Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > 10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

Thread Title Search
10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM #31
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankie View Post
https://www.tank-depot.com/productdet...t=A-SP0005-SQ8

I found one!!

This site has smaller vessels, down to 2.5 gallons if you are looking for cone bottom. I might try a new design soon . . .
oooooooo i want one.

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3
heady blunts is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM #32
Bud-Boy

Bud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the roughBud-Boy is a jewel in the rough
Excellent idea!

Been scheming on how to waterfall without the impeller of a pump tearing up the micros.

Nice work

thanks for sharing
Bud-Boy is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM #33
Stankie

My newly designed tea brewer

Here is my newly built AACT brewer.

My old set-up was an X shaped PVC diffuser in a 5 gallon bucket. I imagined there were some 'dead zones' along the bottom of the bucket where the bottom met the side. My redesign is based on intelligent theory, instead of any actual microscope analysis.

Someone once dropped the idea of cone bottom tanks being used as a way to nearly eliminate dead zones. I experienced a little problem last summer with my vegetable/flower gardens and foliar spraying with my AACT. I think I introduced a little bit of 'nasties', particular to my tomatoes, peonies, peppers, and squash. I think most of that had to do with poor quality compost. But it still got the idea of cone bottoms churning in my mind again.

My 5 gallon vessel is QUALITY built! Heavy, thick plastic. The lid is vented. My gallon marks aren't painted bold/black though, no biggie. Here's a stock photo.

Here are some pics of my new set-up. I built a little table out of some scrap 2x4's and plywood.

I might need a little teflon tape to completely seal the threads on the bushing. These were loosely hand tightened and were dripping ever so slightly during my 'test run'.

Here is looking down inside the vessel. The angle of the side slope to the flat bottom is fairly open, to help eliminate dead zones. The air outlet is a 3/4" straight-pipe opening. No water backs into the air tube. I have been trying to think of a way to put a diffuser on here, but don't really even know if I need one.

Here is a pic of the bubbling test water in action. I am using a 70L/minute commercial air pump. I'm actually hoping there's not too much agitation, but I've heard thats nearly impossible. This is definitely Actively Aerated! The way it is setup now produces a nice column of air that really cycles the liquid. This really gets the water churning, breaks the water's surface tension, and produces a lot of movement of the suspended particles. I don't use a tea bag.

Any thoughts from 'the pros' or anybody else would be welcomed!

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM #34
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of light
nicely done.

you might want to have a valve of some kind somewhere( preferably at the bottom corner of the pvc) to drain the tea with ease. and aid in fast cleanup.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM #35
Stankie

I almost bought a ball valve but didn't. I still might add one.

The valve was pretty tight and needed a lot of force to adjust position. I thought it might strain the slip fit fittings. I also have been thinking about a small diffuser, so I might add/test some things this weekend.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM #36
Clackamas Coot

Clackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of light
Beautiful design and execution - it looks to be very professional all the way around.

CC
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
Clackamas Coot is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM #37
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
That is the principle of the 'Dirt Simple' brewer

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage

Microbeman is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM #38
razor ridge

razor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nicerazor ridge is just really nice
Where did you get such a container? whats its actual use?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM #39
Clackamas Coot

Clackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ridge View Post
Where did you get such a container? whats its actual use?
Look for the term 'cone bottom tanks' - they come in sizes from 5 gallon up to 20,000+ gallons.

Ones this size are not all that common compared to the larger size tanks offered.

CC
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
Clackamas Coot is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 PM #40
Stankie

Thanks CC!

Thanks MM! I was unfamiliar with that brand.... Looks like I may have saved a couple of bucks. I had never actually seen a conical bottom brewer, so thats why I posted my design.

Razor - This is the actual site I purchased from. CC is right, the smaller tank sizes are a little more difficult to find. I would have preferred a round tank, but there a no sharp corners in this tank. I believe it's original purpose is for bio-diesel, but am not 100%.