What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

captain planet

Veteran
Been pretty nervous about seed saving myself, I don't wanna lose precious raised box space just in case. I am starting to get pretty good with garlic and save the best eat the rest planting.*
But reading back thru you and Clack I'm wondering if you might help with my first year gala. I just noticed some leaf curl on new growth, some little black bugs, not to little might be caterpillar larvae, and I'm starting to get Rust dots all over
picture.php

I know it's not an earwig,but It says earwig because of the time I was looking at it.If you look on the left side of the page it shows bug pics to choose from.

Really narrows down the choices.

You are most welcome,sir!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hello all:wave:

Cap-Dont know if thats the start of curly leaf, bug problem or a combination of the two. My leaves look either further along or have something else altogether.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Whats a garden thread without Cannabis

Whats a garden thread without Cannabis

have mint, nettle, Horsetail, dandelion and a few unknowns.

captain planet

Veteran
Well i found my tree has cedar apple rust/ and a pest... Will treat with a fungicide (don't know yet) but I believe it only hurts aesthetics. The pest .... Will ward away, but I'm fine feeding a cpl other creatures I guess

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,i cant wait until my gardens start to mature and i can actually start generating enough organic matter to get compost piles firing off properly and more important i actually figure out what the heck im doing!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Captain Planet- What kind of fungicide do you use/plan on using? What kind of environment/ecosystem do you garden in? Are stonefruits something you can grow in your region? Have only room for Dwarfs and semidwarf here.

Unclefishstick- By the looks of it you know what the heck your doing. Thats a badass rock garden you have happening! You are growing in a totally different environment from me, so what thrives for you does lousy here and vice versa. Can you grow any kind of fruit in your area?

Ive got a nectarine in a 15 gallon planter that has nectarines on it this year. Just got it last year as a replacement for the one that died. The nursery was nice enough to replace it with a helluva specimen. It is a Harko and I'm totally impressed with this strain. It is 6 feet tall including the bucket.
Im excited, as these will be the first nectarines I have had the opportunity to eat ripened on the vine. :biggrin:

HARKO NECTARINE
picture.php

SRGB

Square Root® Garden Bag, 1 liter, pumice, perlite. Celery, propagated from bulb.
srbgb-celery.jpg

Kind regards,
/SRGB/

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Squash, Gourds and trailing vines

Squash, Gourds and trailing vines

Thanks for all the positive vibes from everyone who has visited and contributed to this thread! Starting this thread I was going to keep it to just the vegetable gardening, but ended up including fruits, animals & even the bounty from a fishing trip! So I encourage people to share their ideas and experiences. As long as it is earthy and fun, share it here!

The squash and trailing vegetables went in..........

Here is the LINEUP-

Gourds - mixed variety

Delicata -winter squash

Acorn -winter squash 2 strains (One of my favorites)

Yellow & green zuchinni -summer squash

Watermelon -Crimson sweet (small, round, early)

Scalopini squash- summer squash. (one of my favorites)

Some of the acorn squash lasted all winter in storage. What doesnt get ate gets tossed to the chickens. Have never grown delicata winter squash so this is its trial run. Seeds were acquired from a squash bought from the market.
Watermelon is wonderful and I keep trying new strains to try and turn some out. Could use some schooling on watermelon cultivation, it is my week point. Luckily a neighbor has it down pat and turns out the best watermelons Ive ever had the pleasure of eating. How he does it is he takes a few buckets of composted steer manure out of the barn with his tractor and dumps them in a big mound and pops a plant in the center of these huge poop mounds. The flavor of these melons totally supports the theory of MANURE= FLAVOR!

Biosynthesis

Last edited:

captain planet

Veteran
I'm not sure yet what fungicide I'll be usin/maybe making, but I have access to heavy duty things if needed via a spray buddy (tree/shrub spray guy) . I believe stone fruits are a def go here, personally I'm limited for space at the current time, adding another dwarf apple and a cpl figs. I've got mid atlantic growing conditions
Def a great thread you got goin!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Ive always grown a vegetable garden ,
where ever ive lived ,
one of the first things to do ,

not just for the good healthy food,
gardening is good for the soul ,
imho those of us that grow more varieties of plants and vegetables,
in the end understand more about growing,
and can grow pot more to its potential ..

just a little surprised how bare the earth is with most of you guys,
wheres all the mulch??

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
heres some from last winter,
i have to chop and change what i grow depending on the time of year,
european type vegetables go best in winter when its dry , cool and sunny ,
in the wet season i grow lots of asian vegetables , and pumpkins , ginger etc ..

winter is on its way now,
im trialling some garlic this year,
but will also have the usual stuff for the house ..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Donald Mallard-

The health of your greenery is stunning! Yours is a mulch heaven. Looked over your greenery and not a bug bite one. How do you do it?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
ohh i cheat with the bugs ,
all are housed within a grow tunnel made of white shade cloth ,
without it there would be very little to show.

i add as much mulch as i can,
and just poultry manure,
ashes from the fire ,
a little bit of fish emulsion and molasses,
full sun ,,
seems to be all they need ..

the life between the layer of mulch and soil is amazing,
its alive ,
its a must for the garden to have that life as prolific as you can,
encourage it and it will do a lot of the work for you ...

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Everyone check out Donald Malard's monster hilled rows of mulch! Hes killin it... Envy is setting in and I need to get busy! Thanks for the inspiration.

Besides emptying the chicken coop twice in the garden this year I am adding these wood chips that have been setting for 4 months. notice the white mycelium. Ive been launching it in the garden.

Heres and alright section of dirt but nothing compared to your uh...dirt.

Do you grow potatoes where you are at mallard? if so your potato crop must be bomb!