What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

Harpua

One big thing that's changed that makes it hard to compare then to now......is us. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not the same, my brain is not the same, in my 50s as in my teens and 20s. My tolerance has changed too. And it's not just with weed. "Things were better in the old days" is something that can apply to lots of things. There's objective and subjective, and quite often we mix them together.

enter sandman

Dude......like, yes. 5 fat joints from a nickle, dimes even more.....lots of seeds and stems but it wasn't schwag, it was just mostly brownish, some buds, a little dark green too....Monopoly board and Bambu papers to work with it. Or, those metal pipes that were like 11 pieces.....and MTV. When it just started...

It wasn't schwag to me either. I should have clarified that better. You will find that in most cannabis connoisseur or weed lover communities in today's era many will call it schwag if the pot you buy has seeds, has been pressed, etc - even if the weed itself is very good in the psychoactive sense. They will even take offence at me still calling it "good" because to them how can it be good if it doesn't have the best aesthetics, has seeds & has been pressed & handled roughly. To them it's low grade just because of the appearance.

You probably understand this as well.

Schwag meaning low grade marijuana. Simply for not being sinsemilla (without seeds), not coming in perfect little frosted nugs and having a very apparent strong Indica aroma...then it is schwag. We didn't call it schwag back then but many do this today. Quite a many very potent 100% pure Sativa varieties simply don't have that eye candy appeal that Indica has even when grown & handled under optimal conditions & sadly much of what you see on these sites being presented as pure Sativa is not...it has been crossed somewhere down the line with Indica out of simple curiosity, more yield, shorter flowering time & aesthetics (bag appeal).

Now if what you buy looks ungodly, has seeds AND barely gets you high - then it would actually deserve to be called schwag. I've gotten this in the far past. Horrendous shit & sometimes would even give me a headache.

Last edited:

enter sandman

One big thing that's changed that makes it hard to compare then to now......is us. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not the same, my brain is not the same, in my 50s as in my teens and 20s. My tolerance has changed too. And it's not just with weed. "Things were better in the old days" is something that can apply to lots of things. There's objective and subjective, and quite often we mix them together.
Very much true. I'm older than most assume & people often paint the past in brighter colors and look thru rose tinted glasses. I understand what you say. My mind has changed also. But every now & then I will obtain some $30 quarter bag or dime that has the seeds & stems just out of curiosity and it will sometimes be very good...just like it was in the past. This is actually how I hunt for new things to grow sometimes.

Many are even not affected by cannabis the way they were when they were younger. Biology & chemistry. And the mind. Our minds accrue & build up with things over time. Our minds are not as clear & fresh as they once were.

Harpua

It wasn't schwag to me either. I should have clarified that better. You will find that in most cannabis connoisseur or weed lover communities in today's era many will call it schwag if the pot you buy has seeds, has been pressed, etc - even if the weed itself is very good in the psychoactive sense. They will even take offence at me still calling it "good" because to them how can it be good if it doesn't have the best aesthetics, has seeds & has been pressed & handled roughly. To them it's low grade just because of the appearance.

You probably understand this as well.

Schwag meaning low grade marijuana. Simply for not being sinsemilla (without seeds), not coming in perfect little frosted nugs and having a very apparent strong Indica aroma...then it is schwag. We didn't call it schwag back then but many do this today. Quite a many very potent 100% pure Sativa varieties simply don't have that eye candy appeal that Indica has even when grown & handled under optimal conditions & sadly much of what you see on these sites being presented as pure Sativa is not...it has been crossed somewhere down the line with Indica out of simple curiosity, more yield, shorter flowering time & aesthetics (bag appeal).

Now if what you buy looks ungodly, has seeds AND barely gets you high - then it would actually deserve to be called schwag. I've gotten this in the far past. Horrendous shit & sometimes would even give me a headache.
Yeah, you know.........and of course there's genetics, and then there's how it's done. Back when tons came in, mostly from Mexico, the stuff that would make all the nickle and dime bags.......the curing was poor, it was stored poorly, probably in excessive heat, the transportation degraded it......

Then there was the stuff that was bought by the ounce. Before I got into it, my mom and her friends were getting the better stuff. This was in the 70s. I was just a kid but I remember it, I was observant..... just because it had seeds and wasn't bright green/fresh didn't mean it wasn't good. These were such transitional times......

Harpua

Very much true. I'm older than most assume & people often paint the past in brighter colors and look thru rose tinted glasses. I understand what you say. My mind has changed also. But every now & then I will obtain some $30 quarter bag or dime that has the seeds & stems just out of curiosity and it will sometimes be very good...just like it was in the past. This is actually how I hunt for new things to grow sometimes.

Many are even not affected by cannabis the way they were when they were younger. Biology & chemistry. And the mind. Our minds accrue & build up with things over time. Our minds are not as clear & fresh as they once were.
It's like that with music too........I'm a Grateful Dead Head (and a huge Phish head). There's a perpetual thing about "when they were better".

I don't know where you're from, I can only speak of my areas (New York City, and up north NY). I don't think I could find seeded weed if I tried. Even what's called "mids" is all green, has all the different names. It seems like there's "good", then all levels up from there.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

absolutely right psychological observation.

Plookerkingjon

I get kind of tangential when I go online and I mean I get it my species have some very interesting personalities where some are punctuation police, some morality police, and some are just straight f****** wackadoos but you'll be I'll be the last person to be sitting there pointing their finger at folks like that that being said one thing that stands out to me nowadays especially sort of reminiscing type situation going on here, I think from the time that I was in the 9th grade in high school up until I was about 20 years old we used to get all sorts of bricks from Rhode Island up into Northern New England like late '90s I mean late 70s early '80s up until like 85-86ish and the cool thing about those bricks was I mean I knew they came from down south I don't know where yes they had seed in them but the seeds were just a gift because a lot of us were bored back then it would just throw them in our parents backyard to see if anything would take but anyone that's had the bricks like we used to get can tell you that by the time you get to the middle of that brick it had been cured or whatever was going on in the middle of that brick and I'll tell you what it was a lot more potent than what you were getting on the end of it my Lord. So I'd say anything with a decent scent profile to it that had bigger seeds that were either jet black or had tiger stripes on them you usually couldn't go wrong and by the time you got to the middle of the brick when you were sharing it if you gave it to somebody who had had the outside of it they thought it would different pot altogether because of the potency change it's pretty cool

enter sandman

It's like that with music too........I'm a Grateful Dead Head (and a huge Phish head). There's a perpetual thing about "when they were better".

I don't know where you're from, I can only speak of my areas (New York City, and up north NY). I don't think I could find seeded weed if I tried. Even what's called "mids" is all green, has all the different names. It seems like there's "good", then all levels up from there.
Love The Grateful Dead also...of course! And Phish. Going to post a music vid now that I'm in the mood...

Harpua

I get kind of tangential when I go online and I mean I get it my species have some very interesting personalities where some are punctuation police, some morality police, and some are just straight f****** wackadoos but you'll be I'll be the last person to be sitting there pointing their finger at folks like that that being said one thing that stands out to me nowadays especially sort of reminiscing type situation going on here, I think from the time that I was in the 9th grade in high school up until I was about 20 years old we used to get all sorts of bricks from Rhode Island up into Northern New England like late '90s I mean late 70s early '80s up until like 85-86ish and the cool thing about those bricks was I mean I knew they came from down south I don't know where yes they had seed in them but the seeds were just a gift because a lot of us were bored back then it would just throw them in our parents backyard to see if anything would take but anyone that's had the bricks like we used to get can tell you that by the time you get to the middle of that brick it had been cured or whatever was going on in the middle of that brick and I'll tell you what it was a lot more potent than what you were getting on the end of it my Lord. So I'd say anything with a decent scent profile to it that had bigger seeds that were either jet black or had tiger stripes on them you usually couldn't go wrong and by the time you got to the middle of the brick when you were sharing it if you gave it to somebody who had had the outside of it they thought it would different pot altogether because of the potency change it's pretty cool
Back in the 80s'90s there was this mid-grade, green, pressed into bricks.......whether it came from some huge area down south, or Mexico, it was definitely mass produced. We would get the same stuff over and over. It was post-brown seeded/stemmy stuff, and there was top tier stuff, but this was the reliable "mids"....

romanoweed

There's objective and subjective, and quite often we mix them together.
well, i have prooven to myselve that i dont mix anything together. I found great things, i would say, that your thoughtconstruct is a good critique, but almost missleading.
WHY?
Because, POT can actually change..
HOW?
Thats a thing that Science can only approximatly describe: Inbreeding depressino, acclimatisation to foreign climate.

There is also the change or shift at homecountys from HIGHEST CLASS LAndraces to (can i be honest?) LOW CLASS LANDRACES.. More often than not, the todays Landraces found at Origin are nothing worth wmoking.

This creates the problem that people think they smoked a Landrace, but they smoked a uncomparable version to actuall Landraces.

I get relatively close to the same effects that i had, and i still hate strong hybridisation..
The only thing that changed is that i dont smoke hybrid nomore, because its so tirening to get an effect that is so unsuited to me for the 100000000s time. So, yes, the old Landraces are absolutely incredible..

Its really unbelevable people try to tell me hallucinations i had were just wrong memories.. when i had them , i emideatly though strategical: when will i get this bud again, how will i get it again, will i get it again..

Its a conscious thing. no wrong memory. its fact, are you shure you wanna tell me i created memories so wrong, that i created a "mindblowing lifechanging experience" out of nothing?

So, yeah, the moment i hallucinated on weed, i wanted this bud again, and it was always the thin bud that did that, and i already felt , that it might be hard to find this ever again..

i also lifed trough different political States, i experienced legality in Switzerland, and the quality was so unbelevable good, compared to what i so hear and feel from other places.. as it was illegalized qulity sunk to zero. So, i experienced "different effects". I can verify certain nuances, and i think to specualte that its kinda foogy memory, is a critique, but nothing more..
Infact Genetics are changing in a very "foggy" way, hard to detect or describe for the scientists, and its rather a problem, if yomebody writes all the reports of the 70s off as "musta be the brainfogg", and its rather interesting to define what was the formula for good 70s weed. why was it so good, was it the lack of inbreeding depression, the lack of acclimatisation to multiple decades of beeing reproduced in foreign climate, and the anwser might be YES.
(Or alternatively the question, are the Landraces at Origin, wich i call modern LAndraces worse than like i described the Strains inbreed for multiple generations in American Indoorgrows, and the anwser might be YES, they Landraces at origin worse)

romanoweed

Whats crazy that we discuss this, while there is not even a single representative of real deal tripweed cursating. none. (Atleast acording my reserache)

There are almost zero 70s SE Asians , like per Ex. Thais, just one Link from me, thats it. (probably one from snowhigh, and people dont even buy it, even i hold the link straight in their face.. they dont care.= (well my thai in the link isnt the best ever, but still... crazy)

Crazy how we discuss things, that most probably we dont even own and grow at all..
We talk instead of growng it, and then deciding if its actually the same..

Crazy..

So in that regard the critique you brought is like thinking soo far, that its weird.. Why not smoke first generation tripweed.. well, because many dont have tripweed first generation seeds.. sad..

romanoweed

On a positive note, my faforite was what i think was Vietnamese Weed. Its the strongest drug on earth i guess, i mean same strong as the others.. it induces the highest states ,
i didnt find that out, and the few others who tell the same story as i, possibly did neither, veeery funny coexidence such reports stemm always from the same region, funny huh, haha

Harpua

well, i have prooven to myselve that i dont mix anything together. I found great things, i would say, that your thoughtconstruct is a good critique, but almost missleading.
WHY?
Because, POT can actually change..
HOW?
Thats a thing that Science can only approximatly describe: Inbreeding depressino, acclimatisation to foreign climate.

There is also the change or shift at homecountys from HIGHEST CLASS LAndraces to (can i be honest?) LOW CLASS LANDRACES.. More often than not, the todays Landraces found at Origin are nothing worth wmoking.

This creates the problem that people think they smoked a Landrace, but they smoked a uncomparable version to actuall Landraces.

I get relatively close to the same effects that i had, and i still hate strong hybridisation..
The only thing that changed is that i dont smoke hybrid nomore, because its so tirening to get an effect that is so unsuited to me for the 100000000s time. So, yes, the old Landraces are absolutely incredible..

Its really unbelevable people try to tell me hallucinations i had were just wrong memories.. when i had them , i emideatly though strategical: when will i get this bud again, how will i get it again, will i get it again..

Its a conscious thing. no wrong memory. its fact, are you shure you wanna tell me i created memories so wrong, that i created a "mindblowing lifechanging experience" out of nothing?

So, yeah, the moment i hallucinated on weed, i wanted this bud again, and it was always the thin bud that did that, and i already felt , that it might be hard to find this ever again..

i also lifed trough different political States, i experienced legality in Switzerland, and the quality was so unbelevable good, compared to what i so hear and feel from other places.. as it was illegalized qulity sunk to zero. So, i experienced "different effects". I can verify certain nuances, and i think to specualte that its kinda foogy memory, is a critique, but nothing more..
Infact Genetics are changing in a very "foggy" way, hard to detect or describe for the scientists, and its rather a problem, if yomebody writes all the reports of the 70s off as "musta be the brainfogg", and its rather interesting to define what was the formula for good 70s weed. why was it so good, was it the lack of inbreeding depression, the lack of acclimatisation to multiple decades of beeing reproduced in foreign climate, and the anwser might be YES.
(Or alternatively the question, are the Landraces at Origin, wich i call modern LAndraces worse than like i described the Strains inbreed for multiple generations in American Indoorgrows, and the anwser might be YES, they Landraces at origin worse)
That's.......a lot to unpack....

I think I was commenting on human nature in general and not your experiences... ;)

Harpua

On a positive note, my faforite was what i think was Vietnamese Weed. Its the strongest drug on earth i guess, i mean same strong as the others.. it induces the highest states ,
i didnt find that out, and the few others who tell the same story as i, possibly did neither, veeery funny coexidence such reports stemm always from the same region, funny huh, haha
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but I once, and only once, got Panama Red. Got it on the Staten Island Ferry back in 1985, when the downstairs level was a thick cloud party.......before the raids hit. It didn't look particularly great, but it had a dark reddish color, and man was it potent.

I also had a very deep, spicey thai......maybe 1984, that was soaring and trippy.

Harpua

For fun.....

Attachments

• 20230111_130256.jpg
    20230111_130256.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20230111_130530.jpg
    20230111_130530.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230111_130655.jpg
    20230111_130655.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74

St. Phatty

I'm smoking 1 year old Ganja, and it is good.

1 cookies, 1 Blueberry Headband, and one Romberry.

I usually smoke in this order -
Cookies
Blue HB
Romberry
Cookies
Blue HB.

On a normal day, I only smoke about 5 mini-bowls, where each bowl is one inhale.