What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone know where in the world I could buy Wasabi seeds?

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I was actually going to look into growing as a legal cash crop, it goes for around $100 a pound. I'll probably look into growing Horseradish for personal use, since I like it as well(I doubt I've actually ever tasted real Wasabi anyways).

ever so slightly off topic, but I heard Safron was an awesome (and legal) cash cropper too :)

U

unthing

Off-topic, but I've heard some test fields for growing truffles, they do it by inoculating the fungi to the roots of um, oak seedlings (is that the correct word for young trees?)which they have field of. I'll take some years before anything is harvested, but aren't those mushrooms expensive as f*ck?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
ever so slightly off topic, but I heard Safron was an awesome (and legal) cash cropper too :)
A quick scan of E-bay has Saffron selling for .17 to 1.00 per gram, I'll have to look into it........

Edit: I went and looked at Wikipedia, here is a snippet on cultivation:
C. sativus prefers friable, loose, low-density, well-watered, and well-drained clay-calcareous soils with high organic content. Traditional raised beds promote good drainage. Soil organic content was historically boosted via application of some 20–30 tonnes of manure per hectare. Afterwards—and with no further manure application—corms were planted.[15] After a period of dormancy through the summer, the corms send up their narrow leaves and begin to bud in early autumn. Only in mid-autumn do they flower. Harvests are by necessity a speedy affair: after blossoming at dawn, flowers quickly wilt as the day passes.[16] All plants bloom within a window of one or two weeks.[17] Roughly 150 flowers yield 1 gram (0.035 oz) of dry saffron threads; to produce 12 g of dried saffron (72 g freshly harvested), 1 kg of flowers are needed (1 lb for 0.2 oz of dried saffron). One fresh-picked flower yields an average 30 milligrams (0.46 gr) of fresh saffron or 7 milligrams (0.11 gr) of dried saffron.[15]

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you'd have better luck cultivating chantrelles.
all you need is a nice shady oak grove, some spore slurry,
and patience
patience
patience

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
A quick scan of E-bay has Saffron selling for .17 to 1.00 per gram, I'll have to look into it........

Edit: I went and looked at Wikipedia, here is a snippet on cultivation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_and_use_of_saffron

Bulk quantities of relatively lower-grade saffron can reach upwards of US$500/pound, while retail costs for small amounts may exceed 10 times that rate. In Western countries the average retail price is approximately $1,000 per pound.

I think ive read that greek red saffron sells for something like $4500/oz

you have to move to Krokos to sell it at that price though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krokos

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you could harvest cannabis stigmas and pass them off as saffron. :joint:

I bet they taste better too!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heh heh, I'm perfectly aware of the differences between European Horseradish and true Wasabi(Japanese Horseradish), I'm also aware that much of what is bought and sold as "Wasabi" is actually European horseradish(even in Japan).

I want to grow REAL Wasabi, hence my attempt to reach out to my international brethren for inside info on local sources of seeds not listed on the net, the seeds are rarer than most any Cannabis seeds you could think of.

As i understand it,, Japanese wasabi horseradish is a low yielding green root,, which is mixed with the larger yielding European horseradish with white roots.

Most of the time horseradish is propagated by root (not seed). If you find a supplier please post it up! We grow horseradish and would also like to grow some wasabi roots :yes: :D

peace

jj.thecarnivore

WASABIII!!!!
yes! Good stuff!

Goldenseal.. Hydrastis canadensis L. theres another good one popular for medicinal use, yet expensive. It used to grow with abundance in the US, but due to over use became rare. Low growing rhizome. Likes semi acidic soil (nutrient rich), cool winters and I believe. dapled to heavy shade... like American wild ginger conditions ... likes the soils that have moisture but enough woody material that it dries out... hardwood forest conditions... but it has also been cultivated in the redwood environment...

Last edited:

ol toby

http://www.mountaingardensherbs.com/

This guy sells seeds. He grows wasabi in buried kiddie pools with cold water flowing through them in the shade (I helped install one of these beds). He's located in NC north of A-ville (35 degrees lat. about 3500 ft elevation). If you're tryin to experiment it would probably be better to go with the starts from PNW, but just thought I'd share. I don't think they're listed on the site but contact him for info, I saw his stash and know he has them already packeted and ready to go.

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts