What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poor yield and stretching

Dankwolf

1#Switch one of your hp for a "mh 4000k" the blue will help with stretch . 2# trim that botom larf (small useless bud sites) off right before flower. 3# if needed trim larf of again after two weeks of flower. 4# leave ar 6" by 6" space for each top. 5# keep doing what you have been doing.

bakelite

1#Switch one of your hp for a "mh 4000k" the blue will help with stretch . 2# trim that botom larf (small useless bud sites) off right before flower. 3# if needed trim larf of again after two weeks of flower. 4# leave ar 6" by 6" space for each top. 5# keep doing what you have been doing.

DW, thx for the input. I have a 250w Halide bulb as well as a ballast that'll run both MH and HPS. I'll have to give that a shot. You mentioned leaving 6" x 6" space for each plant, that may be part of my issue as I tend to cram plants into my cab lol.

-bakelite

bakelite

DW, thx for the input. I have a 250w Halide bulb as well as a ballast that'll run both MH and HPS. I'll have to give that a shot. You mentioned leaving 6" x 6" space for each plant, that may be part of my issue as I tend to cram plants into my cab lol.

-bakelite

Dankwolf

6 inch by 6 inch space for each cola. Also that strain looks like a heavy kush strain and they plain suck for yield . look for a strain that is atleast 60% sativa and at most 40% indica . no kush crosses . if can find like a 75% sativa 25% indica that leans towerds the indica side as far as leafs (fat blades) it should yield like a boss . hash plant is a great place to start but there are many beautifull genitics to be had . also i stay away from elite xelite strains most suck ass and are more about hype then quality/ yeild .

Dankwolf

If you are doing a perpetual set up keep your early flower plants on mh side of lights and your further along in flowing plants on the hp side of lights .

Dankwolf

Another thing that know one anywhere on here really talk about is plant maturity and yeild. number of fingers on your leafs looked to be 3 maybe some with five so i am guessing you take all your clones from the bottom of a mother plant and that is fine if you grow big plants but if you have small plants and no grow space i would recommend taking a few cuttings from higher up on the plant where it is allready more mature. Clones from tops of plants will out produce clones from the bottom in my experience especially when talking about plants that will never get bigger 1.5ft to 2ft tall in flower.

greenthumbgirl

Based upon the pics and the info I'd say you definitely need a bigger light and a bit more space for those babies.

Excessive legging is almost always cause by too little light in my experience.

Ideally, I'd do 1.5 plants under a 1000w system, though idk how plausible it'd be, as the space looks to be somewhat constrained.

If you could limit yourself to 4 plants, give them lots of space (at least six inches as mentioned previously), and maybe move up to a 3-5 gallon pot I think you'd see a drastic increase in yield.

Also, stick to Ocean Forest or try out Vermifire soil. I've found the Black Gold to be variable in quality and performed the worst in a side by side comparison with Roots, Ocean Forest and Black Gold.

Dankwolf

10 gallon rubber made x 4 plants low stress traind in your set up would do well in yeild department but that extra veg time and you need proper room to do this .

Blazeee

Veteran

Ive just read through this thread, i know its a bit old but if you see this heres what i would do if i were you.

Start my ditching the 250w ballasts, and those hoods which are taking up all your head room.

Line the walls of the cab with mylar / orca or even paint them white, just make them reflective.

Buy your self a dimmable ballast and run it at 400w watts , in one of those cheap euro shade reflectors so you can get the lamp as high as possible. If you need to air cool your light get a cool tube as it takes up less head room than those reflectors youve got now.

Throw a 5 inch fan and filter in there at the top.

Throw a net in there and lower your plant count and train them to keep them short.

Make sure to defoliate all the lower stuff in veg before you flip.

Maybe try 8 plants in 6 - 11 litre pots

or 2-3 plants in 11-15l pots

Im positive this would improve your yield from what you are getting now :tiphat:

Dankwolf

I have grown fat buds with 90watt hps and cfls but if you got the funds a larger light can help but i dont think it fits your situation. Just my two cents

bakelite

Ive just read through this thread, i know its a bit old but if you see this heres what i would do if i were you.

Start my ditching the 250w ballasts, and those hoods which are taking up all your head room.

Line the walls of the cab with mylar / orca or even paint them white, just make them reflective.

Buy your self a dimmable ballast and run it at 400w watts , in one of those cheap euro shade reflectors so you can get the lamp as high as possible. If you need to air cool your light get a cool tube as it takes up less head room than those reflectors youve got now.

Throw a 5 inch fan and filter in there at the top.

Throw a net in there and lower your plant count and train them to keep them short.

Make sure to defoliate all the lower stuff in veg before you flip.

Maybe try 8 plants in 6 - 11 litre pots

or 2-3 plants in 11-15l pots

Im positive this would improve your yield from what you are getting now :tiphat:

Hey Blaze, thx for the suggestions. I have had better luck when using a cool tube in the past. I was lazy with this cab and didn't paint the walls flat white as I have in the past.

Easy7

Veteran
Run a halide during veg and stretch. You lost a lot of space for buds with the hps. HPS is for building flowers. Yes some people get away with hps for veg in larger spaces. For small spaces it's not very efficient (for vegging).

I always blew the top off the grow cab vegging with HPS in hydro. With hydro and no halide it's pretty much flower as soon as roots hit the water. Still wasted space stretching that could be buds.

Also I find cuttings that have alternating nodes tend to stack better and not always stretch. Seed plants have a different attitude and stacking. Just trim off those small starts at the bottom and focus on the top 3/4's.

Are you using oscillating fans?

I purposely stretch my plants in the 1st week, then plant till just under the sun leaves...
Sometimes i have excessive stretching... I find that an oscillating fan which disturbs the stem serves as a good form of L.S.T and helps to bulk up the stem.

Once you have fimmed, the plant will stunt for a while and should come back with a thicker stem.
Supercropping and bending will also help, just keep a roll of insulation tape handy and remember to water at least 1/2 hour before attempting any L.S.T

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
this post is like a year old i'm ure it's done by now. but since i replied i hope he up pots before flower next time. there's a lot of empty space in that pot that could be housing roots. prolly needs to feed less more often too since pots are so small. they look small to me anyway.

Latest posts

Latest posts