What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ex Cigarette Smokers

Green Squall

How are you lungs 10+ years later? I've introduced pot to my dad and he's been enjoying the hell out of it for a while now, but it seems like his lungs just can't take the smoke. He claims to have smoked a pack a day for around 40 years and luckily now has a clean bill of health.

Do the lungs heal or are they left with irreversible damage?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Depends on his age. Youth heals and recovers way better than old age. LOL

I smoked 2 packs a day forever. And, 10 to 20 joints a day.

Now, I am cigarette free almost 1 year and for about the last 6 months I vape 90% of my pot and... OMG, I can breath again. LOL

And, I am 65

I smoked for 20 years but finally quit about 10 years ago. It took me 3 years of quitting and starting to finally quit for the last time.

My lungs are much much better now. After I quit cigarettes I was still bonging two foot tubes and when I'd lay down to bed at night I could still hear that raspy wheezing just as if I was still smoking cigarettes too. So I got a Silver Surfer vaporizer and no longer inhale smoke of any kind.Now there's no more wheezing, no more raspy.

Now I laugh at friends who smoke cigarettes but cough like crazy from vape and can't even take a good hit.:biglaugh:

WelderDan

Veteran
I started smoking at 12. Smoked until I was 25. 2 packs a day for at least half that time. I quit in 1987, so I've been off tobacco for almost 30 years, though the first few years I had one here and there, mostly when drinking.

I had to quit due to spontaneous Pneumothorax (collapsed lung). After two, they removed a section of lung. I couldn't continue cigs and weed, so the cigs went bye bye. Been smoking weed since I got out of the hospital. At one point, an oz a week of my own quality buds. I'm a fairly regular smoker, just not as heavy.

No issues. My lung function is good, heartbeat is 65 at rest.

So yeah, quit early enough and young enough and your lungs will recover.

herbgreen

Veteran
Good studies out there suggest filtration is a factor

joints filter as good as bong or better

"a joint has a better tar to cannabinoid ratio than anything else"

https://www.quora.com/At-which-point-bongs-remove-bad-stuff-in-the-smoke-from-weed

Alot of resin and heavy tars in cannabis..... joints and vaporizors are the best

I found a pretty scientific study years ago about this and they actually tested it

I think in a joint the heat from the cherry is moving closer and closer and vaporizing cannabinoids and terpenes before it even burns and resinated herb is in turn burning and vaporizing Alot going on

Good vapes cost money but its one of the "go to things" to have around....:biggrin:

7thson

I quit back in 1989 and my lungs feel a lot better,but when i smoke out of a bong a slight pain reemerges.I heard that it's dependent on how long you smoked for that makes the difference.

I hate cigarettes!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
How are you lungs 10+ years later? I've introduced pot to my dad and he's been enjoying the hell out of it for a while now, but it seems like his lungs just can't take the smoke. He claims to have smoked a pack a day for around 40 years and luckily now has a clean bill of health.

Do the lungs heal or are they left with irreversible damage?
... depends how long you smoked! The lungs will heal to full functionality (they won't gey worse) but, the damaged caused is indeed irreversible :(

Green Squall

... depends how long you smoked! The lungs will heal to full functionality (they won't gey worse) but, the damaged caused is indeed irreversible :(

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for. He quit in his early 50's and is in his mid 60's now. Lungs are perfectly fine until he smokes or even vapes. Anyone know if the larger tabletop vaporizers are smoother than handhelds such as the Arizer Solo?

troutman

Seed Whore
I think most body parts can somewhat recover. Albeit some at a very slow rate.

Get your father some edibles and see how he likes those.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If you are trying to convert a smoker to vaping, I strongly suggest the VapCap. It is a butane vape so the person still gets to play with a lighter. And, it vapes and feels a lot like a cigarette.

It's not the best overall vape I would recommend but it is definitely the best for a cigarette smoker attempting to change.

For battery operated travel vapes, I love my Fury2 from Healthy Rips. Desktop vape..... nothing better than the E-Nano from Epic Vapes.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for. He quit in his early 50's and is in his mid 60's now. Lungs are perfectly fine until he smokes or even vapes. Anyone know if the larger tabletop vaporizers are smoother than handhelds such as the Arizer Solo?
I'm 62 and in the same boat. I haven't smoked since Feb 2010. I vape and I am much much better for it. I can't smoke cannabis. My lungs simply won't hack it.

Green Squall

If you are trying to convert a smoker to vaping, I strongly suggest the VapCap. It is a butane vape so the person still gets to play with a lighter. And, it vapes and feels a lot like a cigarette.

It's not the best overall vape I would recommend but it is definitely the best for a cigarette smoker attempting to change.

For battery operated travel vapes, I love my Fury2 from Healthy Rips. Desktop vape..... nothing better than the E-Nano from Epic Vapes.

Not really trying to convert him and he doesn't even have urges to smoke tobacco anymore, I'm just trying to give him options. I think its about a year since he's been smoking weed and he strictly smokes it at night with a couple cocktails lol. He was intrigued when I first showed him my buds since all he ever experienced was nickel bags filled with stems and seeds as a kid.

Trout, he's had low dose edibles here and there but it leaves him groggy the next day and he runs his own business.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I love that I can share weed with my Dad. Never thought I'd see the day.

RB56

Veteran
I smoked for 40 years, been completely off for 2. Have a very hard time holding smoke from a joint. No problem at all with a Arizer Solo. Mostly do edibles now. Leave the lungs out of it.

Green Squall

I smoked for 40 years, been completely off for 2. Have a very hard time holding smoke from a joint. No problem at all with a Arizer Solo. Mostly do edibles now. Leave the lungs out of it.

Do you have a preferred setting on the Arizer Solo?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Prior to having an enjoyable day having open heart bypass surgery in 2005 I was essentially ordered by my cardiologist and the thoracic surgeon to quit which I did. I started smoking at age 11 and kept on keeping on until a few weeks before that surgery was done. They want you to quitting for several reasons, of course one of them is if you cough after you get your sternum cut open and rib cage opened you could be in trouble, certainly you will feel pain pain pain.

I never went back to that poison and only restarted smoking pot again maybe a year after the surgery. I'm entering the mid 60's fun phase

I intend to smoke weed til I'm dead and hopefully be buried with a little of my favorite stash......just in case

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The idea of sipping at a joint just doesn't seem to compute with cigarette smokers. They just see smoking as smoking, and cough their guts up. Then repeat. Displaying total defiance towards modifying their behaviour. They have to stop smoking tobacco for a considerable amount of time before breaking the habit, and replacing it with one where they're not hurting themselves. With the 'bigger is better' psychology displayed by most, the idea of a filter-thin 1 paper, with 0.4 in it, just seems unroll-ably small. Especially after years smoking the Olympic Torch.

I don't like a neat spliff wider than it's 6mm tip. If I stoke up anything bigger than that, the smoke comes too fast, and my windpipe says no. It was reading about cigars, that really explained the whole spectrum of sizes, and the effects. A bit of a 'wake up' call, really. You're probably filling in the blanks already.

For a real smooth J, get it dry enough to roll one, then once rolled, dampen it. You can do it now. Dip your finger in some water, and draw a wet line down the spliff your smoking. It will be dry again in a draw or two. I think you will be surprised how much of that freshly lit spliff effect you can get back, simply by putting the moisture back.

If I'm sat by a humidifier, I will always hold my joint in the visible stream between puffs. I occasional get a bit closer, but people joke I will drown :)

Latest posts

Latest posts