What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to maintain container soil

CrushnYuba

You seem to know a good deal about microbes. More then me for sure. I just know what works gardening from common sense and trial and error. Can i ask you what you think about compost teas?

bigbadbiddy

It is a little more complicated than that BBB. Different microbes have differing methods of self preservation. You would need to study up on these before drawing conclusions.
For example, some flagellates will encyst when they detect their environment is drying or freezing.

A cyst might exist intact for 100 years or 2 days prior to excysting.

Shit, you are right.

What were they called in the common tongue, water bears or something? Tardigrades I believe was their scientific name.

Not sure if "micro animals" and microbes are in the same category but tardigrades can, if memory serves, even survive vacuum, extreme temperatures for sure.
Makes sense that there are at least some types of microbes that can compete with the tardigrade in terms of survivalism.

So basically, to get back to OP's question, he shouldn't worry too much about it. While freezing solid, even that wouldn't "kill" the soil completely, just part of the microherd would be negatively affected?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every single one of the nutrient cycling microbes I've studied has a self preservation routine. If you look at my video you see this in action. It is valuable to use local microbes so if it freezes in your area, this is part of the natural cycle.

DTOM420

Every single one of the nutrient cycling microbes I've studied has a self preservation routine. If you look at my video you see this in action. It is valuable to use local microbes so if it freezes in your area, this is part of the natural cycle.

That’s a great point about the indigenous microbes. I’m wanting to make some IMO but can’t find wheat mill run anywhere in my area. I even checked our local Co-ops but came up with snake eyes! I actually just posted a thread asking about substitutes I could use for WMR - any suggestions? Hopefully something a little more widely available.

DTOM,

Use wheat bran.

GB

That’s a great point about the indigenous microbes. I’m wanting to make some IMO but can’t find wheat mill run anywhere in my area. I even checked our local Co-ops but came up with snake eyes! I actually just posted a thread asking about substitutes I could use for WMR - any suggestions? Hopefully something a little more widely available.

DTOM420

DTOM,

Use wheat bran.

GB

10-4. Is that going to be available at a brew store? I’m heading to the Ciudad Grande this morning and I’ll have a rare opportunity to have access to all sorts of stores! I was going to try and pick up some sprouted barley for teas, anyway. Sure would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Streft

Wmr was used originally because that's what they had it was cheap and a waste product. If u can't get that any grain based chaf or ground up grains will work. Barley wheat rye millet any cereal grain. That's the whole point of knf is using what's there and what's cheap and sustainable. I would assume even sawdust or cardboard even news paper would work just like em1. And any malted grains used to make imo would only be a bonus I would think. Best of luck

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10-4. Is that going to be available at a brew store? I’m heading to the Ciudad Grande this morning and I’ll have a rare opportunity to have access to all sorts of stores! I was going to try and pick up some sprouted barley for teas, anyway. Sure would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I get wheat bran at livestock feed stores. It is cheap and in 50 lb sacks - about $12

You do not need to make indigenous microbes. Just using some of your local soil will be ample plus spores are in the air for many of them. Take a clue from sour dough bread makers.

DTOM420

I get wheat bran at livestock feed stores. It is cheap and in 50 lb sacks - about $12

You do not need to make indigenous microbes. Just using some of your local soil will be ample plus spores are in the air for many of them. Take a clue from sour dough bread makers.

I saw this too late, lol! I found wheat bran at a feed store because I was 3 hours from home. No feed stores in my area sell any wheat products. Lol! It wasn’t cheap either - $20 for a 50# sack. Malted valet was really[I\] not cheap - $50 for $50#!

Since I got the bran I’m gonna make it anyway. Might not be “necessary” but it won’t hurt and it’ll be educational. I’m guessing I may be able to get a wide variety in somewhat higher concentrations slightly more quickly? Part of my reasoning is to inoculate some biochar I’m planning to make this winter, in the homemade kiln I’m working on.

Thanks for the reply but I already had it all loaded up before I saw your post. Lol! Oops!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw this too late, lol! I found wheat bran at a feed store because I was 3 hours from home. No feed stores in my area sell any wheat products. Lol! It wasn’t cheap either - $20 for a 50# sack. Malted valet was really[I\] not cheap - $50 for $50#!

Since I got the bran I’m gonna make it anyway. Might not be “necessary” but it won’t hurt and it’ll be educational. I’m guessing I may be able to get a wide variety in somewhat higher concentrations slightly more quickly? Part of my reasoning is to inoculate some biochar I’m planning to make this winter, in the homemade kiln I’m working on.

Thanks for the reply but I already had it all loaded up before I saw your post. Lol! Oops!

Hey go for it. Bran is great for a few things. Growing out nematodes being one.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Q

Q

microbeman, What simple ingredient can I add to my outdoor plots to make more resin besides compost?

DTOM420

microbeman, What simple ingredient can I add to my outdoor plots to make more resin besides compost?

I’m sure MM will be around shortly but I doubt there’s a simple answer to that question, lol! There’s a lot that goes into resinous buds. First and formost is genetics. Then comes overall plant health and soil/microbial health. I mean, there’s nothing that you can amend your soil with that’s going to take a average resin producer and turn it into a hash plant or Original Glue. The most perfect soil ever is simply going to allow a plant to reach its optimal genetic potential; but that requires perfect soil conditions throughout Its growth- not just during flower.

While I’m way far away from the perfect soil, my plants have really been responding to the use of Recharge throughout my grow and Mammoth P added from right before flower through harvest. I’m also making sure to include plenty of P and K into my soil so it’s available for those microbes. I’m also inoculating with Myco when I pop seeds (initial tap root, at every transplant. And in 1 watering per month. Probably unnecessary in water but it can’t hurt.

Hope this helps some. Happy growing!

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You seem to know a good deal about microbes. More then me for sure. I just know what works gardening from common sense and trial and error. Can i ask you what you think about compost teas?

Sorry, I missed this and presume it is directed at me. To tell a little joke this is like asking Jesus what he thinks about walking on water. There are numerous links to my site throughout this forum but if you google microbe organics you will find lots of info.