What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is that Full Nova bulb coming soon? That looks crazy good.

Also another thing I noticed is that HPS does not make transition lenses on glasses go dark, but MH does. That may tell you something.

the gnome

Veteran
dr shio, your 1st post is very informative and made a lot of common sense to me and HZs and your thing about not stressing the plant in changing is also good info to think on.
I firmly believe genetics has the biggest role in what and how the plant performs, then health and finally we can tweak it with fertz and lights to a degree.

my plant in Q is performing much better under the Mh side.
the hps side doesn't hold a candle to the mh 1/2
this is the 1st nite and day difference Ive seen from lighting and really didn't think there was anything yet that could provide this amount of difference

btw
I'm using the sunmaster 7200K Mh bulb in this grow

WattSaver

Very informative thread. I've always thought that the color spectrum was very important. I changed from hps to cmh almost a yr ago, and have been very happy with the results. Only problem is the largest bulb available is 400w. I wish they would make a higher wattage bulb. I run 2 bulbs in a large hood this winter I may add a third.

I also agree that genetics and environment play a larger role in the final results. I'm willing to bet vapes environment is as dialed in as can be, after that everything is frosting.

vapedg13

Veteran
i keep it simple....sunshine #4.... a couple fans 75-85*F... 24/7 veg area... 60%rh

My personal grow... I use a 24 hr dark/flower room....60%rh 65-70*F......shifting flowering plants every 12 hrs

I transplant every 14-18days.

004-16.jpg

Heres some Casey Jones ( thai x sd x trainwreck)

001-28.jpg

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That Casey Jones plant is gigantic. What nutrients do you use with the sunshine #4 soil? It blows my mind how big those buds are in just 1.5 gallons of soil. Great work.

-Funk

vapedg13

Veteran
That Casey Jones plant is gigantic. What nutrients do you use with the sunshine #4 soil? It blows my mind how big those buds are in just 1.5 gallons of soil. Great work.

-Funk

thanks man...nutes...directions call for 1 oz per gallon veg and flower fert

I use Greenleaves grow and bloom juice....In veg once every 4 waterings...1 oz per gallon

In flower, I use 1/2 of what the directions call for....but I use the bloom fertilizer everytime I water

I can get some monsters out of a 1.5 gallon :)

this is my super lemon haze in less than a gallon potter... 3 quart...8 inch

007-9.jpg

d3cryption

Veteran
thanks man...nutes...directions call for 1 oz per gallon veg and flower fert

I use Greenleaves grow and bloom juice....In veg once every 4 waterings...1 oz per gallon

In flower, I use 1/2 of what the directions call for....but I use the bloom fertilizer everytime I water

I can get some monsters out of a 1.5 gallon :)

this is my super lemon haze in less than a gallon potter... 3 quart...8 inch

View Image

how tall is that plant? this was under mh? I could only imagine what you could do with pure coco, and mh...

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would put up pics of some of my plants but they are over 7 feet tall indoors and I cant fit them in the camera viewer, I tried. lol

Resin production via HPS

Resin production via HPS

picture.php

Bud to leaf ratios in Check

picture.php

And acceptable density and yield homies!

picture.php

d3cryption

Veteran
vapedg: 40 g in a cup!!!!! GOD you're killin it.. all I would run is cups.. I'll have a hella sog...100+ cups in a 3x3 flood and drain.. 12x a day...... lmfao.. good job though..

Cravenmore: coming through with the floopy sour.... no denying the hps doing it's job there, but you also have to admit , rez knocked it out the park with that cross ;)

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^that's fucking sick, most I have hit in a beer cup is about an ounce and I bonsai, and super cropped those in a little cab for like a month to get enough internodes

the gnome

Veteran
vaped... your killin it ma man :good:
your also possibly dispelling a lot of beliefs using $22 mh bulbs instead of HPS
and container size.
I already know you grow nice bigguns in small containers,
Ive done 8footers outdoors in 2 gallon containers
just have to water em 2 twice daily sometimes but it can be done.

for those comparing bulbs using lumens, ft candles and lux
Drshio provided an excellent link, below is a synopsis of the article

Plants "see" light differently than human beings do. As a result, lumens, lux or footcandles should not be used to measure light for plant growth since they are measures used for human visibility. More correct measures for plants are PAR watts, PPF PAR and YPF PAR, although each in itself does not tell the whole story. In addition to quantity of light, considerations of quality are important, since plants use energy in different parts of the spectrum for critical processes.

btw love that pic everytime I see it cravenmore ! :D

Last edited:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Thanks for that information vapedg13. Greenleaves has a good thing going with the color coded pH reading feature of their nutrients. Your system works like a charm because those pictures speak for themselves. 40 grams in a solo cup is a damn good number.

How long of a veg time do you give your plants most of the time? How much do you think you'd yield in a 3 or 5 gallon container?

-Funk