What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs on buds

Hookahhead

Caught this spider eating a grasshopper nymph for breakfast. Thanks little buddy!

picture.php

buzzmobile

Veteran
I tried to get a picture of this wasp on the plants but it was too quick. It has been in the room downstairs for about a week and it appears the poor thing is starving from the looks of its shrunken abdomen. I have no idea how it found its way down there and I have not been able to catch it to release it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P7291659.jpg
    P7291659.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P7291660.jpg
    P7291660.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 25
  • P7291662.jpg
    P7291662.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 24

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Was giving my girls a foliar feeding this morning and this little bugger really popped against all the green. No idea what the hell it is, but it wasn't the least bit camera shy. Thought it would be gone by the time I got back with the camera, but nope, never moved as I snapped a few pics.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
It's a leafhopper - a candy-striped also known as red banded also known as harlequin leafhopper. They will damage Cannabis leaves.

Graphocephala coccinea - Red-banded Leafhopper

View Image

Thanks buzzmobile for the info and link to the BugGuide, much appreciated. What do you suggest I do, if any thing can be done? I don’t want damaged leaves. So far I have only seen the one. Pretty cool looking - was really hoping it wouldn’t be a problem bug.

buzzmobile

Veteran
They're not a major pest problem as long as there are just a few. Spinosad offers some control. Soap spray will kill them but the spray must contact them. Keep an eye out for them but no need to go nuclear.

Rico Swazi

I have got these bastards returned after several year this season. What kind of insect do they belong to?

moths most likely, ones around here are night flyers

I have pics of eggs somewhere and will try to find them
BT or row covers help as well as hand picking

Look closely and you can tell a moth has been on your bud by looking at the color difference of the pistils, some will be slightly darker in color, matted down ever so slightly. Look under and on top for yellow/white eggs.

Kill them all when you do see them, take no prisoners
Good luck with them this year

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I saw the craziest bug yesterday.
It was a little bit smaller than a house fly. Metallic, but bright red!

I have seen metallic green flys outside, but never red.

I tried searching Google images, but haven't seen a match.

Maybe it is the green one but with a pigment deformity.

Of course I couldn't get my camera out fast enough.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
More visitors:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I saw the craziest bug yesterday.
It was a little bit smaller than a house fly. Metallic, but bright red!

I have seen metallic green flys outside, but never red.

I tried searching Google images, but haven't seen a match.

Maybe it is the green one but with a pigment deformity.

Of course I couldn't get my camera out fast enough.

I have also seen many small flies that are metallic green in color. I have also seen a few of what might be what you describe, but very few in comparison to the green ones. This morning I gave my girls a dose of fish emulsions and shortly after saw this fly and grabbed a pic. Maybe more of a reddish/gold... but larger than the small green ones and yet a bit smaller than a housefly.

picture.php