What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

B

BigHerm

HempKat said:
1) Yes, in a chamber that size 430W is the highest I'd go.
2) I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but as an Idea I've seen people rig up large rubbermaid bins like might be used as a storage bin or an ice chest using fluorosto veg plants but for 8-10 you'd probably need 2 or 3 large bins like that. Then again it all depends on who you are doing things. I figure 2 or 3 bins because if they'll be vegging 2 months they'll be a fair size by the time you can move them. If it was timed though that they only needed to hold the plants a couple of weeks then you could have them in cups and get 10 in one bin.
3) Again it depends on how you are doing them, personally with the way I like to grow for 10 plants vegging I would use at least 360W of fluoro. Thing is, the grow box you describe is not enough for 10 plants nor is 430W of HID. Unless you are growing SOG style. I grow 10 bush size plants under a 1000W HID and I need a space 5'x8'x8' to handle it.
4)The only notable thing I picked up on in your diagram as an issue is your vent placement. Heat rises and cool air falls. Due to this your intake vent should be low to the ground so it can pull in the coolest air possible. Likewise since heat rises your exhaust should be at the top preferably directly above the light so it can pull out the hottest air possible.
Thanks for all of your help.

I am only going to be vegging for 2-3 weeks. I am only going to flower 6 plants in my cabinet under the 430watt. I figured I should veg 8-10 so I could pick the best to flower.

What I meant by "What should I use for vegetation" is what medium? If Im going to be transporting them in to a hydro water farm system to flower. Am I going to need a smaller hydro system for vegetaion? Can you veg in soil in the transplant to hydro system for flower? Sorry for the stupid questions. I just cant figure out how Im going to veg, and then transplant to a hydro system for flower?

Thanks again,
:joint:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
BigHerm said:
Thanks for all of your help.

I am only going to be vegging for 2-3 weeks. I am only going to flower 6 plants in my cabinet under the 430watt. I figured I should veg 8-10 so I could pick the best to flower.

What I meant by "What should I use for vegetation" is what medium? If Im going to be transporting them in to a hydro water farm system to flower. Am I going to need a smaller hydro system for vegetaion? Can you veg in soil in the transplant to hydro system for flower? Sorry for the stupid questions. I just cant figure out how Im going to veg, and then transplant to a hydro system for flower?

Thanks again,
:joint:

Alas I have practically no knowledge of hydro so I really don't know how to answer that.

G

Big Herm,what kind of hydro system are you transplanting into and what medium and containers are you going to use in that system? I think determining that will help you narrow your choices of mediums to veg in.

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
yes...I should cut one or risk and split them...

thaz no future for 2 plants together...

thanx Hempy.

later

HempKat

Veteran
gr0wmatic said:
:bongsmi: ~ pass

whats up HK2.0 ??

just wired a 400hps for veg w/hood ...

Hey gr0w good to see you back over here again. So are you saying you did one of those build it yourself ballast/light kits? If so did you find it difficult? and/or was it a good savings?

gr0wmatic

HempKat said:
Hey gr0w good to see you back over here again. So are you saying you did one of those build it yourself ballast/light kits? If so did you find it difficult? and/or was it a good savings?

nah just go a hood for my 400 hps thats all now i need some glass and a centrifugal fan right now im using a dayton

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I transplanted 3 afghani's from party sups to 1 gallon pots.

The soil mix is
50% FFOF
20% ewc/compost
30% chunky perlite
1 tbsn D.lime

I watered them in with:

5cc ejbloom (to bring down the pH and the P for the roots)
5 cc liquid kelp
2 drops superthrive.

all to one gallon of water.

I used the whole gallon between the three of them and at the moment they are sitting in the runoff-I am waiting from some of the solution to be absorbed back into the fresh soil mix.

In about an hour I will remove them and let the remaining runoff drain and place them in my cab under subdued light.

My question for the OF's should I put them under the 250w hps right away or wait till tomorrow?

My thinking is under subdued light the transplant shock might be minimized. Your thoughts?

minds_I

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
gr0wmatic said:
nah just go a hood for my 400 hps thats all now i need some glass and a centrifugal fan right now im using a dayton

Ah cool, what hood did you go with? Got any links or pics?

HempKat

Veteran
minds_I said:
Hello all,

I transplanted 3 afghani's from party sups to 1 gallon pots.

The soil mix is
50% FFOF
20% ewc/compost
30% chunky perlite
1 tbsn D.lime

I watered them in with:

5cc ejbloom (to bring down the pH and the P for the roots)
5 cc liquid kelp
2 drops superthrive.

all to one gallon of water.

I used the whole gallon between the three of them and at the moment they are sitting in the runoff-I am waiting from some of the solution to be absorbed back into the fresh soil mix.

In about an hour I will remove them and let the remaining runoff drain and place them in my cab under subdued light.

My question for the OF's should I put them under the 250w hps right away or wait till tomorrow?

My thinking is under subdued light the transplant shock might be minimized. Your thoughts?

minds_I

Well transplant shock for the most part is a myth. There is such a thing but generally it doesn't happen unless you disturb the rootball too much. To give you an idea of what I mean by too much, you can take a utility knife and cut four slits running from the top of the rootball to the bottom, about a 1/2 inches deep, on all four sides (N,S,E,W) and that's not too much disturbance. Plus doing that helps the roots to spread out more efficiently into the new soil. If you had them under something weaker then the 250 before you should put them under the 250 but just have the 250 higher then normal for the first few days. I've never worked with a 250 so I don't know what their optimum distance is. Lets say though their optimum distance was 6" above the plant normally then in this case you would want to start it at about 12" and then move it in an inch every day until it's 6" above. This allows the plant to adjust gradually to the stronger light. Personally I have not found this to be a mandatory step as long as temps and humidity are good. But still it's a good precaution.

Last edited:

WeedTime

hey HempCat,

I really enjoy the thread. Im glad that you are able to help with your experience.

As I remember well I remember you from C2CC thread on OG yes ? It was good thread with alot of stains, info and many good growers like mr. kringle. I liked his growing method in rockwool hehe.

btw. do kringle show his shots somewere on the net ?

My question is about drying and curing. Can you tell me Cat how do you drying (hum/temp) and curing (first month) your buds ?

Peace.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
WeedTime said:
As I remember well I remember you from C2CC thread on OG yes ? It was good thread with alot of stains, info and many good growers like mr. kringle. I liked his growing method in rockwool hehe.

Actually that was HempCat that you're thinking of...also a very cool dude.

Last edited:

WeedTime

hehe, thats nice

Ive remember you too Sandman ;]

why do you not continue 'clones' thread here at IC ? I know few people there 20+ years of growing full room of clones 12months/year who can really enjoy.

peace

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
It was here about a year ago when OG was slow as hell, but it never took off like it did on OG. I think alot of the crew got tired of all the kids with 4 posts asking for seeds for clone onlys :biglaugh:

HempKat

Veteran
WeedTime said:
hey HempCat,

I really enjoy the thread. Im glad that you are able to help with your experience.

btw. do kringle show his shots somewere on the net ?

My question is about drying and curing. Can you tell me Cat how do you drying (hum/temp) and curing (first month) your buds ?

Peace.

Okay the HempCat from C2CC was a different user. I'm HempKat with a K, I came into the C2CC thread a couple of times but you're thinking of someone else. Yes, Kringle and all that crowd were very cool and skilled on many different levels, good people. I hope they protected themselves well through all the business of OG going down.

I don't know if Kringle is showing his shots around still, many people dropped out, many scattered to smaller sites, many changed names, it's hard to know who is who these days.

As for your question I can tell you my drying method, I can't say that it's the same as HempCat's but I'm guessing it's close. Basically I use the method outlined in the growfaq from OG and goes something like this. I harvest the plant and trim immediately or even harvest branches at a time. You can trim after they dry if you want but it's more trouble. After they are trimmed I hang them in a dark, room temp area at 50-55% humidity with a fan gently circulating the air. I leave them hanging until it dries enough for the stem to snap when you bend it. It doesn't have to break in two but it will make a snap or crunch noise. This usually takes a week to 9 days. At that time I cut off any excess stem I may have left for hanging and place all buds in quart mason jars and seal them up. I then store the jars in a dark room tempurature, dry place. For the first week I pull the jars out daily and air them out for about 10 minutes (by airring out I just mean openning the jar). If at first you notice condensation in the jars or the buds seemed to have gotten too moist (by moisture still trapped in the core of the bud) then pull those buds out and let them air dry until they return to where they were when you put them in the jars. Then place back in the jar and continue. After the first two weeks I switch from once a day to once every other day for for 10 minutes and do that for the next two weeks. After that I do it once a week for the second month. After that I seal them in vaccuum sealed pouches for long term storage (not necessarrily good if bud appearence is important as it tends to compress things a bit.)

That's pretty much it, in storage they say the cooler the better without going to freezing but room temp is okay.

HempKat

Veteran
MTF-Sandman said:
Actually that was HempCat that you're thinking of...also a very cool dude.

Actually I always thought HempCat was a female grower, but I could be wrong.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
HempKat said:
Actually I always thought HempCat was a female grower, but I could be wrong.

lol...nope, he was definitely a dude. As far as I know everyone from C2CC is safe, but as you guessed alot of them have changed their names and spread out to different sites.

Glad to still see ya around HK :wave: Keep up the good work!

HempKat

Veteran
MTF-Sandman said:
lol...nope, he was definitely a dude. As far as I know everyone from C2CC is safe, but as you guessed alot of them have changed their names and spread out to different sites.

Glad to still see ya around HK :wave: Keep up the good work!

I'm trying, but not too many seem to need help or if they do not many come here. Oh well. :confused:

WeedTime

Hello guys, thanks for comment

thanks to answer my question HempKat, sorry for mistaken You to HempCat, I really enjoy your help.

When you hang plants to drying after trim you do that in room temp or lower ? as I know the temp around 20C (70F) is the best for drying yes ?

Ive seen in your grow thread that you can much icrease or decrease humidity. Can you tell me how you do that ? by higher or lower ventilation ? Ive got climate control in my room but I can only balanced between 50-60% RH,

peace

HempKat

Veteran
WeedTime said:
Hello guys, thanks for comment

thanks to answer my question HempKat, sorry for mistaken You to HempCat, I really enjoy your help.

When you hang plants to drying after trim you do that in room temp or lower ? as I know the temp around 20C (70F) is the best for drying yes ?

Ive seen in your grow thread that you can much icrease or decrease humidity. Can you tell me how you do that ? by higher or lower ventilation ? Ive got climate control in my room but I can only balanced between 50-60% RH,

peace

I have a dehumidifier which helps me lower it to what I want, the area I'm in is naturally high for humidity but once you got 10 plants going around a foot tall or bigger in a confined area humidity going up is usually not a problem. So I use a dehumidifier to lower it if I need the humidity lower. If I need it higher I just turn it off. I also cool the room in the spring and summer with a window ac unit which also lowers humidity some. In fact I believe air conditioners were invented as a result of trying to come up with a dehumidifier.

As for drying I keep them in a dark room kept at room temps, I don't worry if it's exactly 70 which is what most consider room temp 72 is okay but above that I try to cool it down or it dries too fast 50-60% is okay for drying, in fact some would prefer that but above 60% you have to be careful of mold and mildew leading to bud rot.