What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exercise Your Brain

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm now 56 years old. A while back, I started getting the feeling that I wasn't thinking as clearly, or as fast, as I was just a few years back. I did some research on google and found a bunch of interesting stuff that explains what's happening in our older skulls. I noticed the biggest change when it came to trying to remember things...here is a good link regarding that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_and_aging

Anyways, I was listening to a late night talk radio show one evening, and the guest happened to be talking about these brain exercises called "Dual N Back." So, I looked 'em up, found a good free website to do these exercises at (http://brainscale.net/dual-n-back/training), and started doing brain calisthenics.

I've been doing them for about 3 weeks now. When I started, I really sucked. But, I kept at it. Now, I've improved considerably, far beyond what I expected. And, it's not about competing with other people's scores, so I'm not going to post mine. It's more like getting out there and doing some physical exercise...some folks happen to be naturally inclined to do well at physical exercise, and some just aren't. But everybody who does physical exercise improves their health which leads to feeling good...even if they are only doing a 20 minute mile.

It's pretty boring stuff. I do about 30 minutes a day. The first improvement I noticed was in my sleep cycle...before I started doing these brain exercises I would wake up after about 3 hours of sleep and couldn't fall back to sleep. Now, I can get in about 7 hours of sleep before waking up. The next thing I noticed was that I was generally more awake and aware in a general sense throughout the day, but most noticeably immediately after completing the exercises. I read somewhere that it usually takes about 2 weeks to start noticing changes, but my sleep cycle change happened after only a few days. I also have been remembering my dreams...haven't done that in a real long time.

So, let me recommend these brain exercises. There are many, but the Dual N Back seem to be the most popular (these were also recommended for folks who have ADD, which I do). They are boring, but in my mind it is worth doing them rather than watching/feeling your brain function go downhill as we approach the later part of our lives.

If you start doing Dual N Back, I recommend starting off at level 1. Brainscale.net automatically starts you off at level 2, I found that too fuckin hard when I started. The exercise will automatically advance you to the next level when you score high enough at the current level, you need to score 80% to get advanced.

Here's some of those links again:

Brain training website:

http://brainscale.net/dual-n-back/training

Dual N Back explained:

http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/dual-n-back-training.html

Wiki article on memory and aging:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_and_aging

Last edited:

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm doing the Dual N Back at brainscale.net right now, and the site is very slow for some reason at the moment. Usually when you complete a 'set' you only have to wait a second or two before your score pops up on the right. Right now it's taking 20 seconds or so, not sure why....

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
So, I looked 'em up, found a good free website to do these exercises at (http://brainscale.net/dual-n-back/training), and started doing brain calisthenics.

It keeps wanting me to pay for a membership before I can do the training. It's not much, but it's not free. Why would anyone want to pay for something before they've even tried it? :noway:
[/FONT]

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey BB..

You don't have to pay for it. I'm doing it for free. If you do it for free, it makes you wait about 10-20 seconds between each set, which doesn't bother me in the least. If you pay, there is no waiting between each set. Not sure why you are getting this need to pay thing.

If you go to that link I provided, it puts you on the page where you can try out "demo's", but to start actually doing the exercises for real you have to register and then log in. Then you just hit the "start training" button over on the right hand side. It will then keep an ongoing log of your results to show you how you improve over time.

I wish I knew why it's asking you to pay....unless you are thinking that registering requires money...it doesn't.

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
Heh, it was because my noscript was enabled. I gave the site temporary permissions and it worked then. I'm way too high to try it right now, maybe later.

Thanks. :tiphat:

justpassnthru

Veteran
I'm now 56 years old. ...before I started doing these brain exercises I would wake up after about 3 hours of sleep and couldn't fall back to sleep. Now, I can get in about 7 hours of sleep before waking up.

Hey there Wiggs, :moon: I think you are simply doing some 'humblebraggin' about your good bladder control, during the night! Or, your young age! :biggrin: jpt

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heh, it was because my noscript was enabled. I gave the site temporary permissions and it worked then. I'm way too high to try it right now, maybe later.

Thanks. :tiphat:

Yeah, I always do my 30 minutes in the morning...and I'm not a wake n baker. I'm sure that I would not do as well if I was high.

dddaver

Veteran
I have found if I don't drink any liquids after about 5:30PM I can sleep 6 or 7 hours at night. If I do wake up in the middle of the night I usually can't get back to sleep. Sex used to put me back to sleep, but that ain't happening anymore. I always thought she liked being woken up in the middle of the night too, but maybe not. Maybe she was mostly just doing that for me. :dance013:, whatever, we both benefited.

I read somewhere crosswords are good for brain health. I try to do one everyday. I've gone through 4 or 5 books.

Why You Need to Put Your Brain on a Fitness Plan, Too | Shine Experts - Yahoo Shine

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a great link, DDDaver. I should do the crossword puzzle thing...I really enjoy words, and I think besides being good exercise for the brain, those puzzles probably help your vocabulary.

Runt

Crosswords, puzzles, sudoku are all good for you and I hate them one and all. I´ll give this a try though, who knows it might help me....remember shit!

Andyo

Veteran
chess titans was a wake up call for me at 57,I thought wtf am i stupid getting thrashed on level 3 now im 50/50 on level 8.
Gym works but ive been at that a life time,so obviously more physical than mental.
Ill give it a go.A

Look up lumosity. Works the best if everything else is in order. Lack of exercise or nutrition slows you down a lot. Stress (cortisol) also.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
first thing I do is the jumble, crossword, & the cryptoquote. for some odd reason, I have been having more trouble from the jumble than the cryptoquote... maybe more brain push-ups needed?:biggrin:

mik'

LOL !
------

and +100 with you DANNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
for 200% .... the brain is stewed fruit !!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin:

to be honest (after 33 years of consumption) I smoked many landrace African at the beginning... and very soon with more! My consumption could be of several grams per day :( After my landrace (senegal strain) was too low as effect... I mix it with Afghan landrace or hashish... Red Lebanese. And worse and worse even now many of haze are very low indeed... I'm forced to consume herbs very powerful :(a simple Senegal strain landrace does not provide of all to me the great of early effect... no matter what Durban Poison! Dutch, Sensi, or other... same with Skunk :(obligation to consume more and more strong! I think it is more a thing about the mentality ! the psychological profil ! the physiology of the person ! because friends always consume little for 30 years, do not overtighten ! with moderation! and selected ! And I have to quit until no longer physically hold and cerebral... others but also ! We are all different but smoking 30 years the same herb to have always the same effect is difficult because the crops get used ! It takes usually about... Alcohol... drug ! ECT! And it makes sense the cells of the body contains toxins or particles and knew you stoppes not a little or consumes excess your body requires more toxins... that is the logic.
It would be difficult to quit a Durban Poison Cannabis cigarette evening at home and never quit two! Personally I will not draw like this! And I can smoke already Black Widow 5 gasket between 8:00 and 11:00 and be totally screwed to 12:00 then continue the rest of the day with the CHEMDAWG... If I do not work I can consume 20 cigarette cannabis per day and if I work can be 10 but I catch the evening the other 10... after 30 years I am not a user recreation but rather in addiction, no problem!
many people I know consuming and more... addictions come very quickly when the genetics are good and very powerful ;) I'll be a liar to say = "Ho, yes, I SMOKED for 30 years and managed perfectly this"!
:laughing:
No, I plant for minimum 2 Kg per year or 2,5Kg and this is for my personal use... even if I offer a little to friends ! I see that 60Grms per week is not enough often... it goes better have 70Gmrs a week but before. 30 years ago the African 50Grms lasted 15 days easy but the actual genetics are much powerfull compared landrace african ! the difference is huge... too addiction, more powerful ! After I respect people who smoke 1 cigarette canna per day ! This is awesome but it's not my Vision of Cannabis... (identical with Alcool, the only thing different is that the old Landrace were often less powerful than current TRAINWRECK for example... less damage to the brain. It is impossible to know qi it smokes little or a lot!
And people are tumbling down to the ground with 2 aspirations when others can smoking 10 cigarettes of cannabis and stand or go to work...
drink a glass of alcohol every day = no interest for me ! I preferred drinking water... or Pepsi Cola !
If I drink alcohol = I drink several glasses ! not one... identical glass with cannabis and I do not know cannabis which retains the same effect long when eaten like this ! as said a Spanish farmer friend: "I put everything I can... and tomorrow is another day" !
Always more and stronger !
no specific exercise to the brain but still much create... to draw... Paint... ECT!
that the brain is working to create and not to count numbers. I'm not carrying.
And if the problems are too big should stop 6 months ! to preserve the mental and physical health. 1 machine cannot work every day ! throughout the year ! 10 years or 20 years no stop ! She breaks... the human body is the same.
Never stop a bit is the best way to have very big problems after 10 years, 20 years, 30 years !!!!!

And I am "OK" with NICK must compensate a lot with Vitamins when consome many Ganja. Vitamin C, D , E and lots of fruit ! ECT ...
because deficiencies are important for 1 big smoker and problems can happen very quickly ! Current genetic really are TOXIC ! ! !
Of breeders realize superb CONSISTENT genetic, balanced , useful, great ! But many others are just mixing FASHION genetic ...
by hybridizing 2 or 3 pretty names strains Thinking of getting 30 % THC and final genetics is a dirt of the highest quality ! ! ! ! !
totally unnecessary but very toxic... the choice of genetic according to its personality. tolerence . psychological profile is important ....
many people are paranoid quickly ? or quickly exhausted ? or exciting ? and it has nothing to do with their primary mentality. Attention must be paid a minimum ! If many people like Chemdawg (me too ) many others do not like it ! ! ! it should not be like all the others because it is the fashion ... we must choose intelligently according to its genetic expectations and personal feeling.

RESPECT !!!

Last edited: