What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Unc-tanical Gardens

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes,my plant was a cutting i had in a throw together hydro system at the shop that i stuck in soil eventually,we had a wall of green system set up for a while until every single mealy bug in the county showed up to kill all the coleus...i seem to recall syngonium in my friends river tank

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres the arrowhead vine (Syngonium)

picture.php

its got quite a healthy vine going on it now,around 6-7 feet so i built a bamboo tripod for it to climb up

and the creeping charlie (Plectranthus fruticosus)
picture.php

a Draceana dermensis "lemon lime"

picture.php

a little bowl of sedums enjoying the morning sun
picture.php

one of the cactus i have thats somewhat rare in cultivation,a totem pole cactus (Pachycereus schottii v. monstrose)

picture.php

its a mutation,totally spineless,only on rare occasions do they flower,but they are sterile so they only reproduce by cuttings (they branch as they get older and larger,and the branches or cuttings root very easily). i think they are all genetically identical no matter where you see one,so they are basically clones...

there you go,even in the plant world there are clone only strains!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Looks fantastic, Unc. Ive been looking at the exotic plants that wallyworld keeps with the cacti.

Ive killed every cactus Ive come in contact with - I cant help overwatering them.

Gotta love how easily sedums root. I had 1 at work that had a leaf come off in a storm. It landed severed side down. I left it alone for a week and it rooted!

Play around with orchids at all? Theres a wild orchid that grows in my area that Id love to get out of the woods and into a window.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
havent gotten into orchids yet,since i live in the desert its far easier to keep the cactus and succulents happy,as things evolve here i will likely build a grow cab specifically for something like orchids,but they are a whole 'nother challenge to grow..
im hoping to have my front porch done up in at least double pane panels by fall so i can leave all the cactus out in the sun year round,in the winter i can just vent the lamp heat from the grow room right into that area to keep it warm enough.
plus my main veggie garden be will be easy to convert into a greenhouse during the winter,i can just frame up some panels to put in place,and take the shade cloth off and replace it with clear panels...

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
right on brotha nice cacti and suculants have any san pedro i have it comen out my ears lmao. i can give ya a cut n/p

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if i felt like spending a couple days wandering in the desert im sure i could find some peyote,for that matter i know i can get cuttings from the local cactus and succulent society...and im also pretty certain i have already done more than my fair share of psychotropic substances....

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
if i felt like spending a couple days wandering in the desert im sure i could find some peyote,for that matter i know i can get cuttings from the local cactus and succulent society...and im also pretty certain i have already done more than my fair share of psychotropic substances....
right the original cut i was given ohhh 10-12 yrs ago was gifted to me by a hands on healer. ive never done any of it only growen her out i like mushrooms every now n then better lol.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i suppose its not surprising that many ic maggers have san pedro or peyote cactus,there used to be a giant datura plant in the backyard,every year here several high school kids will be picked up blasted out of their gourds on jimson weed...
i will be planting some salvia in the yard this year as its a flower that does very well in the desert,once the compost bin is built i will be planting morning glory to train along the mesh bin sides...i have no idea if they produce anything but i will also be planting plenty of mexican poppy,some of the hillsides around here just get carpeted with them each year,even a tiny amount of spring rain will bring them up...

S

SeaMaiden

Uh... don't do 'yote unless you like puking the whole time. Acid is so much better. Or at least, back in the day it was sooo much better.

You need a bearded dragon or Gila monster/beaded lizard in there now!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Unc! You're doing your share creating oxygen! Thanks!

Gorgeous photos and great garden, thank you for sharing this with us!

Cactii are great fun and you certainly have an amazing botanical collection going on there, I haven't seen such variety in one small place since living in Oz... you should see Donald Mallard's place!

Keep up the happy growing!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uh... don't do 'yote unless you like puking the whole time. Acid is so much better. Or at least, back in the day it was sooo much better.

You need a bearded dragon or Gila monster/beaded lizard in there now!
lol,yeah,after puking on the window of the local peter piper pizza during some poor kids birthday and finding myself a few miles out in the desert come morning i decided enough with the peyote!
Unc! You're doing your share creating oxygen! Thanks!

Gorgeous photos and great garden, thank you for sharing this with us!

Cactii are great fun and you certainly have an amazing botanical collection going on there, I haven't seen such variety in one small place since living in Oz... you should see Donald Mallard's place!

Keep up the happy growing!
and i just bought 2 more cactus and 2 succulents!
i figure there are worse ways to spend money...so many different forms....nature is pretty fuckin cool!!

Opuntia macrodasys monstrose "crazy bunny"

picture.php

a collection of aloe...candelabra,cape and a hybrid called "park avenue"

picture.php

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
heres the arrowhead vine (Syngonium)

View Image

its got quite a healthy vine going on it now,around 6-7 feet so i built a bamboo tripod for it to climb up

and the creeping charlie (Plectranthus fruticosus)
View Image

a Draceana dermensis "lemon lime"

View Image

a little bowl of sedums enjoying the morning sun
View Image

one of the cactus i have thats somewhat rare in cultivation,a totem pole cactus (Pachycereus schottii v. monstrose)

View Image

its a mutation,totally spineless,only on rare occasions do they flower,but they are sterile so they only reproduce by cuttings (they branch as they get older and larger,and the branches or cuttings root very easily). i think they are all genetically identical no matter where you see one,so they are basically clones...

there you go,even in the plant world there are clone only strains!
That Pachycereus Schottii v Monstrose looks nice i bought one in the 80s paid about $3 a inch ibought one about 22 inch tall:tumbleweed:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That Pachycereus Schottii v Monstrose looks nice i bought one in the 80s paid about $3 a inch ibought one about 22 inch tall:tumbleweed:

i propagated this one myself so i got it for free

picture.php

but i see bare root cuttings this size for around 50 bux,they actually root very easily,they have two larger specimens at the shop,easily 3 feet tall,but they have pretty bad frost damage on them from being left outside,i may have to grab one of them just because it has some really nice offsets on it,i could probably get a half dozen good looking un scarred cuttings,then it would be easy enough to let the main trunks regrow for a year or two and no doubt i would be able to get even more cuttings...i could see having a small exotic cactus/ succulent greenhouse going here as a side thing,its a good old guy way to make some extra scratch..:tumbleweed:

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Love the Crazy bunny cactus :good:

Edit:- 9000 posts finally :woohoo:

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just got another varietal of the Opuntia macrodsys called an angel wing,i will grab some pics once i get it cleaned off,its a real pretty cactus,one of the kind with a bazillion glochids rather than spines,they dislodge at the slightest touch...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
further proof i cant be left unsupervised with a stack of 2x4...

in the long run i plan on turning the whole porch into a green house,but in the meantime,since i cant seem to stop buying plants,and winter is virtually over here,but being the high desert,it drops btween 30-40 degrees in temp overnight...so im just on the edge of acceptable temps for most of the cactus....but with a simple greenhouse set up many could go out already and bask in the sun..

the basic dimensions are 6 feet wide,2 feet deep,and 3 feet tall...

painted to match the stucco,plus i had the paint around,its also an elastomer paint so it should be fairly durable in the sun..

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just went with 6 mil clear plastic...which i discovered is different than 6 mil transparent plastic....good thing to know...since this year i will only need it covered for maybe another month so im not going to worry about venting and such,once spring hits in full i will take the plastic and the doors off and have it as shelves,plus the big plant stand will be coming out so this will be a spot for the plants that dont need full sun during the summer...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts