What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

...a similar problems with all my plants. (not for beginners)

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
looking at your roots... your watering too often.. my root look like that when you water more then needed or transplant into too large of an container. need to let it dry out more in veg i know everyone says no... but with years of coco and bad gro after bad gro it took me alot of grow to figure this out... e z to see though lol.. once plant is aquired to pot and requires daily waterings to not dry out THEN you water 2 times a day... but i treat it alot like dirt until my roots fill out...

and to me they look like they are being burned to piss... dont know if it helps but i tried -=P

check your runoff ph and see what it is its probably off causing nute build up and lockout/ over fert....

B

bonecarver_OG

vodnik - yes u got it. coco retains K+Ca+Mg. once there is enough locked into the coco not that mjuch is needed anymore unless you are using RO water constantly. most tapwater in the world has some K+Ca+Mg allready.

coco specific nutrients like canna coco has this in mind. after soon 10 years of using canna coco, i can only recomend it.

peace

BroughtSuperior

Veteran
do you recycle the coco, or his it brand new? i had a similar problem hand im guessing that its was due to not flushing correctly between grows...

whodare

Veteran
Looking at the pics and re reading your posts you said your runoff was at 1400 ppm (maybe you meant 1.4ec) that at most is 2.8ec at least 2.0 ec. That seems fairly hot to me. And I'll reiterate that your k may be a touch high as coco releases k. I've read many people shoot for 3:2:1 k:ca:mg in coco or 2.5:2:1 your ca seems low and could be the cause of your woes... K.ca.mg balance can be tough to manage in coco sometimes...

It really looks like k problems due to lockout I would flush with 1.3 ec solution until your runoff is close to whats going in...

Other than that if it's nothing that people have listed :shrug:

From hydroponics a practical guide for the soilless grower. On potassium deficiency pg 44. All too often a toxicity looks like a deficiency.

potassium deficient plants have reduced turgor wilt very easily and plant growth is slowed the k ion is very mobile in the plant the k is easily transported from older to developing tissue and therefore deficiency symptoms initially developed in the Older leafs. As the severity of the deficiency increases the lower leafs will develop a marginal chlorosis. potassium deficiency symptoms have been described as a leaf scorch where the leave has the appearance of having been burned along its edges for some crops K deficiency will reduce stock strength and the proliferation of roots.

hazy

Veteran
Really!??! Making your own nutes with bags of all the separate elements? I know a lot of giant commercial hydroponic tomato growers do that, but they have scientists to calculate the amounts of each. Did I scan that post too quickly, or are you really doing that?, Nah, No one does that!
Just grab some coco nutes or some GH MaxiBloom or something.

Nifty_PoT

Hazy.. lol many people that dont want to pay ripoff prices for nutes (like me) mix from scratch.. You should read the DIY nutrients thread. You save a shitload of money.

S

SeaMaiden

Ya got that right, Nifty Pot! No reason at ALL to pay for cannabis-specific nutrients when none have been formulated for cannabis.

However, plenty have been formulated for coco coir, and there's a reason for that. As bonecarver points out, it locks onto Ca & Mg, and provides an awful lot of K, which means a coir-balanced product is going to have enough Ca & Mg to lock up all available sites in the coir and provide sufficient available for the plant to take up, while having a reduced level of K.

Vodnik, you said you've been doing it this way for 7 years. If NOTHING has changed, you've really got to look for pests or pathogens in the root zone and plants, and after that, you must double check the source water that you're using to feed & water the plants.

I personally have done enough, though NOT 7 years-worth, growing in coir to know that it's damn near impossible, if not completely impossible, to overwater. At least not with the coir that I've been using. Stuff just drains right through and for my girls, the only way they'd end up overwatered is if they're left sitting in it. Which is something I do on a regular basis, to absolutely no harm whatsoever.

You use the same meter I do, and I'm going to bet that you calibrate it using the same two-point pH calibration I do, and the same EC methods I use. In fact, I'm going to guess that you may also be as anal as I am about making sure the probe is clean and wet at all times, too.

hazy

Veteran
Yeah, i thought about making my own nutes when all i knew about hydroponics was what i learned from a non mj site. Tons of respect from me for those who do it.
I just use maxibloom and sm90.
@ seamaiden~ Sometimes i try to get the water out that runs through. Usually not, and usually i don't even have runoff. i just use pH drops, no meter, so I'll just ignore that you said anal and probe and wet in the same sentence.(beavis and butthead laugh here hehe)

vodnik

SeaMaiden, with my measuring devices everything is good, as I have their two. I sometimes verify data with the companion. If you have HANNA Combo too , you know that it is the reliable and exact device.

I removed already about five plants and looked in each pot. I examined roots and checked coco for presence of wreckers or rotting.
pls, explain in more detail about blocking of elements and that going specifically in my case at your look. antagonist is a phenomenon wherein two or more alements in combination have an overall effect that is less than the sum of their individual effects. in other words, there is a blocking of elements..

WEAKENING OF ASSIMILATION
Specific Antagonists:
POTASSIUM = => BOHR - Unilateral
MAGNESIUM <=> Potassium the Relative!
MOLYBDENUM => Copper, Fe
PHOSPHORUS => ZINCUM, POTASSIUM, COPPER, CALCIUM, Fe
ZINCUM => Fe
BOHR => POTASSIUM
IRON => PHOSPHORUS
NITROGEN => POTASSIUM, COPPER, BOHR
CALCIUM => POTASSIUM, MAGNESIUM, NH4 +
CALCIUM<=> MANGANESE, ZINCUM, BOHR, PHOSPHORUS, Fe

Here is how roots of my plants looked at Veg... 3 or 4 week .

IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

motaloca

Hi vodnik,
I had the same thing going. my plants looked exactly the same, same transition from healthy to death in a couple of days. Nobody could help me. Many people thought it was overfeed but it wasn't.
Was looking for the pics but can't find it.
Nothing helped till I cleaned and disinfected everything.
The problem hasn't showed up since.
peace

Buddler

Veteran
Hi Vodnik, As coco ages it releases K, So if the K is too high to begin with it will lockout Cal mag, About the fourth week in there fore flush with reduced K and upped Cal mag till symptoms correct them selves . Also You didnt mention what type of Coir your using..It looks like sulpher or iron locked out ,unless its cheap n unrinsed salty coir. IMHO :) best of luck B