What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical first attempt

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow, your right those are some bushy clones. What are you gonna use for support when they get taller an wanna lean over?

I haven't decided, I think I am just going to use string and run a network of hooks on the ceiling and LST them around the lights. I really don't want to get into nets and scrogging at this point.

gardenbug

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken hours to pluck the clones out of the rockwool to begin with.

That is what I do. The rockwool is either too dry, or it stays too wet in dwc. I've lost one to stem rot before due to the wet rockwool. I use scissors at first to cut off big chunks and then just run them under a faucet and pick out the smaller pieces of rockwool.

mrktwiz

Aerohed;

How long do you veg your gear for? I am going for about 3-4 weeks or is it strain dependent?

Grow on brother!

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
It is looking great man, nice work.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback....

That is what I do. The rockwool is either too dry, or it stays too wet in dwc. I've lost one to stem rot before due to the wet rockwool. I use scissors at first to cut off big chunks and then just run them under a faucet and pick out the smaller pieces of rockwool.

Thanks for the tip gardenbug, now I know to get rid of the RW right away next time, that stuff cost me a week of growth and lots of guessing.

How long do you veg your gear for? I am going for about 3-4 weeks or is it strain dependent?

It's certainly strain dependant and I have never grown these strains before so I am just guessing about another month of veg.

I want to flip them at around 30" or so, my goal is to have them around 5 feet tall when stretch is over.

So this would make veg 8 weeks total, should have been 6-7 weeks but I was dialing the system in and had some slow growth in the beginning due to ignorance.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
The last 2 days have been very bad news:badday:

Discovered the clones I picked up from the local dispensary have root aphids #$@&*#@! that's lame.

Suddenly, everything makes sense, plant problems with perfect water, never had the misfortune of dealing with these nasty creatures before. So, I spent 6 hours learning and reading about these buggers and it doesn't look good.

I decided something or everything is going to die so I jumped on them with a very agressive plan, nuked the room and broke the system down. I cut them out of their netpots tossed the hydroton and put them in 10" netpots after a serious dunking in poison, good thing I am 90 days from harvest or I couldn't have used such a plan.

So far, there are dead bugs everywhere and the plants (suprisingly) aren't showing much stress at all. I am at my GF's house tonight so I can't post pics but I will post some tomorrow.

whodair

Veteran
set up looks awesome...treat them hard for pests now while still veggin...bet you may also need to step up the fan underneath if it comes in a bigger size...just dial it in homie !!

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
damn that sucks to hear about the aphids...I had them a few months back in coco and treated with some imidacloprid...nasty systematic stuff but one dose knocked em out.

I think I'm basically gonna copy you for my new setup..which will hopefully be running in another week or so.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
set up looks awesome...treat them hard for pests now while still veggin...bet you may also need to step up the fan underneath if it comes in a bigger size...just dial it in homie !!

Thanks bro, the encouragement is much appreciated!!
I am treating them hard, gonna dose them again in 4 days to be sure.

You are right about the fans, I plan to upgrade both of them soon, I figure I have until flower to get better wind in there.

damn that sucks to hear about the aphids...I had them a few months back in coco and treated with some imidacloprid...nasty systematic stuff but one dose knocked em out.

Hey thanks for the post! It is good to know imidacloprid worked for you, that's exactly what I used. Imidacloprid is also known as Merit, I hit it hard with a double dose, dead bugs everywhere and the plants look pretty good.

Here they are after 48 hours from treatment, They were dunked, poisoned, and repotted into 10" pots, they look pretty damn good considering.

And one of the Romberry bushes (slight wilting) but lookin good.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
they do look good :) mine bounced right back after treating them. I used 2ml to the gallon watered thoroughly once and haven't seen em since. I picked it up at homedepot ..not sure which one I used, I think I actually picked one with a lower % . Uhh...did you think it smelled kinda good? I kinda liked it.. :)

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
O and remember to trim the back side of the plants, look like they're big enough to do so, use the cuts for clones would be good too

:):)

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
O and remember to trim the back side of the plants, look like they're big enough to do so, use the cuts for clones would be good too

:):)

Yes, this is where I'm not too sure what to do, no idea how they are going to fill out. I was going to wait longer to trim and LST some of the longer branches on the back side to fill up any holes in the canopy.

I might have the wrong idea here being my first time and all but I want to be sure there aren't any empty spaces so I use the whole bulb.

I am also prepared to extend the drain hoses on the buckets to make the circle of plants bigger, looks like they might crowd the lights by flower time...

I certianly plan to root a few cuts from each girl to mom them incase I really like one or all of these plants.

jebs

looks good DWC is what I use and WOW works great! AK 47 is a great one to start with good luck!

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
looks good DWC is what I use and WOW works great! AK 47 is a great one to start with good luck!

Thanks Jebs, I love DWC it's a great vacation from aero and produces very well.

Speaking of AK 47, I just picked up some very well grown cherry AK and it's delicious. Excellent buzz, starts out heady and giggly, then turns in to a very relaxed chill in an hour or so without putting you to sleep. I would like to try growing some AK 47 some day.

Well veg is boring, grow dammit grow....LOL I am bored so I am going to post a pic of when I repotted the ladies from 6" pots to 10" pots. All I can say is Wow! those 10" pots are huge compared to the 6". The diameter is a given but they are much deeper too and they eat hydroton like a bottomless pit, almost killed a 50L bag for 6 pots.

Check out the fuzzy roots, all that extra hydroton in the big pots should promote lots more of these fuzzy roots.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
looking nice..

I see you're using ngw lids..you're not using the ngw tubing right? I'm using the lids with no problems.

still working on my build..I should probably fire up some plls in the corner while I build and start veggin or somethin though...paint, drywall electricity..ect.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I see you're using ngw lids..you're not using the ngw tubing right?

Not using NGW tubing, it's from a pond supplier, Total Pond I beleive, been using it for years without issues.

Good idea to begin veggin with PL-L's during the build, vegging is boring so a head start would be a great idea... Can't wait to see you run the new setup..

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Time for an update:

I beleive the system is finally dialed in, they are growing rapidly even with the pest killers in the water. They are currently at .5 EC using Lucas with cal mag.

I am very happy with the genetics, these things are bushes, I could be in trouble when they are 5' tall. I know I need to prune them very soon, just coming up with a plan.

CMH lighting is awesome for pics.

Here is a critical mass bush, what a monster!! This pic shows me where I need to prune, look at the dark

This is just a cool pic from a vert eye view

J

Joe Budden

Nice work man, it was a good idea to get rid of the cooltube and put the bulb at the same level as the plants. Which bulb are you using now? What's the distance between the bulb and the canopy?

JB

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Hey JB, thanks, and welcome to the show.

The bulb used right now is a 400w CMH and it's about 14" from the plants, the bulb above is a 600w HPS. I will be turning the HPS on soon and burning them both through the whole grow.