What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks MJ,

what kind of CBD (phenos and/or terps) were you thinking
that may or may not be associated with cherry flavor....?

what made you think that in the first place....?

curious....how you arrived at that...

this is exactly the kind of insight im looking for...

any more thoughts on it..?

thanks pal, :biggrin:

-axle r robot

Suggestion was made because I seem to recall reading how CBD was associated with cherry flavors and that the extracted oil seems to be red(ish) in color.
CBD is CBD as far as I know so no specific type... maybe it needs to be decarbed versus CBDA...

axle2u

Suggestion was made because I seem to recall reading how CBD was associated with cherry flavors and that the extracted oil seems to be red(ish) in color.
CBD is CBD as far as I know so no specific type... maybe it needs to be decarbed versus CBDA...

thank you for your insight...

axle a robot

axle2u

G `day A2

There are some clones around that have been tested as CBD plants .
They have a cherry terpene .
Pakistani plants can also have this smell .

CBD delays onset if mixed with THC - creeper . CBD will moderate the uptake of THC - long legs / has legs .

Familiar effects for people over 50 .
Opposite of the Oh fck I`m wasted , then 1 hour later I`m not , coffe shop weed in Amsterdam .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

"Pakistani plants have this smell"....

now am I to understand the smell as a type of floral cherry smell ?.....interesting

if so, perhaps the (PCK) Pakistani Citral Kush, with its red pistils
and purplish redness.....might also provide the coloration im looking for as well as the aroma....? yes...?

or back to the red leb landrace ?
bekka valley...?

thanks again

axle b. robot

axle2u

my update,

after some more digging and research, I have a few more selections for
"likely candidates" of flower that would potentially offer a cherry flavor and/or red coloration.
Some of these selected strains Ive already ordered in seeds.

-red Lebanese hash plant -landrace, -seeds from bekka valley
-panama red
-pck (pakistan citral kush) -landrace
-cherry kiss (hybrid)

a robot

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day A2

The red may have come from the plant material .
Oil uses solvents that can strip plant wax and chlorophyll if you expose the plant material for longer times .

These days we know QUISO is a nicer product than longer exposure .

So I think it could be from red / amber trichs , or red leaves , flowers exposed to the solvent for extended soaking .

Red flowers might not stain the oil if exposed 30 seconds , but could if exposed for say 5 mins .
Still not certain it would stain red and not black .

Anthocyanin could be the factor you are chasing .

Anthocyanins (also anthocyans; from Greek: ἄνθος (anthos) "flower" and κυάνεος/κυανοῦς kyaneos/kyanous "dark blue") are water-soluble vacuolar pigments that, depending on their pH, may appear red, purple, or blue.

Thanks for sharin

EB .

axle2u

G `day A2

The red may have come from the plant material .
Oil uses solvents that can strip plant wax and chlorophyll if you expose the plant material for longer times .

These days we know QUISO is a nicer product than longer exposure .

So I think it could be from red / amber trichs , or red leaves , flowers exposed to the solvent for extended soaking .

Red flowers might not stain the oil if exposed 30 seconds , but could if exposed for say 5 mins .
Still not certain it would stain red and not black .

Anthocyanin could be the factor you are chasing .

Anthocyanins (also anthocyans; from Greek: ἄνθος (anthos) "flower" and κυάνεος/κυανοῦς kyaneos/kyanous "dark blue") are water-soluble vacuolar pigments that, depending on their pH, may appear red, purple, or blue.

Thanks for sharin

EB .

thank you, yes I agree about the Anthocyanin(s).
they are responsible for the red, purple, and pink coloration found in red purple and pink flower at maturity.

however, (from my understanding of my research) you need this to start with, a strain with these characteristics. AS WELL AS, cultivated properly.

outdoor grow is more a natural environment for the red, purples and pink to develop, an indoor grow would be more complex.
indoor, you will need complete control of your grow environment,
shorter days is easy of course by switching from veg(18/6) to a flower stage (12/12) light cycle, the trick is temps too tho.

you must figure a way to cool your grow room down at night during the dark periods, dropping temps to 60F-55F.
this replicates end of season, jack frost around the corner kinda thing, and tricks the plants into producing more anthocyanins as it prepares for frost, turning leaves and buds purple, red and/or pink...sometimes bud, sometimes leaves, sometimes pink or red pistils, depending on the strain of course. -very interesting

im involved with indoor, and im figuring how to amend my grow cabinet to be capable of lower temps at night, the only solution I can come up with is air conditioner.... next grow, im going red

also, yes it may be possible to brew a red oil, utilizing red material perhaps that is the easiest way, im not sure yet
but there is another way too, in the extraction process the use of some type of acid, to either bump up ph or lower the ph of the extract, during the chemical process, its said to turn the oil red.

again, im not sure I havnt tried that yet.

this is all from just what ive researched and read about it on the internet, here and there....so at this point still speculation.

but im almost 1yr into it, ive come so far from zero, but still got a long road to travel.

axle robot

axle2u

also as an after thought, I was also wondering about "related" fruit flavors
that could be mistaken for a cherry flavor....if you were to do the blind pepsi / coke test
lets say, with a strawberry cough strain, would you taste cherries, if you were unaware of the strain name...?? -curious

axle robot

axle2u

another candidate, - cherry kiss
reportedly sweet cherry flavour

picture.php

axle2u

my cherry bomb strain, (2 mature ladies, and -8 coming up thru the ranks)
are into flower cycle 3 weeks deep, another 6 weeks perhaps, then 30 days cure

so about end of june....experiement # 1 will be concluded I figure
(cherry bomb extraction, maybe a cherry flavored oil, don't know 'till I get there)

experiment # 2 is also underway,
acquired Red Lebenese Hash Plant (landrace) seeds, germinating now -from bekka valley
perhaps a reddish extract, with a mango or cherry flavor, not sure yet....lol

the following year, I plan on trying panama red, experiment # 3
and perhaps, scarlet queen and/or PCK, experiment 4 & 5...

so im thinking 2 yrs,
before I might find the right material to ultimately use in an extract

then its work on the recipe...
I have a few different recipes to try as well,
one is very involved, using acid to alter ph values,
supposedly turning the color red...

this is exactly where im at with it all, so far...
hell ya, im determined as a brick shit house wall.....haha

picture.php

IMG]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79945&pictureid=1937018[/IMG]

axle b robot-ish

Last edited:

axle2u

picture.php

a typical close up, bud shot, developing week 5ish

picture.php

my fav bud shot above,
note the creamy tone, and just a touch pinkish color,
bud developing.....she does look like, or reminds me of icecream

picture.php

some nice colas are developing in my grow cabinet
check my latest album, for more pics

be kind, and rewind....lol
ya, remember way back when....

-axle b robotish (at times)

Last edited:

axle2u

here is some interesting affects
of using AC to chill my plants at night (indoor)
to produce extra resin....

plants are tricked into thinking frost is coming, and produce extra resin to protect themselves from frost, note the pink and reds, in the trichome stalks....

used a 30 power jewllers loop attached to cell ph, to snap pics of triches, note the red thread running up the stalk of trichome

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=
80574&pictureid=1954993

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pretty cool trick.....lol

axle robot

yahooman

do you think its possible that old cherry oil had some kind of cherry extract or flavoring in it?that would explain the color as well

axle2u

do you think its possible that old cherry oil had some kind of cherry extract or flavoring in it?that would explain the color as well

nope, its all about the right material,
and the right recipe (chemical reactions, ph balance, ect)

that much I am sure of,
I have read about a type of acid used to alter the ph balance of extract, and it supposedly produces a red oil...

you cant just flavor it, like a slurpie....haha
awh, wish ya could tho....

axle

grayeyes

Axle2u,

I think you are on the right track with CB. I seriously doubt that any Lebby is going to have the cherry taste you are seeking.

On another note, from your pictures it looks like you have a 'green' phenome as compared to the 'red stem' phenome. the red stem is supposed to have more of the cherry cough drop taste. But from the tricome pictures you may have the cherry in there somewhere. I would bet our friend Mr. G could elaborate about that.

I would, when ready, harvest and cure it for at least three months. Then get some bags and shake it with some of the pelletized dry ice. When you have your pile then it is time to go find an electric burner, for safety. I would mix the kief with the best highest proof alcohol you can find then slowly cook it. With alcohol you don't want flame anywhere near it. I would try it in small batches experimenting until you get where you want to go.

Best of luck. Oh, and thank god you kept a male. These seeds are hard to find and Swami's prices are a little out of my comfort zone.

yahooman

nope, its all about the right material,
and the right recipe (chemical reactions, ph balance, ect)

that much I am sure of,
I have read about a type of acid used to alter the ph balance of extract, and it supposedly produces a red oil...

you cant just flavor it, like a slurpie....haha
awh, wish ya could tho....

axle

why not?you easily could if the flavoring was oil based....

Before cannabis alchemy came out there was a paperback booklet circulating called "the red oil report"
the process required distilled acetone or petroleum ether, carbon powders for removing waxes and tolunes and involved the addition of water and freezing to the process before the final separation and distilling into oil
The process produced red or light amber product and one of the tricks to add flavor was to also add an amount of cherry brandy to the solution before final distillation.
I don't remember all the details of the process but I did help with a few big oil runs back in the day.

yahooman

Before cannabis alchemy came out there was a paperback booklet circulating called "the red oil report"
the process required distilled acetone or petroleum ether, carbon powders for removing waxes and tolunes and involved the addition of water and freezing to the process before the final separation and distilling into oil
The process produced red or light amber product and one of the tricks to add flavor was to also add an amount of cherry brandy to the solution before final distillation.
I don't remember all the details of the process but I did help with a few big oil runs back in the day.

i bet that red oil would sell for big bucks now!!!

axle2u

this is a very interesting post, thank you....
if you can think of anything more, that might help derive a recipe
I would be extremely grateful...

it seems like a lost art.....
currently, I as well as everyone here...ontario
has no access to food grade ethanol or everclear...
the govrnmt here, doesn't allow, however in alberta and quebec
you can buy everclear...

I am working on getting a gov. permit tho
and if im lucky enough to be "allowed" to buy food grade ethanol
then I would be inclined to try the cherry brandy as well...
very interesting approach, alcohol and ethanol...working in tandem
it does seem possible, perhaps

thank you sir.....:tiphat:

-axle b. robot

Latest posts

Latest posts