Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Seed Boutique > Skunkman stock

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Real Gorilla Seeds
Post Reply
Skunkman stock Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 PM #131
Elmer Bud
Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore

Elmer Bud's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sth Pacific
Posts: 3,117
Elmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
People experiencing very low germination rates and these seed are likely a factor of the storage conditions at the retailer - we just stocked 6-7 lines from Sam and they are all germinating @ 95%+ except for the THUNK which germinated @ 75% (and are priced accordingly @ $35 for 20 seeds).

They are all available under the Cultivator's Choice brand at our new retail location.

G `day Chimera

Would you mind taking a minute to describe your germing process please ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
__________________
Such is life ...
Elmer Bud is offline Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 PM #132
judge-penitent
Newbie

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
judge-penitent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day Chimera

Would you mind taking a minute to describe your germing process please ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
This! Running out of seeds here, only 100 or so left and 0% germ rate so far..
judge-penitent is offline Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 PM #133
Kalbhairav
~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~

Kalbhairav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,152
Kalbhairav has disabled reputation
The full instructions that Chimera gave for popping old seed is somewhere in his forum. I remember the post well because it crops up sometimes. It may even be in the archive thread, not sure. I keep meaning to grab it and put it in there..

He has told me personally that very good success can be had by using a weak bleach solution.
Soak for 24 hours and then leave between paper towels in solution; be sure to swap out the old paper towels with new bleach solution every couple of days. This stops mould growing on the seed casing.
Unfortunately I can't remember the exact ratios for the solution.

For the longer, super detailed version, have a look in his forum - it's in there somewhere.
__________________
Kalbhairav is offline Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 PM #134
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Grassachusetts
Posts: 1,607
AgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbhairav View Post
The full instructions that Chimera gave for popping old seed is somewhere in his forum. I remember the post well because it crops up sometimes. It may even be in the archive thread, not sure. I keep meaning to grab it and put it in there..

He has told me personally that very good success can be had by using a weak bleach solution.
Soak for 24 hours and then leave between paper towels in solution; be sure to swap out the old paper towels with new bleach solution every couple of days. This stops mould growing on the seed casing.
Unfortunately I can't remember the exact ratios for the solution.

For the longer, super detailed version, have a look in his forum - it's in there somewhere.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...7&postcount=10
I'm not sure it's changed in 7 years but that's his suggestion in 2011.
__________________
You may not vote on any more threads today.
Don't sweat the technique.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study The Propagation And Breeding Of Distinctive Cannabis By Robert Connell Clarke-->https://archive.org/details/Marijuan...nctiveCannabis
AgentPothead is online now Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:12 AM #135
englishrick
Plumber/Builder


englishrick's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: B&Q
Posts: 6,976
englishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud of
Il be using tissue culture tek on old seeds and I'm attempting to do this too

The tissue sample is trimmed and goes through a crucial sterilization process. Once cleaned, the plant tissue goes in a dense nutrient culture which is typically an agar gel containing a carefully crafted nutrient, hormone and sugar mixture. The tissue culture controls the sample. Different hormone mixtures will trigger various stages of development for the tiny culture.

The culture can technically remain in a period of indefinite purgatory, until a time when the grower wishes to work with the sample again. Through the introduction of new hormones and nutrient-rich growing solutions, a cultivator can trigger growth, root development, and multiplication. When the plant is large enough to multiply, it is ready to be trimmed into literally hundreds of separate yet precisely cloned individuals.

These hundreds of samples follow a similar course until they are large enough to enter into a phase of hardening off and ready for planting. From one small tissue sample, a well-organized cultivator can potentially create hundreds of perfect clones, without any contamination from the mother.

https://www.professionalmarijuanagro...ulture-clones/

https://www.cannabistech.com/article...e-culture-101/

https://www.alphalabs.co.uk/research...lture-products

https://www.camlab.co.uk/tissue-culture-c2784.aspx
__________________
i.c.mag saved my life
englishrick is offline Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 AM #136
Badfishy1
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,340
Badfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud of
Reiko has a thread where he grew out old stock. Unfortunately it turned into a dick measuring contest and was closed
Badfishy1 is online now Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:41 AM #137
Elmer Bud
Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore

Elmer Bud's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sth Pacific
Posts: 3,117
Elmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrick View Post
Il be using tissue culture tek on old seeds and I'm attempting to do this too

The tissue sample is trimmed and goes through a crucial sterilization process. Once cleaned, the plant tissue goes in a dense nutrient culture which is typically an agar gel containing a carefully crafted nutrient, hormone and sugar mixture. The tissue culture controls the sample. Different hormone mixtures will trigger various stages of development for the tiny culture.

The culture can technically remain in a period of indefinite purgatory, until a time when the grower wishes to work with the sample again. Through the introduction of new hormones and nutrient-rich growing solutions, a cultivator can trigger growth, root development, and multiplication. When the plant is large enough to multiply, it is ready to be trimmed into literally hundreds of separate yet precisely cloned individuals.

These hundreds of samples follow a similar course until they are large enough to enter into a phase of hardening off and ready for planting. From one small tissue sample, a well-organized cultivator can potentially create hundreds of perfect clones, without any contamination from the mother.

https://www.professionalmarijuanagro...ulture-clones/

https://www.cannabistech.com/article...e-culture-101/

https://www.alphalabs.co.uk/research...lture-products

https://www.camlab.co.uk/tissue-culture-c2784.aspx

G `day Rick

You are over looking the most crucial process ; sterilisation .

That takes skill and experience . Not to mention specialized equipment ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .
__________________
Such is life ...
Elmer Bud is offline Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:18 AM #138
Badfishy1
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,340
Badfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud ofBadfishy1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day Rick

You are over looking the most crucial process ; sterilisation .

That takes skill and experience . Not to mention specialized equipment ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .
I have a decent amount of experience flasking orchids which is similar to tissue culture. The one reason everybody said I couldn’t do it was because I didn’t have a ‘sterile lab’. I made one out of a fish tank, piece of plexi glass, and elbow length gloves with no contamination issues. Would it pass three letter agency inspection? Probably not, however it worked well enough.
Badfishy1 is online now Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:10 PM #139
Kalbhairav
~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~

Kalbhairav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,152
Kalbhairav has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentPothead View Post
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...7&postcount=10
I'm not sure it's changed in 7 years but that's his suggestion in 2011.
Nah, that's not it..
Let me have a good look later..
Kalbhairav is offline Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 PM #140
Kalbhairav
~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~

Kalbhairav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,152
Kalbhairav has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfishy1 View Post
Reiko has a thread where he grew out old stock. Unfortunately it turned into a dick measuring contest and was closed
Good call! In fact Reiko had quoted the exact post I was thinking of! Here it is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
The protocol I use is pretty simple.

5% bleach in autoclaved, distilled water with a couple of drops of Tween-20 per liter of solution. I sterilize the water in Duran jars (loose lids) in a pressure cooker @ 20 PSI for 20 minutes, and then allow the jars to cool under my flow hood and tighten the lids when the water has cooled. This is probably overkill for most purposes, but it's a variation of the protocol I use for sterilizing explants for tissue culture, and it seems to work with minimal contamination. You can get away with a drop of dish detergent instead of the Tween, I just have the tween-20 in the lab so I use it. If you are going to be doing a lot, you can order a few ml of Tween-20 on Amazon if you like.

First I rinse the seeds in a tight mesh strainer to remove any leaf debris that might be harboring bacteria or spores. These seeds were a little dirtier than most having been field grown, so you definitely want to wash away any superfluous materials. This can be up to a 5 minute rinse in lukewarm water. Cannabis achenes have a lot of little crevices where spores and bacteria can hide, so a thorough rinse is a wise step.

Then I take the seeds and drop them in maybe 100-200 mls of the bleach/Tween-20 solution in an Erlenmeyer flask, but any clean glass vessel will do -the seeds should be fully immersed, maybe 2x the volume of water as seed. You want to keep stirring and swishing the seeds around gently to ensure the current is washing away any contaminants. After a minute of swishing I remove the bleach and strain the seeds from the liquid and start again. No more than 3 minutes total, and if I see bleaching on the small test batch (always do a test batch to seed how the seeds react), sometimes I'll only do 2 minutes.

The next part is key. Immediately rinse 3-5 times (for 5 minutes per rinse) in the same sterilized distilled water (baby water / distilled water from Walmart or the local pharmacy is fine), again using a tight mesh strainer, or simply rinse the seeds in a different vessel with the same volume of water, at least 3 times to ensure the bleach is removed. I use a labratory orbita shaker, but you can do it by hand it's just a little tedious. Once the rinses are completed, soak the seeds in the distilled water as before, for 2-24 hours depending on the age of the seed and the medium you will be growing in. Sometimes I'll use agar plates, but most often I'll just sprout them in paper towels and transfer to a light dirt (like Light Warrior for you Americans) or surface sow on a .peat based planting substrate. You can use whatever medium you prefer, it's not that big of a deal as long as the seeds remain moist.
I'll put this in the archive thread too ...
__________________
Kalbhairav is offline Quote

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:46 AM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.