What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tall and stretching seedlings. new grower help!

drgreenthumb00

First time grower here. Eager to learn and get better with each grow.
Read up and watched YouTube to help with basic knowledge.
One of my buddies is helping and giving guidance along the way. Can't get in touch with him so posting for advice here.
Please excuse my dumbness as I'm not familiar with all the terminology yet.

I picked up some lsd-25 seeds from seedman.
Germinated in water and then paper towel method
Growing 3 just In case I screw up bad and kill one.

6 inch pots
fox farm happy grow and added little bit of perlite.
12 W LED growing light. My buddy suggested low Wattage at first
Light is about 5 inch away
I do have a 300W vipraspectra LED. plan on getting 2nd soon.
18/6 light cycle
PH around 6. PH Soil reader reads moist.
Temperature 73 low 75 high. humidity 60 low 65 high

At day 4, two of them are growing tall and lanky. Like 3 inch stems.
Third one is only about an inch-1.5 and appears the stem is a little thicker.
I had to help 2 of the seeds off. Third one was stunting bad so I had to remove that seed with more to.
All of them have two leaves growing outwards and grew third in middle.

I know I made a rookie mistake by not planting them deep enough.
This LSD-25 is supposed to be very forgiving to mistakes and I know I can get this rectified before killing them.
I did surround the two lanky ones with toothpicks to help keep them up.

So my questions?
Keep using 12W LED and raise them higher from plants?
Switch to 300W LED at about 25-30 inch?
Add a little bit more soil to cover some of stem?
Planned on eventually transplanting to 3gallon smart pots. But my understanding is 4 days is too wary for transplant?
Combination of a few of these?

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to cover everything in OP.
Thanks for any future tips and suggestions

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
two things. and, my apologies if I state something you already know. its not my intention to insult anyones intelligence.

1. when growing from seed, there is little else you need for the first few weeks, aside from pH correct water and light. although its perfectly fine to start seedlings in such a rich soil mix, its not necessary.
2. seedlings tend to stretch a bit when they first get going. the best way to keep this to a minimum is, if indoors, get the light as close as possible to them, without 'burning' them. Usually when they stretch, they are stretching out for more light. (if possible, put them outside. nothing beats natural sun, and ime, seedlings that start out with a few days under natural sun, tend to be a little easier when grown indoors afterwards. I attribute it to the benefits natural sun gives them. But im no botanist.

If things get too lanky and tall for you....split a straw down the side (assuming they are still legal in CA.....LOFL!) and wrap it around the 'stem' until it gets strong enough to handle the height.

just my $.02

thoughts?

-cap

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Good stuff.

When you up pot, plant them deep in your medium so
the lower nodes just above the medium.

You'll be alright.

drgreenthumb00

thanks for the advice.. just a tad bit worried. I'm gunna try the straw? I guess just newbie worries .. cheers

there was supposed to be a . and not ? after straw.. stupid auto correct. no idea how to edit posts in this forum

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
You can edit once you hit 50 posts. Good luck with the grow. You should do what Dropped Cat said also and bury deeper when you pot them up.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Also make sure you don't keep the soil too moist. It can kill them, especially when they are little seedlings. This is a common newbie mistake.
Good luck with your grow.

drgreenthumb00

Put up the 300W LED about 18-20 inch above. Drastically helped. Still needs minor help from toothpicks. Soon I can get rid of the picks

Latest posts

Latest posts