What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bale O Hay

HillBilly1

Veteran
This might be the wrong place but.

Anyone interested in doing the bale of hay challenge??

One photo per bale or 3 autos???

Just think of it as a HillBilly Hydro. Hahaha

armedoldhippy

Veteran
This might be the wrong place but.

Anyone interested in doing the bale of hay challenge??

One photo per bale or 3 autos???

Just think of it as a HillBilly Hydro. Hahaha

are you referring to straw bale farming? that is some cool stuff there. if I can locate my auto seed stash, i'll join in...

redlaser

Veteran
I'll have to google straw bale farming. Has to do with water conservation and adding organic material to the soil though probably. Thought this thread would be about salvaging import weed maybe. Straw bales left in place for a year or more on the ground will have lots of earthworms where the straw touches the ground.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I'll have to google straw bale farming. Has to do with water conservation and adding organic material to the soil though probably. Thought this thread would be about salvaging import weed maybe. Straw bales left in place for a year or more on the ground will have lots of earthworms where the straw touches the ground.

you flip a bale of straw on its side so the ends are showing. water it a few times. the straw will start breaking down into soil as it deteriorates. most folks dig a small depression into the top of the bale & pile potting soil there, and plant into that. the plant runs its roots into the bale. you can even grow potatoes like this. just cut the strings at harvest time and pick up your taters. over a growing season, your bale turns into top-notch compost for the next round...I've seen folks put the bale in a wheelbarrow or wagon so they can roll it into a better spot for sun or to water it. :)

brock1

I would be up for t but every time I put a bale out rats ripped it to bits so unfortunately it's a no go for me. It's a shame because I really wanted to try this out. :(

Latest posts

Latest posts