What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Six States Likely To Legalize Marijuana In The Next Election Cycle

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the writer is somewhat confused, certainly about Florida but that's my opinion:tiphat:
95_marj.jpg

Six States Likely To Legalize Marijuana In The Next Election Cycle
Colorado and Washington state made headlines when they legalized marijuana for recreational use, but those pioneering states are unlikely to be the last battles in the pot wars. The battle for marijuana legalization is just getting started, and a number of other states are expected to follow the path set by Washington and Colorado.

While battles for both medical and recreational pot are underway in a number of states across the nation, these are the six states experts feel could be the next ones to legalize the drug during the 2014 election cycle.

#1 - Oregon
Oregon is well known for its liberal politics, so it should come as no surprise that the state would be spearheading the effort for legalized marijuana. Indeed, many political observers both inside and outside the state expect Oregon to be the next to legalize pot for recreational use.

#2 - Florida
Advocates of marijuana legalization just passed a major milestone when they gathered enough signatures to get the measure on the fall ballot. While those opposed to the legalization of marijuana are vowing to fight the legitimacy of the signatures on those petitions, experts widely expect that the measure will indeed appear when voters go to the polls in 2014.

Recent polls have shown that a majority of Floridians support the legalization of marijuana. That means there is reason to believe that the Sunshine State will indeed take this step when the 2014 election season rolls around.

#3 - Alaska
Many outside observers would not expect Alaska to legalize marijuana. After all, the state is known as the home of conservative darling Sarah Palin, and its preference for republican policies is well known.

Alaska may indeed be a conservative place, but it is also the home of many libertarians and free thinkers. Many of those freedom-loving individuals feel the state has no business telling them what they can and cannot enjoy in their own homes, and that has led to an effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

#4 - California
California already has a booming business in medical marijuana, but there is a strong movement to legalize the drug for recreational use. No fewer than four ballot measures could be on the ballot in 2014. Each one of those ballot initiatives would legalize the use of marijuana for users over 21 years of age.

The most radical of those measures would allow individuals to possess up to 12 pounds of cannabis. While that measure is not expected to pass, experts give good odds to the other ballot initiatives that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana by adults.

#5 - Arizona
Advocates of legalized marijuana in Arizona have been busy gathering signatures for a petition that would place the measure on the fall 2014 ballot. Those advocates will need to gather 300,000 valid signatures by July 3, and they appear to be making good progress.

If the petition drive succeeds, Arizona voters will get a chance to weigh in on the legalization of the drug. Experts are divided about its chances, but the drive for the ballot initiative is a good indication of the success of the pro-cannabis movement.

#6 - Washington, D.C.
There is a strong drive for legalization of marijuana in the nation's capital, and advocates expect to begin gathering the signatures they will need in February or March of 2014. There are still some legal hurdles to be overcome, but if those barriers are cleared the measure to decriminalize marijuana could end up on the fall ballot.

Recent polls have shown strong support for the legalization of marijuana in Washington D.C. If those polls prove correct, the capital could become the next battleground in the fight over legalized pot.
http://www.gnd.com/six-states-likely-to-legalize-marijuana-in-the-next-election-cycle.php?ref=ob

TopShelf

I am 51yrs old and never voted, I know that is a shame. But I have never felt strongly enough about anything, until now about the mmj vote here in FL. So now I am a registered voter for the first time in my life. I hope it passes, and now I can say I will definitely do my part :)

The info on FL is misleading. The amendment on the 2014 ballot is a limited medical amendment not full legalization.
There are bills in this session for full legalization but probably will die in committee. Also bills for VERY limited medical useage in session this term.
The amendment is the closest FL can hope for at this time. United for Care has high profile lawyers behind it (providing money and a face as well as fund raising expertise). Polls are showing around 80% in favor for the amendment. Lots of work being put in now to get the vote out in Nov. Very excited to see this on the ballot.

#2 - Florida
Advocates of marijuana legalization just passed a major milestone when they gathered enough signatures to get the measure on the fall ballot. While those opposed to the legalization of marijuana are vowing to fight the legitimacy of the signatures on those petitions, experts widely expect that the measure will indeed appear when voters go to the polls in 2014.

Recent polls have shown that a majority of Floridians support the legalization of marijuana. That means there is reason to believe that the Sunshine State will indeed take this step when the 2014 election season rolls around.

I am 51yrs old and never voted, I know that is a shame. But I have never felt strongly enough about anything, until now about the mmj vote here in FL. So now I am a registered voter for the first time in my life. I hope it passes, and now I can say I will definitely do my part :)

If you are concerned about voting you can get an absentee ballot, which is the big push now by the volunteers attending events for United for Care.

#yeson2

If you would like to volunteer you can find them on Facebook and at their website. Google United for Care as I'm never sure if external links are allowed.

I cant wait, its just a matter of time before the entire country will be legal/med. Unfortunitely for me my state is not on this list or the list of possible states eyeing medical. Its sad I have several friends that are having a terrible time with chemo/ radiation or people with family members having seizures. One family in particular has a kid whos having major, life deminishing seizures and they continue to take the kid to neurologist who pumps them full of chemicals that are not helping at all. The bad part is the kids mom is a research nurse. I know she has read of the mass positive results with high cbd marijuana. SAD

RitualDelFuego

^^actually no, not all research people are allowed the luxury of truth. We can hope that research nurses would know better but i have met a few and there are more out there than you'd like to think who are still stuck in the old fashioned ideal... "Marijuana is an evil drug that might even cause harm" ...squares from the baby boomers and anyone older

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
#3 - Alaska
Many outside observers would not expect Alaska to legalize marijuana. After all, the state is known as the home of conservative darling Sarah Palin, and its preference for republican policies is well known.

Alaska may indeed be a conservative place, but it is also the home of many libertarians and free thinkers. Many of those freedom-loving individuals feel the state has no business telling them what they can and cannot enjoy in their own homes, and that has led to an effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

Geeze when will the Palin stigma end?..

From what I observed what political party has little to do with who uses MJ or not. The irony that exits here is hilarious, pot smoking republican right wingers. Strange but very true.

Anyways heres the info on the latest ballot initiative:

http://www.mpp.org/states/alaska/

In order to qualify for the ballot, initiative petitioners needed to collect at least 30,169 valid signatures of registered Alaska voters by January 2014. After months of hard work, on January 8 the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Alaska submitted more than 45,000 collected signatures to the Division of Elections. The lieutenant governor certified the initiative for the primary ballot on February 26, meaning Alaskans will officially have the opportunity to vote on whether to end marijuana prohibition this August.

The Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Alaska is an initiative committee formed to support a ballot measure entitled, “An Act to tax and regulate the production, sale, and use of marijuana.” As the title suggests, the measure would make the possession of marijuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older, and it would establish a regulated system of marijuana cultivation and sales.

http://regulatemarijuanainalaska.org/about/

Meraxes

Veteran
well 9 out of 10 republicans I meet, ridicule the hell out of pot smokers...saying things like it leads to laziness, crack, and homosexuality. I'm not even sure they can call themselves repubs nowadays, they are something new. some sort of non-factual bubble they're in.

As for experts saying the measure will indeed be on Florida's ballot.....Al Gore would indeed be president. The governor of FL is Rick Scott. The dick in America's dick....excuse my french

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
well 9 out of 10 republicans I meet, ridicule the hell out of pot smokers...saying things like it leads to laziness, crack, and homosexuality. I'm not even sure they can call themselves repubs nowadays, they are something new. some sort of non-factual bubble they're in.

Fair enough, thats your part of the country. We have a mix of bluecollar workers, ex-military, bikers, fishermen with I'll say republican values, that love their dope.

Wish you could meet one of my collegues, veteran.. patriot..longtime hardcore alaskan. Since the 70's MJ been tolerated for such a long time its the status quo and hes totally pro MJ he admitted to being a grower over the years. Hes nothing like the republican you describe.

I think the MJ legalization vote has a chance. I hope we win so we can help evolve the perception of MJ.

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
Ya, unfortunately Florida won't go full legal this year. Limited medical is seeming correct ATM. I'm no longer a resident. Most of my family still is. I keep close track and contact with family there. Really hoping the mmj bill passes.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran

That's the problem with the two party system. I have some Republican friends who lean more towards libertarian ideas. They believe in personal freedom. Social conservative Republicans believe in the opposite. Libertarian-leaning Republicans and religious conservatives don't really belong in the same party.

Ya, unfortunately Florida won't go full legal this year. Limited medical is seeming correct ATM. I'm no longer a resident. Most of my family still is. I keep close track and contact with family there. Really hoping the mmj bill passes.

I'm the same way. I lived in Florida for most of my life. Most of my family is still there. Some of them really need marijuana for medical use. Legalizing it for them would be a good thing. Just one step towards full legalization, hopefully.

Meraxes

Veteran
yup we definately need the liberatarians help on this. They are always pretty clever folks, and can mobilize the youth. If there were more of them in that clown show of a house, something would get passed. I wish they were more open minded about poverty, but bring em on....

As for experts saying the measure will indeed be on Florida's ballot.....Al Gore would indeed be president. The governor of FL is Rick Scott. The dick in America's dick....excuse my french

Not if it will be on the ballot IT IS ON THE BALLOT for 2014 ! French doesn't always translate well to English.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
^^^^exactly

experts = 1.1 million verified registered voters

and 685,000 registered voter signing the petition was all that was needed.

RitualDelFuego

I'd be surprised to see Oregon legalize.....:dance013:

why do you say it like that?? I know a lot of people in Oregon want legal weed, unfortunately the state has yet to produce any legislation that everyone can agree to.

cannabis would have been legalized in the last voting cycle, except lots of growers and dealers opposed the bill due to some of the language contained within...

Florida getting medical is going to be a BIG deal. Most people think of Miami, or Orlando when they think of Florida. Florida is still in the south, and thus has a lot of back woods conservative red neck types.

This will be a huge win for the movement. The rest of the South will slowly follow.

Latest posts

Latest posts