What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THCV question

Passenger101

I noticed on the Ace website that some strains have their chromatography testing results. Since Ace has some amazing land race Sativas I was wondering which ones are highest in THCV?
Thanks,
Roy

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
SamS Quote:

"THCV is the propyl homologue of THC. In the aromatic ring the usual five-carbon pentyl is replaced by a short three-carbon propyl chain. The propyl cannabinoids have so far been found in some varieties originating from Southeast and Central Asia and parts of Africa. What are considered some very potent marijuana varieties contain propyl cannabinoids. In one study, THCV made up to 48.23 percent (Afghanistan strain) and 53.69 percent (South Africa) of the cannabinoids found (136). We've seen no reports on its activity in humans. From animal studies it appears to be much faster in onset and quicker to dissipate than THC (181). It may be the constituent of one- or two-toke grass, but its activity appears to be somewhat less than that of THC."[1]

Bumbatar

I thought I heard somewhere that thcv was more trippy and psychedelic than thc but short lived in effects. There was an ancient mummy they dug up in China not long ago that had cannabis flowers buried with him. The mummy was a priest or a shaman. They analyzed the flowers and found that they were all high thc low cbd ratio phenotypes also the flowers once had elevated levels thcv. This is interesting because if the cannabis was for religious purposes they may have been selecting buds and seeds for mind expansion and enlightenment rather than for just getting fucked up and trashed like they select for in modern times.

PDX Dopesmoker

SamS Quote:

Somewhere else Sam said that he thought that THCV's trick was that it masked the effects of THC, inducing the smoker to toke more than they otherwise would have and since the THCV metabolizes swiftly it then leaves the smoker in surprisingly stoned state. Back in the 1980s people would talk about "creeper" weed that wouldn't get you high immediately, but would hit you pretty hard once it took effect, that may have been THCV stuff.

Bumbatar

Somewhere else Sam said that he thought that THCV's trick was that it masked the effects of THC, inducing the smoker to toke more than they otherwise would have and since the THCV metabolizes swiftly it then leaves the smoker in surprisingly stoned state. Back in the 1980s people would talk about "creeper" weed that wouldn't get you high immediately, but would hit you pretty hard once it took effect, that may have been THCV stuff.

That reminds me of when I eat hot peppers mixed in food and cannot feel them at first then later I realize I have eaten to much because my mouth is in searing pain but I cannot go back and undo what I did. I have had similar experiences with strong creeper cannabis and it was NOT fun.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

That shit got me in so many pickles.
"fuck.... I can't go back to class like this." lol

Passenger101

Thanks for your input. I found a company in California that is selling a THCV e-cigarette that claims to be made from the strain Doug’s Varin. It’s somewhere around 30% THCV. In another related article the the company founder stated that the strain was too bulky for smoking, so the more concentrated extract was more viable to sell.

In the emagazine Civilized.life they listed the top 4 THCV strains at:
1. Doug’s Varin
2. Tangie
3. Pineapple Purps
4. Durban Poison
Yet, They have no other real information to back this up. I just got Durban Poison and Tangie seeds, the other two don’t seem to have seeds readily available. I’m currently asking the Durban & Tangie breeders if they have a data sheet on these.

Also as mentioned here strong Landrace Eqitorial sativas seem like a good place to look. Should I just contact breeders and ask for data sheets?

My interest in THCV started when I heard someone say their employer has a bounty of 5,000 usd on Doug’s Varin clones. Which just got me curious what some other high THCV strains are just to grow and test on myself and a couple of friends.

I enjoy the icmag.com community, I appreciate any help offered.

I like the idea of “The creeper”, with the THCV filling the receptor a bunch of THC waiting for the THCV to burn off and then remaining in-uptaken THC blasting the receptors ~30 minutes later.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks for your input. I found a company in California that is selling a THCV e-cigarette that claims to be made from the strain Doug’s Varin. It’s somewhere around 30% THCV. In another related article the the company founder stated that the strain was too bulky for smoking, so the more concentrated extract was more viable to sell.

1. Doug’s Varin
2. Tangie
3. Pineapple Purps
4. Durban Poison
Yet, They have no other real information to back this up. I just got Durban Poison and Tangie seeds, the other two don’t seem to have seeds readily available. I’m currently asking the Durban & Tangie breeders if they have a data sheet on these.

Also as mentioned here strong Landrace Eqitorial sativas seem like a good place to look. Should I just contact breeders and ask for data sheets?

My interest in THCV started when I heard someone say their employer has a bounty of 5,000 usd on Doug’s Varin clones. Which just got me curious what some other high THCV strains are just to grow and test on myself and a couple of friends.

I like the idea of “The creeper”, with the THCV filling the receptor a bunch of THC waiting for the THCV to burn off and then remaining in-uptaken THC blasting the receptors ~30 minutes later.

As far as I can tell, Doug’s Varin does not exist.

It looks like a company trying to invent and own that market. I'd love to get my hands on some of their extracts and test it. I've yet to see anyone post results.

PDX Dopesmoker

1. Doug’s Varin
2. Tangie
3. Pineapple Purps
4. Durban Poison

Are these the carts you're talking about?
Hywpqn2.jpg

They're linked to in the other active thread about THCV here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352520, theres a lot of other good info on the topic in there

SolarLogos

That shit got me in so many pickles.
"fuck.... I can't go back to class like this." lol
I can totally relate to that. Too many times when I was young. Everything is cool, then suddenly it hits you exactly at the same time a cop pulls out onto the road behind you.
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
(Buffalo Springfield)

Peace, God bless

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
You might have seen this already from the Thcv thread i started that PDX linked.

I used Durban Poison as one of the 4 parents we used to create a THCV only variety 20 years ago, the THCV was not so high, only 1-2% but it was there. I also used a Thai, an Afghan and Calif Orange, they also had small amounts of THCV. after 4 years of seperately selfing these lines which raised the THCV %'s they were combined to make our THCV variety.
-SamS

To be clear the THCV % of the 4 parent lines were low in THCV, 1-2%, after selfing several years and combining the 4 parental lines we knocked that up to more then 10% with little to no other Cannabinoids.
We also did that for CBC, CBG, CBDV, CBCV, CBGV, THCV, etc....
-SamS

PDX Dopesmoker

I never hear anything about CBDv. If THCv doesn't get you high all that much because its fucked up THC, then maybe CBDv gets you super wasted because it braindamaged CBD.

Passenger101

Thanks Ibechillin,
I had not read that Sam S. So Durbin poison should get me a nice little bit 1-2% of THCv. A couple of months back I bought a small amount of it in Colorado and it is unusually uplifting.