What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation : How much heat and time ?

olekingkole

Takes too long to warm up the oven to 290. Besides at 200 you don't have to be fussy about pulling it out at the exact right time. Be sure to have a good oven thermometer, cause ovens can be way off. Bottom line, 1 hour 45 minutes at 200.

I store my oil short term (2-3 months) in the fridge, long term in the freezer. I do a water treatment on the oil after I make it and I've read the added moisture can cause mold, but I've never seen it on my oil. I separate the water off pretty good though.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
i have what might be a strange question. but i figure i'm not the only one around here that is stoned so here goes

wouldn't the temperature of the product be what matters?

paying attention to time and temperature of the oven makes perfect sense IF the product and the container are always the same. but if you have double/half the amount of product and/or a thicker/thinner container it's not going to heat up at the same rate right? i'm also in the mile high city where water boils and things bake differently. would elevation make much difference in the decarb process as far as time and temp?

anyone ever shoot one of those laser thermometers at the product to find out what the actual temps are? i know brownies never get close to 350 even though they are in the oven for 45 minutes and the size an shape of the pan makes a difference in bake time. wouldn't some of those variables change the decarb process too?

Betterhaff

Veteran
^^Along those lines^^

I make baked goods with cannabutter these days so things are decarbed before the actual baking process. But in the old days we used to make brownies by just adding ground buds to the mix and bake according to the package instructions. Usually it was something like 40 minutes at 350*F, I can’t remember exactly. So the batter went in at room temp and came out 40 minutes later so the temps the buds received were not on the high side for very long. And the brownies were always very potent. Any thoughts on this.

DoDad

Takes too long to warm up the oven to 290. Besides at 200 you don't have to be fussy about pulling it out at the exact right time. Be sure to have a good oven thermometer, cause ovens can be way off. Bottom line, 1 hour 45 minutes at 200.

I guess my response would be that I don't care how long it takes to decarb as longs as I still get high and don't loose any medicinal benefit.

Donn

wouldn't the temperature of the product be what matters?
Yes.

paying attention to time and temperature of the oven makes perfect sense IF the product and the container are always the same. but if you have double/half the amount of product and/or a thicker/thinner container it's not going to heat up at the same rate right?
Right.
i'm also in the mile high city where water boils and things bake differently. would elevation make much difference in the decarb process as far as time and temp?
No. Boiling is a phase conversion kind of thing, where pressure is a factor. Should not be a factor with decarboxylation in dry material, it seems to me anyway.

anyone ever shoot one of those laser thermometers at the product to find out what the actual temps are? i know brownies never get close to 350 even though they are in the oven for 45 minutes and the size an shape of the pan makes a difference in bake time. wouldn't some of those variables change the decarb process too?
Sure, shape of container could matter.

Donn

If you look at the graph on the previous post you'll see a long, slow heating at 205-201F is just about the perfect temp to get good decarboxylation without decomposing the THC to CBN.

Here's the graph I look at:
decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

To my eye, that's telling me that at 252°F for 27 minutes I'm going to get about twice as much THC, compared to what happens at 201°F for however long. It doesn't say what happens to the rest of the THCA, I guess CBN. (Why not 7 minutes at 293°F? Marginally better, but longer at slightly lower temperature means I worry less that I'll pull it before it's hot enough.)

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The graphs were posted to give a general idea of what happens and were never meant to be taken literally. Each of the experiments in that graph represents the extract of no more than 20 milligrams of pot. Vaporization was responsible for loss of THC at the higher temperatures.

iversonpi

Hi,

Well I´m very very confused because i can´t do a lab test of my oils and i don´t really know how to make the cannabis with the max potency.

I´m battling a Hodgin lymphoma and one of my best weapons is the cannabis oil and i have to make it from buds.

I have made differents batches witch no clear conclusions because of lack of lab tests, and as i use to the cannabis effects maybe i think it´s very weak ....

I wonder what do you think about dry the weed in the oven with 105 C or 221 F in a pyrex for 15 minutes (no covered)

Let to freeze it and up the oven to 120 C or 250 F and is covered with aluminum foil to put in the oven about 30 minutes.

After, make a quick wash (another question is if it should be better to soak the buds with the alcohol to extract more things for the plant ....) and after filter with coffee filters evaporate very slowly the alcohol ... (maybe around 50 C or 122)

Could you help me please? it´s very important fo fix this for my finances and health.

Have a very good day
Blessings

DoDad

Hi,

Well I´m very very confused because i can´t do a lab test of my oils and i don´t really know how to make the cannabis with the max potency.

I´m battling a Hodgin lymphoma and one of my best weapons is the cannabis oil and i have to make it from buds.

I have made differents batches witch no clear conclusions because of lack of lab tests, and as i use to the cannabis effects maybe i think it´s very weak ....

I wonder what do you think about dry the weed in the oven with 105 C or 221 F in a pyrex for 15 minutes (no covered)

Let to freeze it and up the oven to 120 C or 250 F and is covered with aluminum foil to put in the oven about 30 minutes.

After, make a quick wash (another question is if it should be better to soak the buds with the alcohol to extract more things for the plant ....) and after filter with coffee filters evaporate very slowly the alcohol ... (maybe around 50 C or 122)

Could you help me please? it´s very important fo fix this for my finances and health.

Have a very good day
Blessings

I would place your herb in an oven safe dish, cover tight with foil. Place in a 240*F preheated oven for 60 minutes. Remove from oven, leave the foil on and let cool.

Then do your wash or you can eat it just like it is. I put mine in oatmeal or peanut butter sandwiches or mac and cheese, make a salad and add it, or whatever.

1 tsp of decarbed weed, does a body and a mind real good. I use the leaves I grow and keep the buds for vaping.

As you are ill. I highly recommend a vape. The absorption rates are better than smoking it.

Good Luck!

jumpmyway

Boiling extraction

Boiling extraction

I have been using a water butter and fresh picked scrap all of the leaves, no bud. This was frozen within 2 hours of harvest, then 1 pound of fresh wet leaves (frozen) add to boiling water mix well then add 1 pound of butter. This produced budder that tested at 8.9 mg per 1Gram of budder.

? where was the decarb taking place at 212 degrees.

8.9 mg thc9
.1 mg thca

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I have been using a water butter and fresh picked scrap all of the leaves, no bud. This was frozen within 2 hours of harvest, then 1 pound of fresh wet leaves (frozen) add to boiling water mix well then add 1 pound of butter. This produced budder that tested at 8.9 mg per 1Gram of budder.

? where was the decarb taking place at 212 degrees.

8.9 mg thc9
.1 mg thca
So you know for a fact (through testing) that butter can hold about 9mg of thc per gram of butter?

What was your process after extraction?

Mintplantae

I do this by setting the oven at 225f and heating for 30 minutes.
I am thinking that the lower the temperature the better the process is but the longer it would take, I would prefer to do it at no more than 115f but never tried. You can make an olive oil infusion by leaving matter in a (sterile) jar of olive oil and placing it in sunlight, for up to 6 months. That would be nice I guess. but anyway, When i am making coconut oil extract I do it the 225f pre-decarb and coconut oil takes 4 hours and I feel i get good results, seems to pull a lot of nice cannabinoids, certainly THC.

Mintplantae

sorry it looks like the info i put has already been said.
also, that link above is the guide that I read and basically used as a guide line and i think its the best we can do at present, if wanting to decarb in the oven. it's amazing how it can work in just a few hours. I wrap the chopped bud - leaf - stem in a layer of foil or baking sheet on a baking tray in the centre of the oven. I have only done this with dried plant, not wet. Interesting thread and replies :)
peace.
peace

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Has anyone tried vacuum sealing and preassure cooking for decarb?
Never had to do because i like to slow dry and wait min. 1 month befor smoking my herb but i was thinking if this would work. Maybe better working with solid stuff like hash or bho.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I would be leery of pressure cooking buds sealed in plastic vacuum bags, because the high temperatures might result in chemicals from the plastic infusing the bud, with unknown effects on the health of those who later consume the contents of the bags.

Latest posts

Latest posts