What's new

Making a stronger solution

Predjee

Can i use the QWET method, put the solvent/solution trough a filter, and then re-use it on the next batch of dry herbs to make a stronger solution? Or does it not work this way?

corky1968

Veteran
If you distill away your solvent the remaining product should be stronger.

For example: if you have 500 mL of ethanol with a 25% THC level and you distill away 250 mL of ethanol.

Your remaining 250 mL solution should have a 50% THC level assuming none as been degraded.

In distilling your solvent you are in fact purifying it. Thus you can use it again and again.

Hope this helps.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can i use the QWET method, put the solvent/solution trough a filter, and then re-use it on the next batch of dry herbs to make a stronger solution? Or does it not work this way?

Yes you could, or you could evaporate away some of the alcohol to make a stronger solution.

A partially saturated solvent, doesn't extract as effectively as fresh solvent, so you can bump it up some with fresh material, but typically not a lot, unless the original material is bunk.

Predjee

What i mean is, before i do the proces of vaping.

So i have a jar with IPA and in the IPA i have THC solved.

Can i take new fresh material, and use the ipa in wich i have THC solved, to make another extraction of the fresh material and thus make a stronger solution?

Predjee

Sorry, i already posted my question, then re-read your answers a couple of times, and i think i get it ;-)

But what i dont get is this.

You guys say: you could evaporate away some of the alcohol to make a stronger solution.

But you always need to vape aways the solvent in order to create oil correct?

So lets say, i have 1 liter of IPA and in it is an extraction done via QWET. What in general would be my % of THC?

And what would i benefit for example, if i would only vape away 50% of the solvent?

I still remain with a 50% solution i cant use right? So why would i want to do that?

MrBungle

Double extracting is not going to improve what you have already extracted.... It's just going to be a blend with probably a lot of waste... Evaporate the solvent that you already extracted with, and extract with fresh solvent for the new material...

If you want to combine both solutions after extraction and evaporate it all at the same time you probably won't have as much waste, but it will all be blended together

corky1968

Veteran
If you kept distilling your solvent. Eventually you would end up with the cannabis oil you seek.

The idea is to use the lowest temperature possible and not damage the product.

Using vacuum distillation would be the best solution for doing such a thing.

Predjee

Yes i understand.

But i see people in my country who produce oil, present test result.

All have different amounts of THC.

So how would i make a solution with 30% THC, or 20% of 40%

I guess it all start with the extraction rite? And the herbs ofcourse.

So i understand that on the cola's you find the most THC. Then comes the waste.

But lets say for example (just total random numbers) 1kg of cola's give as much THC as 10KG of plant waste. Only, since the cola's contain more THC, you could say the cola's are more concentrated rite?

The plant waste on the other hand, has as much THC as the cola's, only more spread of material.

I personnaly, have 3 KG's of plant waste at the moment.

How do i turn this into 1 super concentrated oil?

PDX Dopesmoker

3kg of plant waste will absorb about 3 liters of solvent before it returns any to you. If you have more than 5 liters of high proof alcohol you might be able to squeeze some oil out of your stuff though. 10 liters is even better
What kind of plant waste do you have? Does it have a lot of trichomes (crystals) on it or is it mainly large leaves?

Predjee

3kg of plant waste will absorb about 3 liters of solvent before it returns any to you. If you have more than 5 liters of high proof alcohol you might be able to squeeze some oil out of your stuff though. 10 liters is even better
What kind of plant waste do you have? Does it have a lot of trichomes (crystals) on it or is it mainly large leaves?

I have only used up maybe 1 fourth and i have already used 20 liters of IPA

:eek: :eek: :eek: In total i have produced arround 100ml of oil atm.

blastfrompast

Veteran
if you want to save $$ on iso....

instead of cooking it off, distill it off and capture your iso and re-use...

Option #2 would be to sift the material if it is good enough, then extract the sift....