What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Growers becoming obsolete

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have been around since mary jane was only smoked by beatniks at the coffee shop. Personally have smoked since the summer of Woodstock....Aug 1969. Because of my job I was a closet smoker and can't believe the crap "my guy" sold me....$100 for a quarter oz.....

Been retired for almost 10 years now and seen a lot of changes.. Prices have gone to hell but the best boutique and small grower will survive. I run a two light grow have since I retired and I learned to do it right. Demand is still high and thinking it will be for anybody who takes the time to do it right.

As far as these forums go. Not many left. I just left a site that is dying a slow death. Founding fathers there are burnt out and don't care and it shows. I came here because this place is still alive and regulated well.

I think the better sites will always survive simply because old men like to sit around and talk about what we do. More so in the social forums.....the seed forums will be ok for those who like to pay for them....not me...

Agree with Cvh....I grow because I am not worried about leo kicking in my door. I am also becoming less and less worried about the neighborhood knowing what I am doing as marijuana is becoming more and more accepted...

I have never been on IG and at this time have no intention of looking at pics.

Vape pens are a problem and ultimately could be a major competitor....I am not interested in even trying.....I grow flowers, hash and kief...period....

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Oh, Phatty, you are right! Not only fun but I love to see the look on someones eyes when I am about to harvest....

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There will always be a place for quality growers and other purveyors of quality .Quality is the key.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Unless a legal market with 70% schwag forces quality to sell at shit prices to retail at top notch or turn to an illicit outlet who will pay what they ask.

In that scenario quality will suffer due to lack of funding or will be eradicated by the same assholes who have always fucked us because they have newly increased penalty laws and shiny new equipment to do just that.

Quality is finicky in reality.

ronbo51

Veteran
Yes. the future is concentrates, sold in retail outlets, tested, blended, terps added. I don't like them. I don't trust anyone I don't know and have only smoked my own pot for 40 years. I guess for the masses store bought pot will do, much like Bud Lite. That's just the way it's going to go, but not for me.

I sometimes wish I would take pictures and post up my shit. I would love to contribute more to ICmag than just helpful hints and attaboys to the growers that do post up. But I am older in a horrible state and I just cannot. I miss the old days with BYF and Nomad and other great outdoor projects documented from start to finish. Schrews is one of the last of the great od farmers still posting here. It didn't help anything that Gypsy took one for the team and Seedbay crumbled.

I am very careful with my money. I don't go eating at corporate restaurants. I don't wear corporate clothing. I buy local as much as possible and support the businesses in my community, not because it makes me a good person, but because it makes my community better when the money circulates locally rather than get hoovered up and sent to Corporate Headquarters never to see the local streets again. I will never buy pot from a store. But that's just me.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes. the future is concentrates, sold in retail outlets, tested, blended, terps added. I don't like them. I don't trust anyone I don't know and have only smoked my own pot for 40 years. I guess for the masses store bought pot will do, much like Bud Lite. That's just the way it's going to go, but not for me.

I sometimes wish I would take pictures and post up my shit. I would love to contribute more to ICmag than just helpful hints and attaboys to the growers that do post up. But I am older in a horrible state and I just cannot. I miss the old days with BYF and Nomad and other great outdoor projects documented from start to finish. Schrews is one of the last of the great od farmers still posting here. It didn't help anything that Gypsy took one for the team and Seedbay crumbled.

Ahhh.....hopefully soon Seedbay will rise once again.
<new site coming together - but can't say when finished>

Hydro8

So many old people I know grow now. I was somewhere the other week and all these old people start pulling out cell phones and show off plant pics(some were so old they had flip phones).

The growers I used to know that did it for living quit years ago when the market became flooded and everyone knows someone growing.

CaptainDankness

I am very careful with my money. I don't go eating at corporate restaurants. I don't wear corporate clothing. I buy local as much as possible and support the businesses in my community, not because it makes me a good person, but because it makes my community better when the money circulates locally rather than get hoovered up and sent to Corporate Headquarters never to see the local streets again. I will never buy pot from a store. But that's just me.

Yeah, things are definitely changing, the vape pens ain't too bad get you high and some taste really good I imagine with added terpines. I just still prefer a joint myself certainly won't be buying any vape cartridges. Lol

I really don't care too much about the corporate side as long as I can legally grow. I'm in the same boat as you I have some nice bud pictures, I'm just too paranoid to post online because my state has some harsh laws. We do have medical just can't grow your own legally so there's no point in getting a card. Not to mention I'd be losing my gun rights.

I'm more looking forward to growing weed paranoia free.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Interesting observation Dankness. I gave up my gun rights to grow. When I got my caregiver card apparently it shows up on my background check. I tried to buy a 38 special last year at a gun show.....I was turned down.

I served two years during the nam era as an infantry man in the United States Army. But I an not qualified to own a gun because I smoke marijuana.....So do you think I own guns......

I feel bad for those who live in backward ass states that still oppose med marijuana. It is proven to help. Oh, no study shows any harm as well. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal and have killed millions.....

I have been noticing my lungs can't take large hits like when I was younger....not gonna stop me though....I will enjoy marijuana in some form till the day I die....

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
There will always be a place for quality growers and other purveyors of quality .Quality is the key.

Quality is the key, but the problem is that quality is now defined by what used to be known as 'bag appeal', taste, smell, a good manicure and a pablum like generic high that everyone is more than willing to accept as 'good'.:tiphat:

St. Phatty

I said something about individual growers & personal med. crops.

But I have to admit, when Green Dot Labs was posting here, their plants were so obviously perfect and superbly resinous, they had obviously scaled up to a larger operation without losing quality.

Of course, they then fed their buds into a shredder and made concentrates. I have a feeling a lot of smokers will fill a bowl with 5 or 10 green dots and get completely ripped with one inhalation.

I think natural bud is like, hash on the vine.

I am not yet a big fan of concentrates, but maybe I will find some I like.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting observation Dankness. I gave up my gun rights to grow. When I got my caregiver card apparently it shows up on my background check. I tried to buy a 38 special last year at a gun show.....I was turned down.

I served two years during the nam era as an infantry man in the United States Army. But I an not qualified to own a gun because I smoke marijuana.....So do you think I own guns......

I feel bad for those who live in backward ass states that still oppose med marijuana. It is proven to help. Oh, no study shows any harm as well. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal and have killed millions.....

I have been noticing my lungs can't take large hits like when I was younger....not gonna stop me though....I will enjoy marijuana in some form till the day I die....
Your Rights are NOT gone.
You are being coerced by the powers that be to believe that which is not true.

In the Supreme Court case of Maybury v. Madison it was found that:
Any law repugnant to the Constitution is void.

Also, in the case of Miranda v Arizona it was found:
Where Rights are secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making which would abrogate them.

Also, Miller v US found that:
The claim and exercize of a Constitutional Right cannot be converted into a crime.

Brady v U.S. 397 US 742 and 748 said:
Waivers of Constitutional Rghts, not only must be done voluntarily, they must be knowingly intelligent acts, done with sufficient awareness of the relevant circumstances and consequences.

Yakus v US 321 U.S. 414 said:
But whenever the judicial power is called into play, it is responsible directly to fundamental law and no other authority can intervene to force or authorize the judicial body to disregard it.

U.S. v Minker 350 U.S. 179 said:
Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because of respect for the law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their Rights, due to ignorance.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Thanks for all the links Passion. But I don't want to raise above the radar. I have what I need and would rather hide....it does suck. I have fired a 45cal pistol, M-14, M-16, 60 cal, Law, worked on a small motor crew and a 90 cal. And the gov't won't let me have 38? Marijuana must really be dangerous.....not to mention I served my country...I stand for both the stars and stripes and stars and bars....

St. Phatty

Will Clow is a guy I know from the YMCA, where he used to do water-walking.

He moved here from California and opened up a gun store, 2nd Amendment Firearms.

The local city PD is major criminal action, they impound about 3 cars or trucks a day when they find any drug medications during forced searches.

The head of the SWAT team once pulled me over on a rainy day in late February, about 4 PM, rush hour.

The reasons for pulling me over ...
my brake lights were flashing
my windshield wipers were on
I signalled a turn 100 yards before the turn.

Wish I had got that on video.

Mr. Hamilton spent a half hour playing 20 questions with me. I just stood there and looked right in his eyes and pretended I was in a Silicon Valley job interview. Total fvcking asshole (him not me :biggrin:)

Will Clow simply refused to see firearms to Mr. Hamilton and his SWAT team. The only PD that got that treatment.

That pissed off somebody, they decided to, Get Will.

They did it using Medical Marijuana. They sent in someone who disclosed marijuana use verbally to Will, then said they didn't use it on the form.

He accepted the form and submitted it, the guy got a firearm, and the ATF came in and seized Will's inventory & collection of 120 rifles etc.

They turned that into a federal prison sentence for Will. He's in prison right now. He's about 70 years old.

There is a very dark spirit at work there at the intersection of the ATF, DEA, etc.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never gave up my guns, even though suggested when I was MMJ patient in 2008. Most guns for target shooting, but will say for protection too. Not a huge NRA fan...like growing, I keep firearms concealed, as with plants.

My dad first taught me at 8 y.o. (mid 1960's) shooting milk cartons and paper plates. From there, a little hunting.

Same goes for growing- started in high school, dropping bag seed along a river bank. First few grows weren't spectacular because I wasn't there to watch them, early college, it was hit or miss. Yet, learned grow (vegetable/flower) techniques from my great grandmother, aunts my folks, avid gardeners. The rest is history

And so it continues-guns and roses (herb).

I know many that start growing, hobbiests, or growing their medicine because of how MMJ is sold- either laden with chemicals or access/expense limits them.

Fancy vape pens and oils will not replace a 1 hitter on a ski lift, or a joint passed around a camp fire. I've switched methods over the years- tinctures, balms, bong rips, and portable vape for dried flower/kief.

Lrus007

Veteran
yes but some of us old growers have the
old plants.. that can not be found anymore.
also you grow it yourself you know what's in it.
Lrus007

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Them vape cartridges are really taking off, kind of hurts business a little bit, of course I could always make some.

Definitely not going to be as easy to make good money growing weed the prices keep dropping. Them vape cartridges can be filled with mid grade outdoor wax mixed with some nice terpines.

But fuck it, you know a big company will come out with shit like blue dream marijuana cigarettes. Lol, where it doesn't get much better, a little better sure but that will be for the real pot snobs.

We will always have homegrown though, I know I will be growing some trees in my front yard of some dank weed maybe even do a few Neville's Haze outdoors light dep in my front yard that's doable but out on the mountain no fucking way. Lol

I'm sure we'll still have a growing community better than ever really. I know I'd be growing still might become more of a hobby though.
But will those companies add nicotine/sales for the addiction factor?

My weed has not been 'treated' in any way! or I would know:bigeye:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
But will those companies add nicotine/sales for the addiction factor?

My weed has not been 'treated' in any way! or I would know:bigeye:

Funny you say that snook. Nice thing about growing your own. I get gifted pot all the time....I don't ever smoke it....I give it away. I only smoke my own....I know what is in it...nothing....