What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed and coffee—the Portland Speedball.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
from http://www.wweek.com/restaurants/20...-new-world-of-cannabis-and-caffeine-pairings/

Welcome to the Brave New World of Cannabis and Caffeine Pairings
Weed and coffee—the Portland Speedball.

Coffee and weed: they rule. It's a pairing that goes back to the early days of coffeehouse culture in this country, from the beatniks in the '50s to the Berkeley hippies hanging out at the original Peet's Coffee in the late '60s. Today it's not uncommon for baristas to receive a sweet nug or pre-roll in the tip jar, and they're more than happy to return the favor with delicious drinks that play nicely with various buds and extracts.

Portland is one of the few places in the world where you can legally do this, with coffee bars and dispensaries chilling out in just about every neighborhood. Here are four ways to pair coffee and weed across the city without having to get in your car.

Pairing 1: Orange Cookies pre-roll from TreeHouse Collective & Alma Chocolate mocha

A chill little Kerns pairing starts at Alma Chocolate (140 NE 28th Ave., 503-517-0262, almachocolate.com), which sells the most chocolate-forward mocha in Portland. It combines Alma's dark drinking chocolate with a deep, limbic-system hit from the Spella espresso base. It is a real treat.

Then wander your happy ass a few blocks to TreeHouse Collective (2419 NE Sandy Blvd., 503-894-8774, pdxtreehouse.com), which is probably my favorite shop on Sandy's Wacky Tobacky Road stretching eastward to the Grotto. As recommended by the shop folks, pick up a half-gram pre-roll of Orange Cookies. This hybrid of Orange Juice and Girl Scout Cookies makes for a subtly obvious pairing choice, with citrus flavors in the terpenes that play nicely with that velvety chocolate mocha. The result is a nice uplift from the J and a pleasing Christmas candy-orange linger on the ol' taste buds.

3 more pairings in the wweek link above

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah....sounds like the plan!!! Often times I'll crush up a bud and put in drip coffee. No matter how you do it, coffee & cannabis....can't go wrong with that one!!

MR_Falcon

Veteran
We always called it the "poor mans' speedball". Even though thinking about it, I'm not sure if it would be more or less expensive than a real speedball...:biggrin:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
A Perfect Day of Beer and Cannabis Pairings
From waking and baking to dessert after dinner—we've got your chillest day off ever mapped out.
Any true degenerate knows that beer and weed are the cornerstones of a successful day off. It's easy to just grab whatever is sitting in your fridge and pack a bong with whatever is mixed in your grinder, but with some light planning you can maximize your enjoyment throughout the day.
continues...

http://www.wweek.com/cannabis/2017/03/07/a-perfect-day-of-beer-and-cannabis-pairings/

OregonBorn

For the guy that said he could not find good buds of Durban Poison in PDX area, that is what I have found as well. Few have good (if any) Durban. I got a Q-oz from D e a n z on Sandy that was stellar. They have not had it in since Feb. though. O/w I would buy more!

mayorofthdesert

I've long called a double espresso & a joint a "hippie speedball", i look forward to one every saturday morning. nowadays i find it's better done with a double espresso & two dabs.

mayorofthdesert

off tomorrow, going to try a dab, down the double espresso & follow immediately with another dab. then maybe some push-ups. i don't exercise at all & i smoke like a chimney.

maybe i should get up an hour earlier every day, do a hippie speedball & go for a run before work. my dad drank like a fish every night, drank coffee and ran two miles every morning and went to work every day from as early as i remember until i was 18. he smoked cigs too. also weed, sometimes good, sometimes meh, i sampled all, hehe.

i'm 47 now, he's 69 & has been sober 30ish years. we're best friends, take motorcycle & jeep trips etc.. Despite the fact that he was a total head while i was growing up (many more drugs, i recall mushrooms drying on screens, know of lots of acid & i lifted pills regularly too) he was damned strict. especially with my underage drug use.

i mow his lawn & make sure to let him know i keep a cooler of beer & a pipe behind the barn just like when i did when iwas 16 & if he doesn't like it i needn't mow the lawn. the tables are turned, hahaha

k-s-p

Veteran
I've long called a double espresso & a joint a "hippie speedball", i look forward to one every saturday morning. nowadays i find it's better done with a double espresso & two dabs.

That's what we always called it too. Got through a few shutdowns that way, ran the gun and calcs. Others liked coke but I liked the hippie speedball. :dance013:

PDX Dopesmoker

I don't think that a combined cannabis/caffeine extract would be all that hard to put together. You could even run coffee & cannabis in the same CO2 extraction tube.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Hopefully as it becomes legal worldwide, we will be able to pair weed and coffee by region... a nice Colombian bud with a good Colombian coffee... nice

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Portland Speedball?

Say it with me.... cooofffeeee shhhoooooppp.

Coffee shop.

Really?