What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bong arm of the law: South Korea says they will arrest those who smoke 'erb in Canada

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Bong arm of the law: South Korea says it will arrest citizens who smoke weed in Canada.

Seoul reminds 23,000 South Korean students in Canada that domestic law applies to them no matter where they are.

For South Koreans in Canada, the police in their home country have no problem harshing their mellow.

Canada became the second country in the world to legalise recreational marijuana last week, but for South Koreans hoping to try the drug, their hopes have just gone up in smoke. Police in South Korea have repeatedly told their citizens not to partake in this newfound freedom, with the latest warning coming this week.

“Weed smokers will be punished according to the Korean law, even if they did so in countries where smoking marijuana is legal. There won’t be an exception,” said Yoon Se-jin, head of the narcotics crime investigation division at Gyeonggi Nambu provincial police agency, according to the Korea Times.

South Korean law is based on the concept that laws made in Seoul still apply to citizens anywhere in the world, and violations, even while abroad, can technically lead to punishment when they return home. Those who smoke weed could face up to five years in prison.

South Korea strictly enforces drugs laws even for small amounts, and celebrities caught smoking weed are often paraded in front of media for apology tours. Officials work to project an image of a “drug-free nation” and only about 12,000 drug arrests were made in 2015 in a country of more than 50 million people.

However, details on how police would test those returning from Canada remain hazy. Experts suggested enforcement would focus more on drug traffickers than casual users.

“South Korea can’t screen everyone who visited a foreign country, but the police maintain a blacklist that leads to certain individuals being supervised,” said Lee Chang-Hoon, a professor in the department of police administration at Hannam University in Daejeon. “But the police are more concerned with the transportation of marijuana into South Korea, and the police messaging shows they are anxious about tackling this issue in the near future.”

Judges in South Korea have a significant amount of discretion and will likely assess the crimes individually, Lee added, “especially when marijuana is prescribed of medical reasons”.

There are about 23,000 South Korean students in Canada, according to statistics from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Marijuana has a long history of use in making hemp fabric in South Korea and the plant was banned only in 1976 under dictator Park Chung-hee. Before prohibition only “Indian marijuana” was labelled as a narcotic and the drug was common in music and artistic circles in the 1960s and 1970s, where many took to “happy smoke”, as it was commonly called at the time, for inspiration.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...will-arrest-citizens-who-smoke-weed-in-canada

EvergreenState

State ownership of the people. The state rules your life wherever you go.
Beware of states in the United States wanting to control all aspects of marijuana once they legalize it. Those eagerly wanting their state to legalize pot be forewarned. Make sure any ballot measures are CLEAR
that an individual will be allowed to grow forever in your state. Leave no loophole open where they can take away your right to grow in the future. Make sure the measure is not vague in anyway regarding growing.
This, making the wording of measures and laws purposely vague or open to interpretation in the future ( lawyers using words that can be interpretted in various ways) is what states do with all laws and all measures. The measures and laws must state: It is legal in our state for the individual to grow up to six plants now and in the future. This right to grow can never be taken away or changed in anyway or for any reason. No future ballot measures or laws will be inacted or passed to change this right to grow matijuana in our state.
No laws or ballot measures will passed or inacted in the future that would give the state the right to inspect any individuals home grow. No insurance companies will be allowed to require in their homeowners policies an inspection of home grow operations or diminish the insurance protection of the growers home because he grows marijuana.
The individual counties and cities will not be allowed for any reason to pass laws, require inspections or measures that, in any way, resticts, diminishes or changes these states rights to grow marijuana for the individual.
You have to try and think of every possible loophole the state, businesses and local government agencies can use to restrict your right to grow because they will try to do that at every level of government. Governments can and will demand, with the use of force by law enforcemrnt agencies, the right to control your life and restrict your freedoms. They think they know what is best for you and they try to control your life by force if necessary. You allow them an inch and they will take a mile.

yardgrazer

I don't imagine it would pass constitutional muster to bar future ballot measures (or legislative acts depending on method) from amending a law.

In the meantime, probably wise of South Korean students not to smoke herb with other South Koreans. Laws are crazy sometimes.

iBogart

Veteran
I don't imagine it would pass constitutional muster to bar future ballot measures (or legislative acts depending on method) from amending a law.

In the meantime, probably wise of South Korean students not to smoke herb with other South Koreans. Laws are crazy sometimes.

The laws haven't changed in my state. Still prohibition land. Still smoke'n :dance013:

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, the South is like the North's reformed cultist sister. Lives a normal life but is still kinda bonkers. I guess if they get caught their best bet is to settle (lol) for USA/CAN/GER/UK. What a shame that would be for us to have those educated minds stay in our countries :rolleyes:.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Gypsy

How about this scenario .
I smoke in Cali / Amsterdam / Barcelona / Canukistan where its legal in the morning . Then fly to Thailand , pass customs . Grab a taxi to the city . Head to a bar . Cops / Army raid the bar and I`m forced to piss in a cup . Turns purple ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've never had to piss in a cup for the cops, when I have been in a bar in Thailand - but I did once see a very talented lady on the stage - who used her 'lady bits' to fire a ping-pong ball across the bar and into my gin and tonic - so I asked the bar staff to change my drink - and the bastards wanted to charge me for it!

G `day Gypsy

How about this scenario .
I smoke in Cali / Amsterdam / Barcelona / Canukistan where its legal in the morning . Then fly to Thailand , pass customs . Grab a taxi to the city . Head to a bar . Cops / Army raid the bar and I`m forced to piss in a cup . Turns purple ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've never had to piss in a cup for the cops, when I have been in a bar in Thailand - but I did once see a very talented lady on the stage - who used her 'lady bits' to fire a ping-pong ball across the bar and into my gin and tonic - so I asked the bar staff to change my drink - and the bastards wanted to charge me for it!

Haha what a story! I can picture it in my mind perfectly lol. I bet you that there was at least one creep in that bar that would have bought your drink off you. Thailand sounds like a wild place from all the stories I've heard about it.

blackone

Veteran
Lawmakers don't always make laws that prevent subsequent laws repealing them.
But when they do they call it a constitution:)

State ownership of the people. The state rules your life wherever you go.
Beware of states in the United States wanting to control all aspects of marijuana once they legalize it. Those eagerly wanting their state to legalize pot be forewarned. Make sure any ballot measures are CLEAR
that an individual will be allowed to grow forever in your state. Leave no loophole open where they can take away your right to grow in the future. Make sure the measure is not vague in anyway regarding growing.
This, making the wording of measures and laws purposely vague or open to interpretation in the future ( lawyers using words that can be interpretted in various ways) is what states do with all laws and all measures. The measures and laws must state: It is legal in our state for the individual to grow up to six plants now and in the future. This right to grow can never be taken away or changed in anyway or for any reason. No future ballot measures or laws will be inacted or passed to change this right to grow matijuana in our state.
No laws or ballot measures will passed or inacted in the future that would give the state the right to inspect any individuals home grow. No insurance companies will be allowed to require in their homeowners policies an inspection of home grow operations or diminish the insurance protection of the growers home because he grows marijuana.
The individual counties and cities will not be allowed for any reason to pass laws, require inspections or measures that, in any way, resticts, diminishes or changes these states rights to grow marijuana for the individual.
You have to try and think of every possible loophole the state, businesses and local government agencies can use to restrict your right to grow because they will try to do that at every level of government. Governments can and will demand, with the use of force by law enforcemrnt agencies, the right to control your life and restrict your freedoms. They think they know what is best for you and they try to control your life by force if necessary. You allow them an inch and they will take a mile.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

G `day Gypsy

Oh well ,things might have changed since you were last there .
The army have the same powers as police ATM .

Cups and pissing are all the rage the last few years under the military junta .

They even have a portable mass spectrometer they pull out for the big jobs when they clear the slums !

The sight of the army with M16s locking down night clubs was not a great tourism advertisement .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Klompen

Decades of propaganda by the US and South Korean leaders has lead many Americans to mistakenly believe Korea is a democracy when in fact it is actually a military government with limited democratic elements. That's better than it used to be, since it was a military dictatorship until the 1970s. The oppressive government that the US military installed in Korea after WW2 killed tens of thousands of people with US weapons in order to enforce "democracy" on the newly-independent nation.

Then again, Americans largely believe they live in a democracy too, so its hardly the only delusion they suffer from.

Latest posts

Latest posts