What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roomba any Good ?

St. Phatty

I need all the help I can get with house-cleaning.

The chicken sneaks in, almost as good as sneaking in as the cat is at sneaking out.

The chicken eats the cat food, and makes the usual chicken scratching motion that sends the food all over the floor.

Can a Roomba pick up cat kibble ?

Is the Roomba useful or is it just a Yuppie toy ?

Would love to hear stories about useful cleaning tech.

The arc of my Mom's Roomba story - it didn't help her, she gave it to my brother & hired a maid once a month.

Gry

If it would amuse the cats, that would give it more value than a vacuum cleaner.

DTOM420

We love ours! Couldnt do without it. We have stained concrete floors and a few rugs, though; and the bulk of the house is on one floor. So, that makes it suited for a Roomba. It keeps dog and cat hair under control as well as dust and dirt we all bring in on outlet feet from the fields. We’re no yuppies, lol. I’ll buy another when this one dies - hopefully years from now.

St. Phatty

We love ours! Couldnt do without it. We have stained concrete floors and a few rugs, though; and the bulk of the house is on one floor. So, that makes it suited for a Roomba. It keeps dog and cat hair under control as well as dust and dirt we all bring in on outlet feet from the fields. We’re no yuppies, lol. I’ll buy another when this one dies - hopefully years from now.

Thanks for the product review.

Wish I could get the people who like it, together with the people who don't like it, in an average home with carpet and hardwood floors, to see where the product fails & succeeds.

I would like to have a cleaning product that can pick up bird turds.

Birds are sort of great for cleaning, they go around eating everything on the floor.

dddaver

Veteran
I have always thought emptying it constantly would be a problem. If they developed one that would not only return to home to recharge, but also go up a small incline at it's home and empty itself while recharging they might have something. Provided they actually worked. The emptying receptacle wouldn't have to be that big, just be enough to hold a few days of refuse. I would imagine there would be a market willing to pay the added cost for this feature.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I have always thought emptying it constantly would be a problem. If they developed one that would not only return to home to recharge, but also go up a small incline at it's home and empty itself while recharging they might have something. Provided they actually worked. The emptying receptacle wouldn't have to be that big, just be enough to hold a few days of refuse. I would imagine there would be a market willing to pay the added cost for this feature.
I just saw a commercial today about a rumba that uplods its rumba load to an external sourced vacuum bag.. how big is the bag I have no idea..

https://store.irobot.com/default/ro...um-irobot-roomba-i7-plus/i755020.html#start=1

About $1K.. but youre all lazy stoners.. :biggrin:

OTOH it could scare the ship out of you sometime...:bigeye:

St. Phatty

I just saw a commercial today about a rumba that uplods its rumba load to an external sourced vacuum bag.. how big is the bag I have no idea..

https://store.irobot.com/default/ro...um-irobot-roomba-i7-plus/i755020.html#start=1

Thanks for the link. Seems about 3 times too expensive.

But I guess that just means, the early adopters pay for the R&D.

I'd rather have one that could deal with chicken droppings than one that empties itself.

Though I guess if it's full of wet chicken droppings, I might want it to empty itself.