What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quallity of bud from LEDs

so this question relates only to the new style LEDs, I'm looking at getting one that draws a bit over 500w and has 60 degree focused lenses i believe, hydro grow led do these.

now im not looking to replace a 1kw but more so replace a 600w, im convinced this unit will cover the foot print fine but im wondering if the quallity in terms of smell and resin production is still there with LEDs, or improved?

cheers!

sneaky101

I've recently replaced all my lights withleds, but have only one harvest under my belt with them. But the "guy" I know says that it equals up to anything "his guy" gets to him. That was HortiLab's Super Sour Skunk. Very, very nice smoke.

Edit*. Forgot to me tn the resin and smell. The SSS stunk to high heaven and was very resinous. My biggest thing though was to help with temps. I went with Advanced LEDs because they are based out of Arkansas, have a live person who speeds english, and have a 90 dayno hassle return policy.

Cheers for that sneaky, I'm more curious if some one has grown the same cut under hps/led, I'm really big on taste and I would hate to see that go..in my head/view I can't see how it could have a negative effect on taste when the colour spectrum is so suited, but i've heard taste and resin production is reduced with LEDs over HPS.

also how were your yields with LED? less or equal+ of HPS with the same footprint?

sneaky101

also how were your yields with LED? less or equal+ of HPS with the same footprint?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say there. In the same tent I was running 750 watts (500w if heat was an issue) and my led that was in there was a 400watt led. I wasn't happy with the light spread of the led, so I am in the process of returning it for a 300 watt and 100 watt led. I will probably end up putting the 300 and a 200 watt in there when the replacements come....so hopefully I will get good light coverage from multiple units. This harvest I got about 12 oz from 2 diff strains that I hadn't grown in there before and the tent wasn't quite full vs about 20-24 oz with other strains...give or take. But all that I have shared with have been very impressed with the size and resin production. From what I have read, and I have smoked since then so take it with a grain of salt, is that the bud size will be smaller, but with increased terpines (I think) and I can't remember about resin. This last grow was dwc.

On the website I ordered the LEDs from, they tell you the coverage for each led. It tells you the maximum coverage and best coverage area for each light. It seems to me that you should take off 6" from each measurement to be accurate for mj. For instance, I originally got the 400 watt for my 2x4 tent, but never put it in there and ended up getting a 600 watt and it covers all areas in there. Really liking it....but it could be overkill. I've been known to go to extremes. I fgured out what i thought i needed and went up one. Hope this helps.

i am now only using led lights. the biggest difference between them and hid lights is their heat output. directly under my leds, the temps raise under 10 degrees. normally around 5-6 degrees. plants really enjoy the reduction of heat, and the light spectrum works wonders.

one thing to consider with the 60 degree angle lens of the leds you are looking at, is there is reduce footprint. advancedledlights has a new ds series with 10w crees and using a 90 degree angle lens. i have only had this one 1 week, but will soon be setting up a new crop with it.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
448 driven watts per unit, 60 degree beam. This is going on six harvests.

:kitty:

Attachments

• Bud, indica.jpg
    Bud, indica.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bud, sativa.jpg
    Bud, sativa.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 53 day dirt mother 2.jpg
    53 day dirt mother 2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 53 day top bud.jpg
    53 day top bud.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 24 days.jpg
    24 days.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 13

azsupratt

I think the Quality of LED is superior to HPS because of how close you can place them but the yield Greatly Suffers. Here is one of my personal bred strains I call Purple Snowflake flowered in a scrog 4x8 using only 6 evo90 LED's. The quality is second to none but I only harvested an oz... with a 1000w HPS ive gotten a pound out of her with no other changes.

picture.php

I switched my setup around so I will now be 3 evo 90's on the left of the tent, 1 Gavita 1000DE HPS in the middle and 3 evo 90's on the right. This should give me the best of both worlds.

azsupratt

I would LOVE to see that LED and Gavita combo going......sweet!

I cant wait. I also built a custom modified version of the Undercurrent only mine is Much more sophisticated and worry free.Its 3 Tier system FULL 3inch Schedule 80 PVC with a custom Middle built manifold I designed thats gravity based for equal nutrient distribution=)(Spent a lot of time and research on this baby) Combine my new system with the lights and I can only imagine the possibilities. I built a mini version of the system and the plants at 2 weeks flower from clone 12/12 (No Veg) are pushing 3 feet and already have massive bud sites =) Also testing the gavita at 1150 Watts in a 4x4 Tent with heat not surpassing 85F.

I REALLY plan to add 2 gavites into the 4x8 tent I want it like this:
from left to right
2 Evo90s, 1 Gavita, 2 Evo 90's, 1 Gavita 2 evo90's that way Ill have 2300 Watts of Gavita HPS and 540 Supplemental high quality LED lighting. I'm holding off on the second gavita to confirm heat since I haven't run the test in the big setup yet. The Led's in my last grow only made the tent MAX 75F barely brought up temps so I think I should be safe with 2 gavitas in there=) Will be fun to see anyway

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
having used both, i would say that the quality with good LED's is better

and the yield per watt used is also better - but dont expect it to be double that of HID.

Latest posts

Latest posts