What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone into this Mars mission?

Space exploration fascinates me. Ten years ago it would have been inconceivable for me to imangine that I could sit at home and view images from Mars.

I grew up during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions. The night we landed on the Moon, I remember going out in the front yard and lookig up at the moon. I hope to live long enough to see our brothers and sisters journy to Mars and return safely. What about the images from the Hubble Space Telescope?

Have any of you read Stephen Hawkings "A brief History of Time" or Brian Greene's "An Elegant Universe" (7 other dimensions)? I had a college course in the early 70's. The professor opening statement was "Welcome to Dope Smoker's Physics".

When I ponder the reality of the Universe, at times it makes my brain hurt. Perhaps the answers are beyond our ability to comprehend.

Just a few thoughts.

U

Uncle Hughie

I am a sad so and so lol

I am a sad so and so lol

Yep ive been watchin!
i also own a Meade scope....plug it into the laptop on clear nights.....and chill watchin the orion nebula etc....

i recieved $800 worth of lenses for $90 as it was their anniversary..
Anyone else own a meade scope?

Peace!

Maddog

I don't have a scope, but I have clear skies most nights with the only ground light source being fireflies and candles.

As a life-long fan of science-fiction it is rewarding to watch it become reality. I too believe with Carl Sagan, that if there isn't other intelligent life out there, then the universe is a colossal "waste of space."

YF

Bartleby

Nah, it doesn't interest me much...but I am pretty much friggin demoralized from this stinking presidency and I would much rather see a president declaring that we will NOT BE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL in 10 years than we will walk on mars.

Yes, space exploration is extremely worthwhile as humanity needs scientific, artistic as well as philosophic advancement just to justify its own existence but any moves sponsored and promoted by this presidency seem to me like a balloon issue to draw the public's attention away from the real issues, ie. this corrupt presidency and this war that was declared on false pretences and lies.

Just my two centavos amigos.

Oh and I too own a telescope.

Ganjafan

CC,

I haven't been following the current mars mission(s), but I was really into the whole "face" controversy a couple of years ago. Still don't know what's going on with that one-it seems the controversy about NASA doctoring the photos is still alive and well in some circles, but the concept is fascinating.
I have seen the Stephen Hawking documentary "A Brief History of Time"-- multiple universes, string theory...whew! I need to fire one up to get into these thoughts.
The true brains in the family--my oldest daughter-- is a dual science major (Physics and Astronomy) and we have had some amazing discussions about black holes, theoretical physics and the nature of the universe(s) with me doing most of the learning:p
I still read a lot of science fiction-as I always have-but lately have been thinking about trying my hand at writing--With a mind as twisted as mine, who knows?
...I was thinking of a story about a "cannanaut" taking Apollo 11 to get some blue moon rocks (on L.S.D.) from the Sensi-Star...
:D

Last edited:

Ganjafan

Ground Control to Major Tom...commencing countdown engines on...

Strains I'd like to see:

Sputnik=White Russian+Blue Satelite
Raging Hormones=White Widow+Destroyer
Blue Balls=Blueberry+Hash Balls
Drag Queen=Amazonia+Kariba Suprise
Annulment=Honeymoon+Stinky Pinky

any thoughts?

Last edited:
Annulement!! I may have experienced this strain vivariously. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd get close enough to smoke some.

Ya made me laugh. Todays goona be a good one!!

G

:)
Someone has made the Drag Queen cross already.
Unfortunately the strain tends to be hermaphroditic.

Ganjafan

Fellow Cannanauts,
As you can see from the order of the list, my mind runs to depravity--well actually it sprints there;) :D

But don't ya know I'm enjoyin' the race!!!:D

Last edited:

strawdog

I like Bush's idea of sending a man to mars. And when the system is perfect we should send all those f*ckin nut bags who still have the angry ape gene to that planet and let them have their anti-pot laws there. Bush can lead them all. Let's ship em all off as quick as we can. :mad:

Latest posts

Latest posts