an IC chip that supports 16 more pins - for expansion)

C.O.B.

Understood, yea I just wanted to get the going while space permitted. It was either that, or transplant the next batch into fabric pots again.I have 1 Ppk in veg on a central res also attached to a bulk res. 3 other ppks without the central res for now. 2 more weeks and I can/will attach The rest to the res.

Wow,now that you have the time on your hands, you've gone and automated your grow! Salute! I'm not there yet with the automation and such. Still researching and learning which route I want to take. Fascinated by the arduino programming tho.

Peace.

Ravenboy

Understood, yea I just wanted to get the going while space permitted. It was either that, or transplant the next batch into fabric pots again.I have 1 Ppk in veg on a central res also attached to a bulk res. 3 other ppks without the central res for now. 2 more weeks and I can/will attach The rest to the res.

Wow,now that you have the time on your hands, you've gone and automated your grow! Salute! I'm not there yet with the automation and such. Still researching and learning which route I want to take. Fascinated by the arduino programming tho.

Peace.

yes, i am using an arduino MEGA because it has way more pins, and abundant ram for the executable. In my former life i was a microsoft software enngineer, its nice to be back to coding after a hiatus of 17 years!

i worked at MS< but at heart i am a macintosh guy.... i am just beginning the MAC application that provides a UI for display and control. and i still have to get a WIFI shield and upload the data to one of the IOT (internet of things) sites, so i can review the data from anywhere - getting alerts VIA SMS messages to my phone has me connected enough no matter where i am. but being able to see ALL the data on a website is even better

this is a commercial endeavor, i am going to offer this as a product when all the bells and whistles are finished (has applications beyond cultivation - security for example)